The Student Room Group

University claiming SFE cancelled my tuiton loan at the end of third semester

This is an issue I've been trying to resolve since May 2021. The uni emailed me to say SFE cancelled my tuiton fee loan and whilst I was trying to find out what was going on and how to resolve the issue, the uni sent my details to a debt recovery agency demanding I pay £6000. I was a full time student and because of health issues, bereavement, the stress caused by this problem and the change in teaching due to covid, I decided not to re-enrol. Plus they had made it clear I couldn't if I wanted to anyway without paying the £6000. Everytime I spoke to sfe, the uni or the debt agency it took months before they replied which is why its still ongoing almost three years later. I was advised to send sfe an appeals form, so I did. Never heard back. Sfe and the uni have both said the issue is on the others end. My sfe account doesnt show any cancellation and says it was paid in full. The most recent reply I got was from the agency on behalf of the uni saying that I never had student finance in place and my records say student to pay. Which makes no sense as ive always had student finance in place, they had received payments, and are now three years later saying it was never in place. I'm out of options on what to do and really need advice
Original post by tmw04x
This is an issue I've been trying to resolve since May 2021. The uni emailed me to say SFE cancelled my tuiton fee loan and whilst I was trying to find out what was going on and how to resolve the issue, the uni sent my details to a debt recovery agency demanding I pay £6000. I was a full time student and because of health issues, bereavement, the stress caused by this problem and the change in teaching due to covid, I decided not to re-enrol. Plus they had made it clear I couldn't if I wanted to anyway without paying the £6000. Everytime I spoke to sfe, the uni or the debt agency it took months before they replied which is why its still ongoing almost three years later. I was advised to send sfe an appeals form, so I did. Never heard back. Sfe and the uni have both said the issue is on the others end. My sfe account doesnt show any cancellation and says it was paid in full. The most recent reply I got was from the agency on behalf of the uni saying that I never had student finance in place and my records say student to pay. Which makes no sense as ive always had student finance in place, they had received payments, and are now three years later saying it was never in place. I'm out of options on what to do and really need advice

Hi there,

When you login to your student finance account what's the status of your last application?

Is it suspended or withdrawn, or still showing as approved?

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login
Hi there,

We are unable to access accounts on the Student Room and I would need to advise you contact us so we can look into this for you. When did you submit your appeal to Student Finance? To access our live chat service select undergraduate and then ‘contact us’. From here you will be able to use our live chat service when it is available. Alternatively, you can contact us on 0300 100 0607 for further assistance. Our opening hours are stated on our ‘contact us’ page.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 3
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,
When you login to your student finance account what's the status of your last application?
Thanks, Graeme

Approved
Reply 4
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,
We are unable to access accounts on the Student Room and I would need to advise you contact us so we can look into this for you. When did you submit your appeal to Student Finance? To access our live chat service select undergraduate and then ‘contact us’. From here you will be able to use our live chat service when it is available. Alternatively, you can contact us on 0300 100 0607 for further assistance. Our opening hours are stated on our ‘contact us’ page.
Thanks, Drew

I submitted an appeal in February 2022, as it took so long to get responses to get to that point
Reply 5
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,
Thanks, Graeme

It's been approved the whole time, even now
Hi there,

If you have not received an answer from an appeal you sent in February 2022 then I would advise you bring this up when you contact us.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 7
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,
If you have not received an answer from an appeal you sent in February 2022 then I would advise you bring this up when you contact us.
Thanks, Drew

I have done before and was told to just keep waiting. I'm anxious of calling because I never get an answer or follow up. I've just tried the live chat service and it kicked me out the queue. Is there a way of calling and speaking to you?
Hi there,

No we do not take calls and you would need to call the contact centre if you are unable to get access to the Live Chat option.

0300 100 0607.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending