The Student Room Group

BTEC accepted at Oxford???

Hey guys, I am currently doing a Level 3 BTEC in Business. Is it possible to get into Oxford as I wish to study Law? The website claims a Level 3 BTEC at Grades MMM is required to study the course of Law with a Foundation Year, though I am still aiming for the top grades at 3 D*s. Would anyone be able to shine some light on this?
Original post by qprclips
Hey guys, I am currently doing a Level 3 BTEC in Business. Is it possible to get into Oxford as I wish to study Law? The website claims a Level 3 BTEC at Grades MMM is required to study the course of Law with a Foundation Year, though I am still aiming for the top grades at 3 D*s. Would anyone be able to shine some light on this?

What light needs to be shone on the situation? Do you not believe what they say on their web site?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
What light needs to be shone on the situation? Do you not believe what they say on their web site?

It's not that - it's confusing as they talk about disadvantaged circumstances so is this not available for anyone else?
Original post by qprclips
It's not that - it's confusing as they talk about disadvantaged circumstances so is this not available for anyone else?

If your confusion was the reference to "disadvantaged circumstances", that it might have been worth mentioning that in your original post. :smile:

Oxford are basically saying that to access their Foundation Year courses (including "Foundation Year in Law") you need to meet academic requirements (e.g. "BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma: MMM") and eligibility criteria relating to socio-economic and educational disadvantage.

It's similar in concept to the idea of contextual offers which you see at most other universities. If your educational attainment has been impacted by factors such as having been homeless, having been a refugee, having missed over a year of secondary school/college education etc. etc. then rather than asking you to meet the requirements of their "regular" Law (Jurisprudence) course - for which a BTEC us unlikely to be accepted - they'll instead lower the bar (e.g. for A levels from AAA to BBB), but ask that you add an extra year to your degree so they can augment the education you arrive with.

If, however, you don't meet the socio-economic and educational disadvantage criteria, then you'll need to apply to the "regular" Law (Jurisprudence) course instead. Although is doesn't explicitly say that a BTEC would not be acceptable, it's not listed under "Academic requirements", but instead takes you to the other UK qualifications page which says, "Candidates with vocational or technical qualifications equivalent to A-levels are welcome to apply, although candidates may need to take additional academic qualifications to make a competitive application. If you would like to discuss whether your qualification is suitable for entry to Oxford University, please contact the subject department that you'd like to apply to for further information."

So, in summary, if you meet the socio-economic and educational disadvantage criteria they outline, then you can apply for Foundation Year in Law with a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma. If you don't, then you'd need to contact [email protected] to ask whether your BTEC would be acceptable, and it so at what grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending