The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Social Work - University Of Leeds 2024

I have my interview for social work at Leeds on Monday and I'm so nervous! I'm currently a 24 year old 'mature' student coming off a Leeds foundation year. Could anyone offer any advice for the social work interview?
Firstly, congratulations on the apprenticeship and goodluck for the interview.
They usually ask what made you choose to do social work.
During your interview, talk about the fact you want social justice , advocate for others to empower them by making them feel in control of their own lives but with your help,to make their voices heard and needs meet. Protect them from harm and neglect. Mitigate discrimination andoppression. Change socially constructed ideas embedded in society that marginalise people / minority community. For my interview they ask questions related to specific situations. For example, what would you do and howcould you help a young black person that was homeless .Sleeping rough in an area known by having substance misuse users (but the person was not a user) but marginalised and penalised because of stereotypes andstigma created by society. Laws that were not helpful inassisting this person because of lack of employment,opportunities or no connections to the area. What are the implications of no housing because of no local connections ? no benefits because they don’t have abank account or a job? Having to ask for food in the streets but the public ignores this person begging forfood/ fluid (basic needs).Apply human rights knowledge and safeguarding to situation. They also ask you so share an “interesting” case you have dealt with at work or even in your personal life .What did you do to help? What were the resources ?What would you do differently if you had the change too?

Also, they ask you about your skills that can help you asa social worker.if you speak different languages or BSL- that can be helpful working with non-English speakers, breaking language / communication barriers. Especially, has England has a multicultural diversity.If you have training or experience in working with neurodiversity/ knowledge in mental health/ older people/babysitting how can you apply those skills in social work.How do you work individually and as a Team ?How do you manage stress or set boundaries in your own personal life ?
(edited 1 month ago)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending