The Student Room Group

Freaking out abt gcses

Guys how accurate is your February mocks to your actual results? Im starting to freak out because obviously, the real GCSEs are coming, and I’m super scared if I randomly drop grades which I HOPE doesn’t happen. I feel like although I did well in February I won’t be able to maintain them since I haven’t been revising hard at all this Easter, and I feel like examiners are harsher than teachers? Right?? Since they don’t know you. Idk man, I’m really scared and for some reason i keep procrastinating :frown: !! I’m praying I get the results I want but I guess it’s just hit me how serious it’s going to be , especially since we are going against the whole countries for grades now not just your year and there are super smart people out there that I’m going against😭

Sorry just a ramble , any advice welcome
I feel like it depends so much on the teacher whether they are harsher than real examiners, many of my teachers say they try to be really harsh and don’t give us marks which examiners probably would because they want us to improve on any kind of small inaccuracy so that it doesn’t develop into us being misled into thinking we can get away with sloppy explanations or slight inaccuracies in the real exams which could lose us a lot of marks if all our worst topics were to come up, God forbid.
What are you predicted from the February mocks? What grades do you NEED for sixth form or college? I’ve been going through all my friends’ mock grades and showing them what they actually NEED to get, for some of them it relieves a lot of pressure because they realise that they don’t NEED as higher grades as they WANT to get, for others it shows where they really need to put in the work to improve.
With regards revision, it really depends on your learning style, I would say at this stage past paper questions are really important, make sure to time them and check over answers and try to develop timing and techniques for what you will do in the exam if you haven’t already. Other than that I would recommend looking for YouTube videos, especially for science (Congito’s good if you haven’t used it already).
I also have a huge problem with procrastinating, I find that making a checklist with everything I want to do in a day really helps- include things you’d do anyway and things which interest you Eg: wake up, eat some breakfast, listen to music, 45 minutes Chemistry revision, go on a walk, 30 minutes Spanish vocab.
Hope this helps, if you need any more advice or anything feel free to ask I’d be happy to help.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Thank you, idk my predicted but I’m assuming that’s the same as my recent mock grades? I do 8 subjects i got 9s in 6 of them in the last 2 I got an 8-8 in combined science and a 5 in French. I wanna do maths physics computer science and sociology at A level so I only need 7s and I know it’s not necessary to get all 9s but I really want to :frown: but I’m only starting to think it’s a tad.. bit harder. My teachers also tend to be super harsh on marking so I don’t know why I’m stressing. What I’m worried about is like a massive drop on grades when the real thing comes. I guess what I’m trying to say like what if the GCSEs end up being a whiplash and so much harder than mocks? A bit stupid on my part but thank you so much for the advice I’ll keep it in mind!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DerDracologe
I feel like it depends so much on the teacher whether they are harsher than real examiners, many of my teachers say they try to be really harsh and don’t give us marks which examiners probably would because they want us to improve on any kind of small inaccuracy so that it doesn’t develop into us being misled into thinking we can get away with sloppy explanations or slight inaccuracies in the real exams which could lose us a lot of marks if all our worst topics were to come up, God forbid.
What are you predicted from the February mocks? What grades do you NEED for sixth form or college? I’ve been going through all my friends’ mock grades and showing them what they actually NEED to get, for some of them it relieves a lot of pressure because they realise that they don’t NEED as higher grades as they WANT to get, for others it shows where they really need to put in the work to improve.
With regards revision, it really depends on your learning style, I would say at this stage past paper questions are really important, make sure to time them and check over answers and try to develop timing and techniques for what you will do in the exam if you haven’t already. Other than that I would recommend looking for YouTube videos, especially for science (Congito’s good if you haven’t used it already).
I also have a huge problem with procrastinating, I find that making a checklist with everything I want to do in a day really helps- include things you’d do anyway and things which interest you Eg: wake up, eat some breakfast, listen to music, 45 minutes Chemistry revision, go on a walk, 30 minutes Spanish vocab.
Hope this helps, if you need any more advice or anything feel free to ask I’d be happy to help.

Oops I forgot to press the reply button but I wrote it above
Original post by unequivocal
Thank you, idk my predicted but I’m assuming that’s the same as my recent mock grades? I do 8 subjects i got 9s in 6 of them in the last 2 I got an 8-8 in combined science and a 5 in French. I wanna do maths physics computer science and sociology at A level so I only need 7s and I know it’s not necessary to get all 9s but I really want to :frown: but I’m only starting to think it’s a tad.. bit harder. My teachers also tend to be super harsh on marking so I don’t know why I’m stressing. What I’m worried about is like a massive drop on grades when the real thing comes. I guess what I’m trying to say like what if the GCSEs end up being a whiplash and so much harder than mocks? A bit stupid on my part but thank you so much for the advice I’ll keep it in mind!

it depends on how ur school marked it... i believe my school based our mock grades on the previous grade boundaries, but i know some other schools did it based on how their specific school did - if ur school did it based on grade boundaries, you should be fine as grade boundaries are usually similar each year
Reply 5
Original post by studyfor9s
it depends on how ur school marked it... i believe my school based our mock grades on the previous grade boundaries, but i know some other schools did it based on how their specific school did - if ur school did it based on grade boundaries, you should be fine as grade boundaries are usually similar each year

Hopefully! We used the 2023 grade boundaries
Original post by unequivocal
Hopefully! We used the 2023 grade boundaries

then don't worry about it, you will be fine. the only thing that is dependent on the examiner really is english, but i think you said that you got a 9 for both, so you must be really good at it already!

Quick Reply