The Student Room Group

biology starch/leaves question

The question goes something like this:
A student left a leaf in a plant kept in light for 4 days/ They left another leaf in light for 2 days and then no light for 2 days.
1. explain why the leaf left in light for four days contained glucose and starch
2. explain why the leaf left in the cupboard with light for two and then no light for two days had glucose but not starch
The question goes something like this:
A student left a leaf in a plant kept in light for 4 days/ They left another leaf in light for 2 days and then no light for 2 days.
1. explain why the leaf left in light for four days contained glucose and starch
2. explain why the leaf left in the cupboard with light for two and then no light for two days had glucose but not starch
Light -> photosynthesis -> glucose.
More light, more photosynthesis - overall more glucose is produced in calvin cycle due to more NADPH and more ATP from the light dependent reaction.
Leaf in light in 4 days produced enough glucose, that it began to store excess as starch. Whereas 2 day light leaf did not.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
I dunno what the Calvin cycle is and whatnot but I think I get the gist. It was a gcse question. Question 1 was 2 marks, Q3 was 3 marks. My bad. Should of specified.

Quick Reply