The Student Room Group

struggling in sixth form

hi, i'm a year 12 student. i'm finding sixth form really miserable; embarrassing to admit but i have no friends. at the beginning of the year, near the end of october, i fell out with my friendship group and i feel like that's where things took a turn. i was keen and motivated to do well at the start of the year and was cracking on with work straight away, but when i fell out with my friends, my mental health just plummeted. during breaks and lunch i would always sit in the library alone. it's difficult to make friends because my sixth form is small and it's the same people that i went to school with in secondary school. i tried to join a few friendship groups but they didn't work out because i'm socially awkward. i fell out with another friend in january (what a great way to start the year) and she told me she thinks it's best if i just don't sit with her group anymore plus she thinks we have nothing in common. she's in my psychology and i overheard her asking her friend what mark i got on the test (i did ****). anyways, basically i'm just bad at talking, i've been told a lot that i'm "really awkward" help 😭. it's just hard trying to open myself up. I try to keep my mind off of friendships to focus on my work instead but i can't get myself motivated because i feel so ****. i've tried to speak to my old friends again because two of them sit next to me in my business lessons but they give me dirty looks and short replies (meaning they don't want to talk to me). they'd always turn the backs on me and have their own conversations whilst i'm just sat there, hence why i find it so hard to enjoy my lessons. on top of that, my grades are bad. on my recent report card, i got CCE. my mocks starts in may 20th, so i've got around a month to really pull my grades up. it's stressing me out because the school will base these mock results for predicted grades for ucas applications. i've had arguments with my dad about me not studying and he keeps telling me that i might as well pack in but i don't want to. i really want to do a levels. i'm just not sure how to pull myself together.
Original post by Anonymous
hi, i'm a year 12 student. i'm finding sixth form really miserable; embarrassing to admit but i have no friends. at the beginning of the year, near the end of october, i fell out with my friendship group and i feel like that's where things took a turn. i was keen and motivated to do well at the start of the year and was cracking on with work straight away, but when i fell out with my friends, my mental health just plummeted. during breaks and lunch i would always sit in the library alone. it's difficult to make friends because my sixth form is small and it's the same people that i went to school with in secondary school. i tried to join a few friendship groups but they didn't work out because i'm socially awkward. i fell out with another friend in january (what a great way to start the year) and she told me she thinks it's best if i just don't sit with her group anymore plus she thinks we have nothing in common. she's in my psychology and i overheard her asking her friend what mark i got on the test (i did ****). anyways, basically i'm just bad at talking, i've been told a lot that i'm "really awkward" help 😭. it's just hard trying to open myself up. I try to keep my mind off of friendships to focus on my work instead but i can't get myself motivated because i feel so ****. i've tried to speak to my old friends again because two of them sit next to me in my business lessons but they give me dirty looks and short replies (meaning they don't want to talk to me). they'd always turn the backs on me and have their own conversations whilst i'm just sat there, hence why i find it so hard to enjoy my lessons. on top of that, my grades are bad. on my recent report card, i got CCE. my mocks starts in may 20th, so i've got around a month to really pull my grades up. it's stressing me out because the school will base these mock results for predicted grades for ucas applications. i've had arguments with my dad about me not studying and he keeps telling me that i might as well pack in but i don't want to. i really want to do a levels. i'm just not sure how to pull myself together.

My advise/suggestion. Find a Good Hypnotherapist. It would be worth £70 or so and so many times they actually help. AND also a good Weighted Blanket can, believe it or not, relief stress,anxiety and sleepless nights. Seriously I did'nt believe until I bought one for friend and she told me, cannot sleep with out now,lol. B and Q 9kg one . Let us all know if it works !
(edited 1 month ago)

Hi there :smile:

Sorry to hear about your troubles. The world takes all different sorts of people to make it go around and you'll find your place, trust me.

In terms of the short term, I understand how difficult it must be to focus on exams when youre unhappy and alone. My advice would be probably to look for entirely new friends, there must be someone in the school who is also introverted? Maybe try and strike up conversation with them as they're in the same boat as you! They want to be your friend as much as you want to be there friend :smile:

Alternatively, look ahead and think that your route to a new friend group is university friendships. Try and get through these mocks with the target in your mind.

Also, maybe exercise? I find exercise is really really really boost your mental health. If you've never exercised before, then that is also a great way to meet friends! Is there are clubs at school?
And by the way, at some point get someone to evaluate if you are "neurodivergent" .There are a lot of people are. It covers a whole range of differences in the brain, and apparently even Elon Musk is neurodivergent (aspergers) May or may not be.
hey, I’m so sorry to hear you feel like. A levels is already stressful so to fall out with your friends makes everything even more worse. One thing I would say is that next year you will be leaving school so you won’t see those people ever again who may be a constant reminder that you’ve fallen out with. Just try and do some activities to take your mind of things like reading, listening to music. With your mocks, 1 month is enough to push your grades up I promise! In terms of psychology which is what I do I would say to first make sure your understanding the content as if you understand it your more likely to remember it longer. I got an A in my January mock and what I did was create flashcards and went over each topic. I then did lots of exam practice to help me realise what it is I’m clearly struggling with.

Things will get better, just try to take things slowly. Maybe even talk to your teachers and explain why your grades are like this so they are understanding. I’m currently retaking and last year I was struggling a lot with mental health resulting in my grades ending up being BEU, I explained to my teachers what was going on and they were so much more understanding. So do try to speak to your teachers so that take what’s going on into account when predicting your grades. You will be more than capable of ending up with minimum Bs as I promise hard work does pay off. I really hope things get better for you!!

What is the 3rd A level you do? You’ve mentioned business and psychology, just in case I do the third a level you do.
I literally could’ve written this post myself

absolutely talk to your sixth form about this. Tell absolutely any adult you feel comfortable talking to and if they can’t help, they will send you to someone who can.

If they offer you counselling or any mental health support, accept it. Even if you don’t want/think you need it, I recommend doing it. Your school will likely be more lenient about your grades and can put accommodations in place for you if you show that you need that extra bit of help

I know it’s hard but you’ll be okay. I also go about sixth form with no friends and even though it feels so lonely, there will be so many teachers who are willing to help you. Seriously, some of the teachers who help me the most have never even taught me.

I can give you a bit of help with what you could say to them, if you’d like. Asking for help is the hardest step
Reply 6
Original post by anonymouse2024
My advise/suggestion. Find a Good Hypnotherapist. It would be worth £70 or so and so many times they actually help. AND also a good Weighted Blanket can, believe it or not, relief stress,anxiety and sleepless nights. Seriously I did'nt believe until I bought one for friend and she told me, cannot sleep with out now,lol. B and Q 9kg one . Let us all know if it works !

thank you, i will think about it! 😊
Reply 7
Original post by Zürich
Hi there :smile:
Sorry to hear about your troubles. The world takes all different sorts of people to make it go around and you'll find your place, trust me.
In terms of the short term, I understand how difficult it must be to focus on exams when youre unhappy and alone. My advice would be probably to look for entirely new friends, there must be someone in the school who is also introverted? Maybe try and strike up conversation with them as they're in the same boat as you! They want to be your friend as much as you want to be there friend :smile:
Alternatively, look ahead and think that your route to a new friend group is university friendships. Try and get through these mocks with the target in your mind.
Also, maybe exercise? I find exercise is really really really boost your mental health. If you've never exercised before, then that is also a great way to meet friends! Is there are clubs at school?
hi! my school doesn't really do clubs for sixth formers lol but i was thinking about going on a diet and exercising - i'd like to lose some weight especially since summer is soon haha :smile:
Reply 8
hey, I’m so sorry to hear you feel like. A levels is already stressful so to fall out with your friends makes everything even more worse. One thing I would say is that next year you will be leaving school so you won’t see those people ever again who may be a constant reminder that you’ve fallen out with. Just try and do some activities to take your mind of things like reading, listening to music. With your mocks, 1 month is enough to push your grades up I promise! In terms of psychology which is what I do I would say to first make sure your understanding the content as if you understand it your more likely to remember it longer. I got an A in my January mock and what I did was create flashcards and went over each topic. I then did lots of exam practice to help me realise what it is I’m clearly struggling with.
Things will get better, just try to take things slowly. Maybe even talk to your teachers and explain why your grades are like this so they are understanding. I’m currently retaking and last year I was struggling a lot with mental health resulting in my grades ending up being BEU, I explained to my teachers what was going on and they were so much more understanding. So do try to speak to your teachers so that take what’s going on into account when predicting your grades. You will be more than capable of ending up with minimum Bs as I promise hard work does pay off. I really hope things get better for you!!
What is the 3rd A level you do? You’ve mentioned business and psychology, just in case I do the third a level you do.

thank you so much, just one more year and i'll be out of this mess. i do maths 🥲 my maths teacher is lovely, she's also my form tutor so i'll probably speak to her about what i've been going through
thank you so much, just one more year and i'll be out of this mess. i do maths 🥲 my maths teacher is lovely, she's also my form tutor so i'll probably speak to her about what i've been going through

definitely talk to your maths teacher especially since she is your tutor and you mention she’s lovely. She can probably support you lots and also help you out with your grades! I really do hope things get better!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending