The Student Room Group

doing independent research (as a sixth former/highschooler)

hello! was just wondering if anyone has experience doing independent research (for social science/humanities subject area) in sixth form or high school and could maybe provide some tips on how to get started? thank you so much!
Original post by raymiae
hello! was just wondering if anyone has experience doing independent research (for social science/humanities subject area) in sixth form or high school and could maybe provide some tips on how to get started? thank you so much!

Hi there,

I did some research for Psychology in college, one of the social sciences. My interest has always stemmed from Loftus & Palmer and their research into eye witness testimonies and memory. I found an optical illusion and I asked 25 people 'Are there any shapes in this photo' and 25 others 'How many shapes are there in this photo' (1 non-leading question and 1 leading question, respectively). In actuality there were no shapes and it was an illusion. Interestingly, in Q1 3/25 agreed there were shapes and in Q2 6/25 counted the shapes, meaning they thought there were shapes present in the photo. How the simple wording of a question can change people's perspective!

Essentially, if you use previous studies and previous ideas from others in the subject you're studying you can look at creating your own study that adds to those ideas. I would also advise you try to do something that's interesting to you and that way you're more driven to follow it through.

Hope this gives you a bit of food for thought.

Ethan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending