The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

How is accommodation here?

I plan on going here next year or year after and I have a few questions ab the accommodation provided by the uni.

Do I just pay rent and everything else is included? Eg WiFi, water…. Is houses shared or can I live by my self? How good is WiFi? I’m bit of a tech geek so this is a big deal to me. What ISP they use? Is there an option to connect to internet via Ethernet rather then wireless wifi? Are rooms in good condition? Is the building full of people who smoke weed? Do I need to move out and live in another place after my first year?

Ik these are some weird questions but I gotta know in what type of environment I’m gonna be in for the next 3 years.
Reply 1
Do I just pay rent and everything else is included?
Yes, Utilities are included if you are going to be living in Uni accomodation.

Are houses shared or can I live by my self?
Most of the Uni accomodation options are shared houses/flats (some shared rooms too), but there are studio options too.

Do I need to move out and live in another place after my first year?
Almost definitely, though if you have a diagnosed medical condition or disability you might be able to stay in Uni accomodation past first year. (https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/applying-for-university-accommodation-if-you-have-a-diagnosed-medical-condition-or-disability/)

Hope this helps :smile:

(This could be useful for you: https://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/undergraduate-accommodation-prices/
And this: https://www.bath.ac.uk/student-accommodation/choose-your-undergraduate-student-accommodation-options/)
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by ja_cob
Do I just pay rent and everything else is included?
Yes, Utilities are included if you are going to be living in Uni accomodation.
Are houses shared or can I live by my self?
Most of the Uni accomodation options are shared houses/flats (some shared rooms too), but there are studio options too.
Do I need to move out and live in another place after my first year?
Almost definitely, though if you have a diagnosed medical condition or disability you might be able to stay in Uni accomodation past first year. (https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/applying-for-university-accommodation-if-you-have-a-diagnosed-medical-condition-or-disability/)
Hope this helps :smile:
(This could be useful for you: https://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/undergraduate-accommodation-prices/
And this: https://www.bath.ac.uk/student-accommodation/choose-your-undergraduate-student-accommodation-options/)

Hi There,

Hopefully this helps answer some of your questions:

1. In first year, yes you just pay for your rent you don’t have to worry about bills or anything like that this is all included. Generally, there are 3 payment instalments due dates in the year for your accommodation. However in your second year, when you come to moving out, you will likely have to pay bills separately and sort this yourself.

2. In first year we have a range of options to choose from including on campus accommodation and city accommodation. Most of our rooms are single occupancy but if you wanted a cheaper option then shared rooms are available. Most accommodation are “flats” with shared kitchens. We also have en-suite and shared bathroom options too. Alternatively you can choose a studio with your own bathroom and kitchen but these are more expensive options. You can browse through our accommodation options here: Choose your undergraduate student accommodation options (bath.ac.uk) and compare prices with this table here: Undergraduate accommodation prices (bath.ac.uk)

3. Wifi is good! The university uses Eduroam which you can connect to via your university log in. It also automatically connects to Eduroam on other university campuses too if you are visiting.

4. ResNet Policy (bath.ac.uk)
5. Rooms are in good condition when you move in, these are cleaned thoroughly before you move in and if you find any issues then the accommodation team are very good at resolving these issues promptly. The only thing I would recommend getting is a mattress topper if you wanted to be more comfortable.

6. Yes, after your first year you have to find housing elsewhere unless you have circumstances where it would be more beneficial for you to be on campus i.e. a disability or medical condition. Most students get rent a house to share in an area called Oldfield park. Alternatively there is private student accommodation if you didnt want to go through with Landlords and agencies etc. You will most likely have to sort bills as a house unless you go through with a package deal with a provider such as UniHomes where you pay a set amount monthly. However, this could mean you end up paying more than what you use so I recommend sorting WIFI, Gas and electricity and water separately (TV license - optional).

I hope this has helped answer you questions and please let me know if you have any more!

Sharon (3rd year student)
Open Day bookings are now open - places go fast - Undergraduate Open Days (bath.ac.uk)
Original post by Anonymous
I plan on going here next year or year after and I have a few questions ab the accommodation provided by the uni.
Do I just pay rent and everything else is included? Eg WiFi, water…. Is houses shared or can I live by my self? How good is WiFi? I’m bit of a tech geek so this is a big deal to me. What ISP they use? Is there an option to connect to internet via Ethernet rather then wireless wifi? Are rooms in good condition? Is the building full of people who smoke weed? Do I need to move out and live in another place after my first year?
Ik these are some weird questions but I gotta know in what type of environment I’m gonna be in for the next 3 years.

The university accommodation is not for the whole duration, just first year. Most are shared, you have your own private room, some with en-suite, shared kitchen and living spaces. After this you’ll find accommodation in the city as they prioritise first years to accom. Usually people go with their current flat mates or new friends to live in the city student accommodation which is privately owned. On campus, the wifi, bills etc is free with the rent cost, which is paid per term (It should be stated but I’m sure). You can pay extra for studio in first year, but I wouldn’t recommend this as it makes it harder to get to know people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending