The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster or LAET?

I’ve received conditionals for both Harris Westminster and LAET, but I’m really not sure which to choose.

I went to LAET for the interview and I rlly like the school however I think it’s a little further to get to than Harris Westminster
At the same time, I did so much for my Harris Westminster application (there was an assessment and interview), so I’m not sure if not going would just be a waste.
Harris Westminster also performs better academically I think, but I’m not sure if this means it’s too academically challenging for me (predicteds: 99988877). LAET seems like a much more relaxed environment and I like their building much much more aswell.
Both are around an equal distance from me (LAET is a little longer) and I’m really not sure which to choose!

Could anyone (especially current students of either) help me out with which to choose?
Reply 1
Original post by hsjsjsnsjskk
I’ve received conditionals for both Harris Westminster and LAET, but I’m really not sure which to choose.
I went to LAET for the interview and I rlly like the school however I think it’s a little further to get to than Harris Westminster
At the same time, I did so much for my Harris Westminster application (there was an assessment and interview), so I’m not sure if not going would just be a waste.
Harris Westminster also performs better academically I think, but I’m not sure if this means it’s too academically challenging for me (predicteds: 99988877). LAET seems like a much more relaxed environment and I like their building much much more aswell.
Both are around an equal distance from me (LAET is a little longer) and I’m really not sure which to choose!
Could anyone (especially current students of either) help me out with which to choose?

Your decision should come down to which environment you prefer. If you like the LAET environment over Harris Westminster, this should be your deciding factor. Ultimately, you have no control over where you end up as it's your results that will determine where you will go, so I wouldn't worry too much about deciding on which one you want to go to right now. You'll get used to a slightly longer commute time and if LAET is the school you'd rather go to, in time, this won't even bother your. I do know someone who attends LAET and she really enjoys it there, but obviously it's a very intense academic environment. I will say that enjoying the school your in will probably motivate you to do well in your A levels, as someone who picked a lower ranked sixth form college over my secondary school, which was one of the best in my borough. As well as this, being in a school with people who are also trying to achieve good grades does motivate you more. I would suggest attending their induction days and seeing how you find the environment then, in order to make your final decision.
Reply 2
Original post by hsjsjsnsjskk

This what a current student said on my post so am forwarding it to you this is for Laet.
Yep, what would you like to know in particular?

Upsides that I can think of is how you will always be updated on academic and career opportunities, teachers are well qualified (Oxbridge, etc if that appeals to you, though imo qualifications aren't always an accurate indicator of how well someone may teach) and generally enthusiastic, large student body so there's plenty of people to meet, studious environment is really motivating to discourage slacking and so forth. They also provide relative amounts of study support (eg after school lessons and academic coaching if you need it), as well as support for university applications (esp Oxbridge + Med applicants) and extra curriculars. Teachers encourage you to ask for help and clarification if you need it, which is definitely helpful if you need it.

Downsides are subjective and depends on your current school dynamic (if your school has sixth form). For example, the school is stricter and give less freedom compared to maybe a secondary school sixth form, let's say. You're not allowed to leave the building during break/ lunch until Year 13, and they aren't lenient on behaviour/ punctuality, etc. Also bear in mind that 4 A levels can be a heavy workload at times and you're not allowed to drop until the end of Year 12, so choose carefully and maintain time management. There's also somewhat a level of pressure and competition (not necessarily toxic), which can definitely keep you on your toes and be a good thing to prevent you from slacking, but some may find it overwhelming (and counselling is always full with a waitlist, so if mental health support for you is paramount, it might be good to reflect on th
is).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending