The Student Room Group

Which pen you suggest to use or used in GCSE Exams..?

I understand only 2 pens can be in the transparent pouch for GCSE exam. So reliability matters..I tried following..
1. STABILO Exam Grade Ballpoint Pen - One pen I have already stopped working though nearly full ink level..!! So worried about reliability!!
2. Sharpie S-Gel | Gel Pens - Smudges as its Gel pen and not smooth enough to write for longer time.
3. Zebra Sarasa - Seems to be best one so far, but keen to know feedback from people used them in exams like GCSEs.
4. Pilot Acroball Retractable Ballpoint - Planned to try out, Are they good , reliable..?
5. uni-ball SXN-210 RT Jetstream Black Rollerball Pen - Planned to try out, Good?
6. Bic Soft Feel Ballpoint Pens - Smudges though it is ball point pen
7. ZEBRA Pen Z Grip Smooth Black Ballpoint - seems to be good ball point pens.

Any other suggestions..? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bobku2021
I understand only 2 pens can be in the transparent pouch for GCSE exam. So reliability matters..I tried following..
1. STABILO Exam Grade Ballpoint Pen - One pen I have already stopped working though nearly full ink level..!! So worried about reliability!!
2. Sharpie S-Gel | Gel Pens - Smudges as its Gel pen and not smooth enough to write for longer time.
3. Zebra Sarasa - Seems to be best one so far, but keen to know feedback from people used them in exams like GCSEs.
4. Pilot Acroball Retractable Ballpoint - Planned to try out, Are they good , reliable..?
5. uni-ball SXN-210 RT Jetstream Black Rollerball Pen - Planned to try out, Good?
6. Bic Soft Feel Ballpoint Pens - Smudges though it is ball point pen
7. ZEBRA Pen Z Grip Smooth Black Ballpoint - seems to be good ball point pens.
Any other suggestions..? Thanks.

Gel pens aren't allowed. Who told you you can only take two pens in?
mitsubishi uniball eye micro, ive used them for all my gcses and it lets me write SUPER quickly. my writing is not so tidy with it... but that's ok imo
also i took about 13 pens into my exam πŸ’€
Personally I like Zebra pens, I think I use the Z-grip for everything. Test they all work first on some scrap papep before you bring them in, but I write loads including in exams and I've never had much of an issue. I don't remember there ever being a cap on the number of pens you can bring in, but it's been a while since I did my GCSEs now.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79

I saw it many places including here about 2 pens (snip below)
Gel pens, not convinced if there is any strict rule ? Gel ballpoint pens are there, most of them are as good as ball point pens
Reply 6
Original post by elareare
mitsubishi uniball eye micro, ive used them for all my gcses and it lets me write SUPER quickly. my writing is not so tidy with it... but that's ok imo

No soft grip for those pens i think
Reply 7
Original post by elareare
also i took about 13 pens into my exam πŸ’€

πŸ€” 13..?
Reply 8
Used uni-ball eye fine pens for all exams, no complaints. Also never heard of a cap on number of pens you can bring in!
No soft grip for those pens i think

no, there aren't. but in a lot of stationary shops you can buy pencil grips, what kids use when learning to write, but they're pretty comfy so i recommend πŸ‘
πŸ€” 13..?

There's no rule on how many pens you have to bring. I had about 5 in my pencil case at all times. Why do u think you only have to bring two? Honestly I just had the cheapest set of pens and it had no difference on my grades at all. Whichever is comfiest to write with - if its comfy but they run out fast then just bring multiple.
I saw it many places including here about 2 pens (snip below)
Gel pens, not convinced if there is any strict rule ? Gel ballpoint pens are there, most of them are as good as ball point pens

That is a school rule not a JCQ rule which are the offficial ones.

See here is says about gel pens - it is an official rule and your school should have told you!

"Do not use correcting pens, fluid or tape, erasable pens, highlighters or gel pens in your answers."

https://www.jcq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/IFC-Written_Examinations_2324_Revision_One_FINAL.pdf

πŸ˜† i love your comments. You give the vibes of my maths teacher haha
Original post by StudyGirlGrammar
πŸ˜† i love your comments. You give the vibes of my maths teacher haha

I'll take that as a compliment - I do teach Maths 🀣
I'll take that as a compliment - I do teach Maths 🀣

Yes. It was meant to be a compliment and that is crazy. Maybe you are my maths teacher πŸ€”.
Also, as you are a maths teacher, what tips do you have for studying maths and further-maths a-levels?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by RambleAmple
Personally I like Zebra pens, I think I use the Z-grip for everything. Test they all work first on some scrap papep before you bring them in, but I write loads including in exams and I've never had much of an issue. I don't remember there ever being a cap on the number of pens you can bring in, but it's been a while since I did my GCSEs now.

Yes zebra pens are quite good
Yes. It was meant to be a compliment and that is crazy. Maybe you are my maths teacher πŸ€”.
Also, as you are a maths teacher, what tips do you have for studying maths and further-maths a-levels?

I doubt that I am - relax :smile:

For A level - spend time after each lesson checking you understand - ask lots of questions. Do your homework - we don't set it for fun as we'll need to spend time marking it!

Do you use traffic lighting after tests/assessments?
I doubt that I am - relax :smile:
For A level - spend time after each lesson checking you understand - ask lots of questions. Do your homework - we don't set it for fun as we'll need to spend time marking it!
Do you use traffic lighting after tests/assessments?

πŸ˜‚
Thank you - yes we do the RAG in our school - my teacher is a big supporter for it. He doesn't like to tell us marks/ grades as he is more focused on the topics we don't know or understand.
πŸ˜‚
Thank you - yes we do the RAG in our school - my teacher is a big supporter for it. He doesn't like to tell us marks/ grades as he is more focused on the topics we don't know or understand.

I'm female so it isn't me!!
I'm female so it isn't me!!

Haha nws i didn't actually you were my teacher i was just kidding πŸ˜†

Quick Reply

Latest