The Student Room Group

IGSCE History

I have a question about the subject of IGSCE History that I hope you will provide some advice for me. I am currently opting for a 9th subject for IGSCE, but I plan to drop 1 subject as it is not offered due to various circumstances. I am considering History as my 9th subject. I understand that History requires a lot of time and dedication in the studying and revision process. Having said that, I have a deep interest in History, especially in the topics covered in the IGSCE syllabus. Based on my experience, may I know what are the challenges that students have to overcome in order to excel in History? Thank you.
Original post by Jayden Ho
I have a question about the subject of IGSCE History that I hope you will provide some advice for me. I am currently opting for a 9th subject for IGSCE, but I plan to drop 1 subject as it is not offered due to various circumstances. I am considering History as my 9th subject. I understand that History requires a lot of time and dedication in the studying and revision process. Having said that, I have a deep interest in History, especially in the topics covered in the IGSCE syllabus. Based on my experience, may I know what are the challenges that students have to overcome in order to excel in History? Thank you.

I don't do history, but some of my friends do
they said:

Need to memorise many information (e.g. key dates, people, etc...) and it's really easy to mix names and places up

Writing skills - need to be able to write a lot as there are many essay-based questions (e.g. 16 markers) throughout the exam papers

I think other than these 2, it should be a fun and enjoyable experience (except some of my friends sleep in history GCSE lessons...)
Goodluck and I wish you the best! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by jelllyfiiish
I don't do history, but some of my friends do
they said:

Need to memorise many information (e.g. key dates, people, etc...) and it's really easy to mix names and places up

Writing skills - need to be able to write a lot as there are many essay-based questions (e.g. 16 markers) throughout the exam papers

I think other than these 2, it should be a fun and enjoyable experience (except some of my friends sleep in history GCSE lessons...)
Goodluck and I wish you the best! :biggrin:

Hi, thanks for replying. Do you think it will be ethical to add History to this subject combination of Additional Math, Biology, chemistry, physics, extended math, economics, English language and Bahasa Melayu as a foreign language? Thanksss
Hi, thanks for replying. Do you think it will be ethical to add History to this subject combination of Additional Math, Biology, chemistry, physics, extended math, economics, English language and Bahasa Melayu as a foreign language? Thanksss

Yeah! It should be no problem with adding history to your subject combination - as long as you enjoy it then it should be fine!
History pairs nice and English lang/lit and economics so it's a perfect fit.
Reply 4
Original post by jelllyfiiish
Yeah! It should be no problem with adding history to your subject combination - as long as you enjoy it then it should be fine!
History pairs nice and English lang/lit and economics so it's a perfect fit.

Alright, thanks so much! Have a great day 😀
Alright, thanks so much! Have a great day 😀

Thanks and I hope you have a wonderful day too :smile:
Reply 6

Hello! I’m currently doing IGCSE history and have my exams coming may. Firstly, it’s good that you have a deep interest in history you’ll definitely need that! From my experience, history is a really, really content heavy subject. You really need to know your stuff. This includes facts, dates and even what notable people look like for source analysis. Therefore, having an interest would really make the memorization bit of the content more cohesive because it will emulate that of reading a fun story. For me, that’s the main challenge I think— the content heavy bit. In order to excel however, make sure that your points are always clear and that you structure your responses really well!

Quick Reply