The Student Room Group

I'm autistic ask me anything

Hi,
In honour of autism acceptance week feel free to ask me anything or share experiences
As someone with a similar condition how would you say you condition has impacted your relationships with friends and family.
Reply 2
Original post by King_George_Weah
As someone with a similar condition how would you say you condition has impacted your relationships with friends and family.

For relationships with friends I hadn't made a friend until I started at uni and was quite badly bullied through the other times in education. My friends at the moment I have made through disability services and are also autistic which has helped a lot (I'm not sure how to categorise who my friends are as I'm not good at what fits that criteria but some have referred to me as that)

As for family I think I'm in situation where my dad doesn't speak to any of his family and my mum comes from a small family so don't see anyone apart from my parents and gran. Overall my parents are good sometimes stressful etc but generally understanding and they help explain it to others but apart from them I don't really have any cousins or aunts or uncles that I see so don't have that dynamic which I normally feel very glad about

Hope that helps
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Hi,
In honour of autism acceptance week feel free to ask me anything or share experiences

How did you get diagnosed?
Reply 4
Original post by inland-precision
How did you get diagnosed?

Hi,
I'm not totally sure if you mean how did I get to the assessment process or what the assessment itself was like so I'll answer both sorry if its a bit long

So originally in primary school the SENDco said to my parents they thought I had autism but I couldn't as I was a girl and my parents were like we also think that but girls can have autism, then every year or so my parents mentioned they thought I had autism at this point I had no clue what it meant and they couldn't go through the doctors as the school refused to help. I then went to High school had terrible attendance and struggled to stay in class so the school knew something wasn't right in Y9 my parents were able to get me onto the SEND wait list and they were talking about the autism and the school was like yeah we agree but we can't provide evidence until I was fully with the team sort of thing. Then in Y11 I was on the SEND document and then the pandemic hit so during that time they did the forms and I was referred. It then took from Y11 until the year after Y13 (I was doing a gap year) to get the assessment and diagnosis I was told the wait would be longer but they outsourced to some private companies. Luckily I was able to receive some support in Y11 to Y13 otherwise I probably wouldn't have ended up going to school

For the assessment process itself it started with getting some forms for me and my parents to fill out (these were very long) then a couple of weeks later we went to the assessment, my mum was asked questions by herself, I was then also asked some similar questions and to do some tasks called the ADOS and they put all the information together and provided a diagnosis

Hope this answers let me know if you want anything more specific (I can't give the specific questions or the ADOS tasks though)
Are both your parents white?
Reply 6
Original post by Little pecker
Are both your parents white?

Yes

Quick Reply

Latest