The Student Room Group

Always dehydrated

I have seen a GP about this already and a blood test has been performed to test my blood glucose levels and it all came back normal so there isn't actually anything wrong with me. I wake up severely dehydrated even after drinking so much water the night before and even throughout the day, I am so so so thirsty all the time. I see people not even drinking any fluids throughout the day and I realise that that would be impossible for me as if I even went an hour without drinking water I'd get a headache and feel faint. I can't help thinking that there is something wrong with me still and with my GP advising me to 'drink more water', it doesn't actually help the underlying issue and only resolves my thirst for a few minutes. It's also really distracting constantly needing to drink water as it means I have to also constantly go to the bathroom. I also only drink water - no carbonated drinks, caffeine or alcohol. Just a rant, I know theres actually nothing I can really do :/
Reply 1
Original post by SilverPebble
Have you kept a diary of what/when/amount you drink each day? That might help give your GP an objective measure, or it might be something you could compare with other people to see if it really is unusual or not?

Yes, she asked me to record this and she did say it was abnormal but after performing the blood test, she said everything is normal and just to drink more water
Reply 2
Dehydration can be related to kidneys - have you had kidney function tests done as part of your blood tests? Another thing - do you produce enough saliva? A dry mouth is not good for teeth and gums - when did you last have a dental check?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by cheadle
Dehydration can be related to kidneys - have you had kidney function tests done as part of your blood tests? Another thing - do you produce enough saliva? A dry mouth is not good for teeth and gums - when did you last have a dental check?

Thank you for your reply. I haven't actually, but if my GP says that everything is normal and no further tests can be performed, I don't think I can go over her head so how would I request this? And yes, I do have dry mouth and my dentist at my last dental check (around 4 months ago) said there was some acidity in my mouth but aside from this, everything was fine.
Reply 4
Can you ask for a print out of your test results? (this can suually be done through the receptionists). At least that way you will know what tests have been run.
Original post by Anonymous
I have seen a GP about this already and a blood test has been performed to test my blood glucose levels and it all came back normal so there isn't actually anything wrong with me. I wake up severely dehydrated even after drinking so much water the night before and even throughout the day, I am so so so thirsty all the time. I see people not even drinking any fluids throughout the day and I realise that that would be impossible for me as if I even went an hour without drinking water I'd get a headache and feel faint. I can't help thinking that there is something wrong with me still and with my GP advising me to 'drink more water', it doesn't actually help the underlying issue and only resolves my thirst for a few minutes. It's also really distracting constantly needing to drink water as it means I have to also constantly go to the bathroom. I also only drink water - no carbonated drinks, caffeine or alcohol. Just a rant, I know theres actually nothing I can really do :/

how much water do end up drinking daily?
Reply 6
Original post by cheadle
Can you ask for a print out of your test results? (this can suually be done through the receptionists). At least that way you will know what tests have been run.

Yeah it was just a blood test for blood glucose levels
Reply 7
Original post by Kutie Karen
how much water do end up drinking daily?

4 litres on average per day
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah it was just a blood test for blood glucose levels

Ah right. Well maybe see how you go, whether there is any improvement, if not I would suggest going back to your GP. It's best to be your own advocate on health matters.

There is a toothpaste called Duraphat only available on prescrition which is good for people wth dry mouths. Your dentist can prescribe, should you need it.

Quick Reply