This discussion is closed.
Madinina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I've applied to do maths with economics, is it better to apply for a Master or a Bsc??
amo1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
masters then u get 4 years of funding from ur lea.... generally u can apply for one and then switch quite easily initially
Madinina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I've just switched my Bsc offer at ucl to a MSci
ecksor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by matthieum)
I've applied to do maths with economics, is it better to apply for a Master or a Bsc??
I'm doing 1st year MMath. I figured that I might as well register for it since I can change my mind any time up to the end of 2nd year, but it's easier in places to change from MMath to BSc than the other way. Also, I had a fairly good idea of what topics I wanted to get covered in my undergrad degree, and a 4 year course gives me a much better chance of getting them all in before leaving. Also, I may (if I'm good enough, only time will tell) decide to pursue some postgrad research in maths or a fairly closely related subject afterwards and it seems that the MMath is an advantage for that.

In many ways, doing the 3 year BSc and going elsewhere for a one year MSc would appear to be a very good way of getting a more varied and stronger education, but as was pointed out it is a more expensive proposition. Obviously if you fancy a break or money is no object then that may not apply. The other cases in favour of the BSc are obviously the shorter time, which may be very important if it turns out that the MMath doesn't actually increase your career prospects more than having a year in industry behind you.

In short, I'd say get onto the MMath if you can and weigh up your options between now and when you have to change. The maths departments themselves aren't likely to care too much one way or another (here they just want you to achieve a slightly higher standard on your courses) but your LEA will I think.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (177)
38.23%
Take autumn exams (143)
30.89%
Look for a job (16)
3.46%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.54%
Take a year out (78)
16.85%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
6.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed