The Student Room Group

can i get all 9s in my gcses?

i've been able to achieve 9s in all of my subjects at some point in the past two years, but i didn't really revise well for my y11 mocks so i didn't do as well as i should have.

my grades in my y10/y11 mocks
english lang: 9/9
english lit: 8/7 (one mark off an 8 sadly)
maths: 9/9
biology: 9/9
chemistry: 8/8
physics: 9/9
re: 9/7
business: 9/7
history: 9/8
french: 8/8 (so so close to a 9. i'm hoping if i work on getting at around 95% on my writing and speaking which i have detailed answers prepared for already, my listening won't have as bad of an impact as it usually does. i barely revise for french so hopefully if i actually put effort in i can get a 9...)

i really did not revise for my y11 mocks, for re i literally just read a list of quotes and hoped for the best - which, while i still got a 7, was not my best seeing as i'd been strongly on an 8/9 since the start of y10. i had massive gaps in my knowledge for literally every subject and while i have a good memory, it was not good enough to recall lessons from the start of y10.

so i'm wondering if it would actually be possible for me to get all 9s come the actual exams? i'm revising much more bc i do not want a repeat of my mocks so while i think i could do it, could anyone lmk whether i'm just deluding myself into it and should probably get my hopes down before i disappoint myself
It's always great to have ambition, but don't over-inflate your expectations otherwise they'll bite you. The best thing you can do is enter the exam, do your absolute best, and what you get is what you get. GCSEs aren't a be all end all, the world out there is far larger and complex than you see through the lens of secondary school. Basically do your best for you, but don't be disappointed if you don't get what you want-life has various avenues for you to obtain the success you're looking for. Grades don't make a good life, you make a good life-so good luck!
Original post by lc_007
i've been able to achieve 9s in all of my subjects at some point in the past two years, but i didn't really revise well for my y11 mocks so i didn't do as well as i should have.
My grades in my y10/y11 mocks
english lang: 9/9
english lit: 8/7 (one mark off an 8 sadly)
maths: 9/9
biology: 9/9
chemistry: 8/8
physics: 9/9
re: 9/7
business: 9/7
history: 9/8
french: 8/8 (so so close to a 9. I'm hoping if i work on getting at around 95% on my writing and speaking which i have detailed answers prepared for already, my listening won't have as bad of an impact as it usually does. I barely revise for french so hopefully if i actually put effort in i can get a 9...)
i really did not revise for my y11 mocks, for re i literally just read a list of quotes and hoped for the best - which, while i still got a 7, was not my best seeing as i'd been strongly on an 8/9 since the start of y10. I had massive gaps in my knowledge for literally every subject and while i have a good memory, it was not good enough to recall lessons from the start of y10.
So i'm wondering if it would actually be possible for me to get all 9s come the actual exams? I'm revising much more bc i do not want a repeat of my mocks so while i think i could do it, could anyone lmk whether i'm just deluding myself into it and should probably get my hopes down before i disappoint myself

how do u revise for frenxh.
Reply 3
Sure why not? Aim high!
See here for inspiration

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/infographic-gcse-results-2023/infographics-for-gcse-results-2023-accessible

In 2023 125 savants took 11+ GCSEs and managed all 9s in their exams (for reference 11950 took more than 11 GCSEs). There's a target :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by ilikesunflowers
how do u revise for frenxh.
i memorise questions i’ve prepared (my school made us write them) for each module, through flashcards, so there’s about 80 in total and that covers like every topic which can be used in the writing & speaking (which i always do well in, given i’ve learnt my answers properly) - i use a mix of the textbook & a translator for that (i use contexto.net which is SO good bc it gives u a contextual translation which is much better than google translate). you can probably find some on quizlet if you don’t want to write them yourself, but i prefer writing them myself bc then i can put as many high level techniques and phrases in as possible.

i also try to read and watch stuff in french, and actively translate it as i go, which helps with reading & listening. but i plan on doing this a lot more bc my listening keeps bringing my grade down! i also talk in french as much as possible for the days before any exam so i can work out on my fluency and ability to translate things in my head quickly.

i go through the textbook vocab too and try to memorise that as much as possible, which helps with reading, the translations & listening too.

Quick Reply

Latest