The Student Room Group

How to Maximise Term Breaks and Revise Effectively

Hey everyone 😀

When we think of a term break, our initial thought is often longed-for relaxation and doing nothing. However, it is wise to see it as a chance to make meaningful steps towards our academic goals.

Consider how many hours or days we let slip away during these breaks when we could be utilising them effectively while still allowing ourselves time to unwind and recharge. It is all about finding that balance.

I will be sharing my top tips on how to make the most out of term breaks and revise effectively for exams, whether they are A-levels or university tests.

The first crucial step in my exam preparation involves crafting a schedule that keeps me on course and accommodates long enough breaks and unexpected delays. To start, I immerse myself in understanding the exam content.

Once I have pinpointed the topics to cover, I organise them into manageable chunks, allocating weeks or days based on the exam's scope and my available time. It is essential to be practical, factoring in breaks and leisure time.

Creating a feasible schedule has been pivotal in my exam success, significantly reducing stress associated with the fear of failure and meeting deadlines. Remember, setting achievable goals is the key to avoiding overwhelming discouragement from overestimating one's capabilities.

Choosing a study technique is an individual decision since everyone has unique learning preferences. It is advantageous to explore different methods to discover what suits you best.

For me, I typically begin by generating notes from the textbook, lecture slides, or both. The act of writing aids in solidifying my understanding as I rewrite and rephrase the material. Once I have created the notes, I review them to reinforce retention and highlight key concepts.

Moreover, I integrate active learning techniques like online quizzes, solving past papers, or interacting with mock exercises.

Another successful tactic involves creating sets of questions derived from the material and subsequently answering them. This holistic learning method greatly enhances my memory and promotes better information retention. Additionally, it serves as a valuable resource for review at any time in the future.

Alright, but what if motivation is lacking? Well, that is precisely why the first step is crafting a schedule. Often, motivation weakens because we are unsure where to begin, how to start, what tasks to tackle, and how much time they will consume.

Research indicates that a strong schedule is vital for achieving goals successfully. Take the time to carefully consider these aspects and create an achievable and realistic schedule. Ensure it includes ample breaks and leisure time, so you do not feel overwhelmed. This way, you will have peace of mind, knowing your term break is not just about oppressive studying but also about enjoying some free time.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Best of luck with your exams, and do not forget about rest,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Original post by De Montfort University
Hey everyone 😀
When we think of a term break, our initial thought is often longed-for relaxation and doing nothing. However, it is wise to see it as a chance to make meaningful steps towards our academic goals.
Consider how many hours or days we let slip away during these breaks when we could be utilising them effectively while still allowing ourselves time to unwind and recharge. It is all about finding that balance.
I will be sharing my top tips on how to make the most out of term breaks and revise effectively for exams, whether they are A-levels or university tests.
The first crucial step in my exam preparation involves crafting a schedule that keeps me on course and accommodates long enough breaks and unexpected delays. To start, I immerse myself in understanding the exam content.
Once I have pinpointed the topics to cover, I organise them into manageable chunks, allocating weeks or days based on the exam's scope and my available time. It is essential to be practical, factoring in breaks and leisure time.
Creating a feasible schedule has been pivotal in my exam success, significantly reducing stress associated with the fear of failure and meeting deadlines. Remember, setting achievable goals is the key to avoiding overwhelming discouragement from overestimating one's capabilities.
Choosing a study technique is an individual decision since everyone has unique learning preferences. It is advantageous to explore different methods to discover what suits you best.
For me, I typically begin by generating notes from the textbook, lecture slides, or both. The act of writing aids in solidifying my understanding as I rewrite and rephrase the material. Once I have created the notes, I review them to reinforce retention and highlight key concepts.
Moreover, I integrate active learning techniques like online quizzes, solving past papers, or interacting with mock exercises.
Another successful tactic involves creating sets of questions derived from the material and subsequently answering them. This holistic learning method greatly enhances my memory and promotes better information retention. Additionally, it serves as a valuable resource for review at any time in the future.
Alright, but what if motivation is lacking? Well, that is precisely why the first step is crafting a schedule. Often, motivation weakens because we are unsure where to begin, how to start, what tasks to tackle, and how much time they will consume.
Research indicates that a strong schedule is vital for achieving goals successfully. Take the time to carefully consider these aspects and create an achievable and realistic schedule. Ensure it includes ample breaks and leisure time, so you do not feel overwhelmed. This way, you will have peace of mind, knowing your term break is not just about oppressive studying but also about enjoying some free time.
I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.
Best of luck with your exams, and do not forget about rest,
Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University

this is such good advice! thank you for the post :biggrin:!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending