Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to do maths with economics, is it better to apply for a Master or a Bsc??

ReputationRep:
    masters then u get 4 years of funding from ur lea.... generally u can apply for one and then switch quite easily initially

ReputationRep:
    I've just switched my Bsc offer at ucl to a MSci

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthieum)
    I've applied to do maths with economics, is it better to apply for a Master or a Bsc??
    I'm doing 1st year MMath. I figured that I might as well register for it since I can change my mind any time up to the end of 2nd year, but it's easier in places to change from MMath to BSc than the other way. Also, I had a fairly good idea of what topics I wanted to get covered in my undergrad degree, and a 4 year course gives me a much better chance of getting them all in before leaving. Also, I may (if I'm good enough, only time will tell) decide to pursue some postgrad research in maths or a fairly closely related subject afterwards and it seems that the MMath is an advantage for that.

In many ways, doing the 3 year BSc and going elsewhere for a one year MSc would appear to be a very good way of getting a more varied and stronger education, but as was pointed out it is a more expensive proposition. Obviously if you fancy a break or money is no object then that may not apply. The other cases in favour of the BSc are obviously the shorter time, which may be very important if it turns out that the MMath doesn't actually increase your career prospects more than having a year in industry behind you.

In short, I'd say get onto the MMath if you can and weigh up your options between now and when you have to change. The maths departments themselves aren't likely to care too much one way or another (here they just want you to achieve a slightly higher standard on your courses) but your LEA will I think.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 8, 2005

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.