This discussion is closed.
zhimin
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I was rejected by Oxford this year, but offered a place by UCL and YORK. Still waiting for decisions from LSE, WARWICK, and KING'S. The thing is that I really hope to do PPE in Oxford, or SPS in Cambridge. I ever made my mind to reapply next year, but do not know whether it is wise or not. If I determine to reapply, should I apply to Cambridge? How and how much does the rejection this year affect my application next year in Oxford? I really need your suggestion.
JustaGuy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Definitely go for it again! There are people who were rejected, reapplied and got in. It might be easier (?) for the SPS course since PPE is the more well known of the two and does attract a fair number of good applicants every year!
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmm. I'm rather sceptial. You seem more concerned with getting into Oxbridge than the course - why else would you switch from PPE to the quite different SPS course? The lack of genuine passions for the course this implies probably contributed to your rejection from Oxford, and may well prove your downfall at Cambridge next year.
Toni Mag
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by zhimin)
I was rejected by Oxford this year, but offered a place by UCL and YORK. Still waiting for decisions from LSE, WARWICK, and KING'S. The thing is that I really hope to do PPE in Oxford, or SPS in Cambridge. I ever made my mind to reapply next year, but do not know whether it is wise or not. If I determine to reapply, should I apply to Cambridge? How and how much does the rejection this year affect my application next year in Oxford? I really need your suggestion.
If you get LSE, absolutely definitely take it. Second best uni in the world for this.
btw, are u sure it's PPE you want or is it Ox? be honest.
RxB
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm going to back up H&E here: I do PPE, and would never have considered SPS. They're completely different. If you can't decide which to apply for, is it because you like psychology/sociology exactly as much as philosophy/economics, or is it because you just like Politics and want the Oxbridge name? If it's the latter, I wouldn't reapply. Also, there's nothing wrong with UCL and York...
zhimin
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Very good suggestion, thanks a lot! It is not true if I say i do not like oxbridge's reputation. To challenge the best is what I like to do all the time.
rosyposy
Report 14 years ago
reapply! i was rejected for law this year, got my interview report back from the admissions tutors which basically showed me how close i was and it was really upsetting. i know that my course is the best there and theres loads of amazing things u can do in a gap year... travel, volunteer, gain experience etc. so definitly re-apply because you may regret it later in life, and whats the point in that? in my opinion SPS is lesss competitive than PPE but at the end of the day if u pick ur college really carefully and get 3 or 4 A's ull be an incredible strong applicant at either. ide go for ox if u applied there first time, shows committment to the uni. sorry this is a bit if an essay, just the re-applying thing is a big deal to me!
aleko
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by H&E)
Hmm. I'm rather sceptial. You seem more concerned with getting into Oxbridge than the course - why else would you switch from PPE to the quite different SPS course? The lack of genuine passions for the course this implies probably contributed to your rejection from Oxford, and may well prove your downfall at Cambridge next year.
I think we should stop the knee-jerk reaction that most people seem to have when people re-apply to a different course at Oxbridge of "You are willing to change your course therefore you care not for your subject". I know this to be complete and utter tosh. For example my friend was rejected this year for PPE and is considering re-applying next year for MHP. This is not indicitive of wanting Oxbridge over his subject, he just realised that the Maths element of the course wasn't for him (he was wrongly advised by my school to apply for PPE). Surely if someone is desperate for Oxbridge over the subject matter of their course than that person would apply for Chemistry or Classics and not a similarly competitive subject such as SPS (which is about as competitive as PPE).

In addition, I think we should be a bit more honest about ourselves. Although I am sure that for most people here their subject is paramount. The issue is that I dont think anyone can honestly say that they would be equally happy studying their subject at any university. I don't personally see anything wrong with someone whos heart is set on Oxford or Cambridge re-applying even if they decide that the course that they originally applied for isn't for them after all.
RxB
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by aleko)
I think we should stop the knee-jerk reaction that most people seem to have when people re-apply to a different course at Oxbridge of "You are willing to change your course therefore you care not for your subject". I know this to be complete and utter tosh. For example my friend was rejected this year for PPE and is considering re-applying next year for MHP. This is not indicitive of wanting Oxbridge over his subject, he just realised that the Maths element of the course wasn't for him (he was wrongly advised by my school to apply for PPE). Surely if someone is desperate for Oxbridge over the subject matter of their course than that person would apply for Chemistry or Classics and not a similarly competitive subject such as SPS (which is about as competitive as PPE).
The problem doesn't seem to be that the OP wants to switch, but rather that they're not sure whether they'd rather apply for PPE or SPS. They're radically different, and asking us for advice on which they should apply suggests that getting in might be more important than course content.

(Eg, I'd rather do PPE at York than SPS at Cam)
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by aleko)

In addition, I think we should be a bit more honest about ourselves. Although I am sure that for most people here their subject is paramount. The issue is that I dont think anyone can honestly say that they would be equally happy studying their subject at any university. I don't personally see anything wrong with someone whos heart is set on Oxford or Cambridge re-applying even if they decide that the course that they originally applied for isn't for them after all.
This argument is entirely irrelevant to this thread. The OP made no reference to changing his mind about course - he's purely interested in maximising his Oxbridge chances. In view of this fact, the replies have been very appropriate. You're just saying that the arguments proposed here wouldn't apply to a completely different situation which, while true, isn't massively surprising.
aleko
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by RxB)
The problem doesn't seem to be that the OP wants to switch, but rather that they're not sure whether they'd rather apply for PPE or SPS. They're radically different, and asking us for advice on which they should apply suggests that getting in might be more important than course content.

(Eg, I'd rather do PPE at York than SPS at Cam)
Hmm, perhaps thats a bit more valid but not everyone knows from birth what course they'd like to do. In my case I've wanted to do MHP since yr9 but I know people who genuinely dont know which course is right for them. Zhimin may simply know he wants a Politics based course and is undecided on whether he would prefer to combine that with Philosophy/Economics or Sociology/Psychology. This seems to be a reasonable position to be in and doesn't necessarily mean he is obsesive about Oxbridge.
SpyMaster
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by RxB)
I don't know what SPS is, and I don't know much about PPE, but I originally wanted to do Psychology, and when they asked me why, and I answered (roughly) "because I want to understand how we think", they advised me to do English, which I did - and I've never regretted it. If SPS has, say, an Economics or a Politics or a Philosophy component, and that is what Zhimin is primarily interested in, but he wants something broader than pure Philosophy or whatever, then it seems to me that our situations are very similar. So if he wants to apply to Cambridge to do SPS next year, or reapply to Oxford for PPE, I see no reason in principle why he shouldn't. If time isn't a problem, he can use the free year to read, think, work, or whatever, and good luck to him.

And although I don't want to criticise York etc, they don't offer the same experience (or have the same clout) as Oxbridge, and we all know it.
aleko
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by H&E)
This argument is entirely irrelevant to this thread. The OP made no reference to changing his mind about course - he's purely interested in maximising his Oxbridge chances. In view of this fact, the replies have been very appropriate. You're just saying that the arguments proposed here wouldn't apply to a completely different situation which, while true, isn't massively surprising.
At no point does zhimin say in clear terms that "I just want to maximise my chances of getting into Oxbridge" or "I don't care what I do as long as I get in". He merely states that he would be interested in PPE or SPS. And if he likes the look of both courses equally there is nothing wrong with applying to what he percieves to be the least competitive.What I wouldn't agree with is if spmeone did prefer say PPE for example but decided to apply to SPS because of the likeliness of admission. However there is NO evidence as far as I can see that this is the case (although I'm not denying that this is a possibility, I just disapprove of people putting words in his mouth).

As for my argument it is relevant in the sense that I was merely demonstratng that it is possible for someone to be unsure about their course. Zhimin looks to be in a similar situation
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Having established the context of his question, he lays out the crux of the issue: "If I determine to reapply, should I apply to Cambridge? How and how much does the rejection this year affect my application next year in Oxford? I really need your suggestion." Entirely about maximising offer chances. He also agrees with RxB and I's assessment of the situation. So I think what he was getting at really isn't in doubt.

And you can't really think that the fact that "it is possible for someone to be unsure about their course" needs demonstrating?

(Hmm...I should really stop starting arguments...but my back hurts so much...need release...bloody Worcester front row...grr)
SpyMaster
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by H&E)
Having established the context of his question, he lays out the crux of the issue: "If I determine to reapply, should I apply to Cambridge? How and how much does the rejection this year affect my application next year in Oxford? I really need your suggestion." Entirely about maximising offer chances. He also agrees with RxB and I's assessment of the situation. So I think what he was getting at really isn't in doubt.
He wants primarily to get into Oxbridge (and so what ? I wanted primarily to get into Oxford - not to do X subject, but to think about how we think), and secondarily he wants to do something in the PPE/SPS area (again - so what ? - I think there is some overlap.)

P.S. Try playing full-back if they'll let you !
aleko
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by H&E)

And you can't really think that the fact that "it is possible for someone to be unsure about their course" needs demonstrating?

(Hmm...I should really stop starting arguments...but my back hurts so much...need release...bloody Worcester front row...grr)
Hmm..Ok perhaps I was wrong to say there was no evidence as there is, but this is all based on the tone of what he said. As someone who is probably a much better Historian than me, I'm sure you know that such inferences from tone can be unreliable but I understand why you interpreted what he said as you did. The fact is that what he said doesn't necessarily mean what you thought it did. As I said earlier, there is nothing wrong with applying to one course you equally would enjoy over another if you feel your chances would be increased. It only becomes wrong once you comprimise your subject needs so you can go to Oxford.

Now taking off my argumentative hat and putting on my constructive one. This whole argument is rather pointless as we are arguing about what he did or did not mean. Going backto original point of this thread (to give advice to zhimin) I think there is a clear consensus on his re-application. If you want to do the course and aren't just going for Oxbridge "kudos" than yes, otherwise, no.
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by aleko)
Hmm..Ok perhaps I was wrong to say there was no evidence as there is, but this is all based on the tone of what he said. As someone who is probably a much better Historian than me, I'm sure you know that such inferences from tone can be unreliable but I understand why you interpreted what he said as you did. The fact is that what he said doesn't necessarily mean what you thought it did. As I said earlier, there is nothing wrong with applying to one course you equally would enjoy over another if you feel your chances would be increased. It only becomes wrong once you comprimise your subject needs so you can go to Oxford.

Now taking off my argumentative hat and putting on my constructive one. This whole argument is rather pointless as we are arguing about what he did or did not mean. Going backto original point of this thread (to give advice to zhimin) I think there is a clear consensus on his re-application. If you want to do the course and aren't just going for Oxbridge "kudos" than yes, otherwise, no.
What a charmer you are! I'm sure you're an excellent historian...I really was just **** stirring - played for the college in rugby Cuppers (college cup) and, even though we won (woo!) I'm a right state so just trying to relieve some tension. You're summary is spot on anyway, so I'm gonna leave the thread and do some work!
aleko
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by H&E)
What a charmer you are! I'm sure you're an excellent historian...I really was just **** stirring - played for the college in rugby Cuppers (college cup) and, even though we won (woo!) I'm a right state so just trying to relieve some tension. You're summary is spot on anyway, so I'm gonna leave the thread and do some work!
Corpus rule!! Who did you just beat?
Ali_04
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
it is possible to be torn between 2 very different subjects- my friend felt that she'd like to do either product design or english lit at uni (admittedly not at oxbridge) and she liked them both equally! and I don't think you can get much more different!

Also, wasn't he just wondering if he would be at a disadvantage reapplying to the same uni? a very valid consideration if you're having to take a year off just to apply again! that doesn't neccessarily make you obsessive about the place- surely if your're going to bother applying again, you'd want to ensure that you would have an equal chance as the last time or else it would not really be worth the hassle!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (36)
25.71%
No (104)
74.29%

Watched Threads