The Student Room Group

How many essays should I plan for A Level Politics?? (feeling overwhelmed)

Hey guys, I’m a Y13 A Level Politics student who’s first Politics exam is in 6 weeks.

My main source of revision for Politics is writing and learning politics essay plans, yet recently I’ve become incredibly overwhelmed planning Paper 3 essay plans as there are so many questions that could come up, I can’t possibly plan them all! I plan to complete around 40 essay plans for Paper 3 alone, yet I keep finding new potential essays that I wouldn’t have a clue what to do with if they came up in the actual exam!

My questions is if you took/are taking A Level Politics, how many essays did you plan overall roughly? And how did you manage all the content?

Thanks!
Hey! I'm doing my politics a-level this year too (edexcel) and I'm doing essay plans as well. I feel like if you have at least 6-10 per topic in each paper, the content you use for each of them should be adaptable. Like one essay for the effectiveness of somethig, could be recycled if a question came up about it being ineffective. I'm not really confident on paper 3 either, but for my end of year exams in yr12 I did about 10 essay plans for each unit (paper 1 and 2) and I got an A! I hope this is helpful because I know politics can be hell sometimes!
Original post by nnnnnnnnn.x
Hey! I'm doing my politics a-level this year too (edexcel) and I'm doing essay plans as well. I feel like if you have at least 6-10 per topic in each paper, the content you use for each of them should be adaptable. Like one essay for the effectiveness of somethig, could be recycled if a question came up about it being ineffective. I'm not really confident on paper 3 either, but for my end of year exams in yr12 I did about 10 essay plans for each unit (paper 1 and 2) and I got an A! I hope this is helpful because I know politics can be hell sometimes!

Thank you for your reply, if I could ask, how long do essay plans usually take you to do? And where do you usually find points/examples (I find the textbook is really helpful in some places but really lacking in others)? Each essay plan usually takes me about an hour to do as I try to find around three examples per point, yet I feel like the amount of time it’s taking me is unsustainable right now as I need to get on and actually learn them lol. Any advice would be really appreciated
Reply 3
Original post by GlitterFairy1234
Thank you for your reply, if I could ask, how long do essay plans usually take you to do? And where do you usually find points/examples (I find the textbook is really helpful in some places but really lacking in others)? Each essay plan usually takes me about an hour to do as I try to find around three examples per point, yet I feel like the amount of time it’s taking me is unsustainable right now as I need to get on and actually learn them lol. Any advice would be really appreciated

i'm in y13 too and i use mainly essay plans to revise and get As on my mocks. but essay plans take soooo long, like literally 2h if not longer sometimes. but to find evidence i just google what i want to find eg. backbench rebellion or HoL defeat bill and take examples from the recent news stories that appear
Original post by eliaaaaa
i'm in y13 too and i use mainly essay plans to revise and get As on my mocks. but essay plans take soooo long, like literally 2h if not longer sometimes. but to find evidence i just google what i want to find eg. backbench rebellion or HoL defeat bill and take examples from the recent news stories that appear

Yeah I do the exact same too! They take me like an hour and half maybe two sometimes. I recommend searching up the essay questions on quizlet (but modify them slightly so that you understand them and put them in a seperate google doc) so that you can have 3 points for and against and then use google to help find case studies! Also try keep a spreadsheet/note of key things that have happened in the news recently and each time you find something interesting try link it to on of the units, so that if you're looking for examples you can go there!
Yeah I do the exact same too! They take me like an hour and half maybe two sometimes. I recommend searching up the essay questions on quizlet (but modify them slightly so that you understand them and put them in a seperate google doc) so that you can have 3 points for and against and then use google to help find case studies! Also try keep a spreadsheet/note of key things that have happened in the news recently and each time you find something interesting try link it to on of the units, so that if you're looking for examples you can go there!

I usually type mine up with examples and then try memorise them on my whiteboard! Hopefully that will help when you get to the learning bit
Reply 6

if you don't mind can you share them bc I'm contemplating just purchasing essays plan online and blurting with a whiteboard bc making them takes literal HOURS. if you don't mind please, no worries if not x
Reply 7
if you don't mind can you share them bc I'm contemplating just purchasing essays plan online and blurting with a whiteboard bc making them takes literal HOURS. if you don't mind please, no worries if not x
Reply 8

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending