The Student Room Group

Life at Drama School

I’m a year 12 student thinking of applying to Drama School next school and I was wondering how different life is at Drama School compared to University as I would still like to have the ‘uni experience’(or something similar). I’ve heard that GSA is a good Drama School that still gives you all the social aspects of Uni as it’s linked to Surrey University and accommodation is on the uni campus. I hope this makes sense and if anyone has any advice or recommendations of other Drama Schools please let me know!
Reply 1
*next school year
Original post by anouk_
I’m a year 12 student thinking of applying to Drama School next school and I was wondering how different life is at Drama School compared to University as I would still like to have the ‘uni experience’(or something similar). I’ve heard that GSA is a good Drama School that still gives you all the social aspects of Uni as it’s linked to Surrey University and accommodation is on the uni campus. I hope this makes sense and if anyone has any advice or recommendations of other Drama Schools please let me know!

Hi there!

I’m Rose and I’m a third year actor-musician at GSA. You are absolutely right GSA has the perfect combo of having a drama school and university experience in one! In first year you get to live on campus, where you are integrated with University of Surrey students in your flat and building, so you get to meet people on all sorts of different courses! But they do also make sure that there are a couple of people from GSA in each building as well, which allows you to make friends from GSA that aren’t just on your course! There are also all the university societies that you can get involved with as well, which they have pretty much any society you’d want! You also have access to all the University of Surrey resources such as the library, quiet study spaces, centre for wellbeing etc.
I’ve personally had an amazing experience here as it’s felt like you’ve got the full intensity of drama school training, whilst having the uni campus space and being able to make non-GSA friends as a chance to breathe and relax from that intensity!

Let me know if you have any more questions, best of luck with your applications next year! :smile:

Best wishes,
Rose Warburton (she/her)
Actor-Musician, 3rd year
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there!
I’m Rose and I’m a third year actor-musician at GSA. You are absolutely right GSA has the perfect combo of having a drama school and university experience in one! In first year you get to live on campus, where you are integrated with University of Surrey students in your flat and building, so you get to meet people on all sorts of different courses! But they do also make sure that there are a couple of people from GSA in each building as well, which allows you to make friends from GSA that aren’t just on your course! There are also all the university societies that you can get involved with as well, which they have pretty much any society you’d want! You also have access to all the University of Surrey resources such as the library, quiet study spaces, centre for wellbeing etc.
I’ve personally had an amazing experience here as it’s felt like you’ve got the full intensity of drama school training, whilst having the uni campus space and being able to make non-GSA friends as a chance to breathe and relax from that intensity!
Let me know if you have any more questions, best of luck with your applications next year! :smile:
Best wishes,
Rose Warburton (she/her)
Actor-Musician, 3rd year

Hi, my daughter has just accepted a place on BA acting. Where would you recommend is good accommodation for the first year on campus?
Original post by emastep2109
Hi, my daughter has just accepted a place on BA acting. Where would you recommend is good accommodation for the first year on campus?

Hi there!
Congratulations on your daughter gaining a place! For accommodation I would recommend being in one of the blocks on Stag Hill campus (such as Twyford Court, Cathedral Court, Battersea Court) as it’s closer to GSA than the Manor Park facilities. However if she was to stay at Manor Park then there it’s only a 20 minute walk down the road, or there are regular buses that go to Stag Hill. I will link below the different types of accommodation that’s on the University of Surrey website! Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/our-accommodation

Best wishes,
Rose Warburton (she/her)
Actor-Musician, 3rd year

Quick Reply