The Student Room Group

does restarting year 12 affect uni choices

thinking of retaking year 12 next year with new subject choices, i think it could change my view on sixth form. i think if i keep going with my current subjects and
sixth form i won’t get through year 13, and if i do i have zero motivation to study at all and i can’t imagine me getting the grades that i need. at gcse i got grade 9s in all of my subjects aside from french (8) and DT (6), and i’m predicted two A*s and an A at a level so it’s not that i’m not capable of doing the courses. i’m really hating maths and just sixth form in general and it has made my life so much worse, and the end half of 2023 to what i’ve experienced so far in 2024 has been the worst period of my life due to sixth form. i also have no friends and spend study periods by myself, sometimes breaks and lunches too. i cant revise at home because i’m not enjoying my subjects, but my dream uni is UCL and i realise that getting my A levels 3 years after finishing my gcses rather than 2 may be an issue for unis. i’ve gotten good grades at the start of the year, but any motivation deteriorated quite fast and it’s becoming a problem. i know if i went to a new sixth form and had subjects i enjoy doing life would be a lot easier and enjoyable for me, it’s getting really terrible i won’t go in to detail but it’s very bad. i don’t know what to do, restarting would really help me personally but i just also hate the idea of starting uni a year later. but i know it would be better for me. any advice?
heyy i was in the exact same boat two years ago and i decided to just restart and honestly i do think that was the best decision for me, i'm going uni this year now i got accepted for interviews at all my choices and 4/5 offers so i wouldn't say it would affect ur choices, if ur hating ur subjects and the sixth form honestly change them cos chances are it'll only get worse in year 13 and i know all too well how hard it is keep up with a subject when ur motivation deteriorates cos that's exactly what happened to me. in terms of starting uni a year later everyone at uni is on a different path you'll meet so many different people starting at different ages there will be loads of people that have done the same as you ie myself, gap year students, mature students there's no age to starting uni so I wouldn't worry about that, also three years goes so quick like honestly feels like my first day of college was jus yesterday when it was actually back in september 2021 lmaoo
Original post by phfox
thinking of retaking year 12 next year with new subject choices, i think it could change my view on sixth form. i think if i keep going with my current subjects and
sixth form i won’t get through year 13, and if i do i have zero motivation to study at all and i can’t imagine me getting the grades that i need. at gcse i got grade 9s in all of my subjects aside from french (8) and DT (6), and i’m predicted two A*s and an A at a level so it’s not that i’m not capable of doing the courses. i’m really hating maths and just sixth form in general and it has made my life so much worse, and the end half of 2023 to what i’ve experienced so far in 2024 has been the worst period of my life due to sixth form. i also have no friends and spend study periods by myself, sometimes breaks and lunches too. i cant revise at home because i’m not enjoying my subjects, but my dream uni is UCL and i realise that getting my A levels 3 years after finishing my gcses rather than 2 may be an issue for unis. i’ve gotten good grades at the start of the year, but any motivation deteriorated quite fast and it’s becoming a problem. i know if i went to a new sixth form and had subjects i enjoy doing life would be a lot easier and enjoyable for me, it’s getting really terrible i won’t go in to detail but it’s very bad. i don’t know what to do, restarting would really help me personally but i just also hate the idea of starting uni a year later. but i know it would be better for me. any advice?

i’m thinking of the exact same, and in the same situation. my school doesn’t allow me to retake- so I’d have to move to another school and I’m not sure if they’d accept me or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending