The Student Room Group

Question about notice period after leaving a job

Hello
I recently posted a question on here about holiday pay which has now been answered but I’m not sure if you’re dismissed for misconduct (NOT gross misconduct) and your employer asks you to not come in again would I still get paid for some notice period? Is the statutory notice period 1 week? I was at Tesco for a year before being dismissed for attendance so do they have to pay me for a week assuming they don’t offer a longer notice in my contract?
Thanks for any advice
Original post by Kieran7841
Hello
I recently posted a question on here about holiday pay which has now been answered but I’m not sure if you’re dismissed for misconduct (NOT gross misconduct) and your employer asks you to not come in again would I still get paid for some notice period? Is the statutory notice period 1 week? I was at Tesco for a year before being dismissed for attendance so do they have to pay me for a week assuming they don’t offer a longer notice in my contract?
Thanks for any advice

It would depend on exactly what your contact says, but if you are in one weeks' notice and they tell you to leave immediately (and not work your notice) then they're still obliged to pay you for that week.

Things would be more complicated if your hours weren't fixed, and depended on when they added you to a particular shift. But assuming your hours / days were fixed, then the above should apply.

However, note how I started this reply: "It would depend on exactly what your contact says." If the contract says, "If the contract is terminated for reasons of misconduct then the notice period will not apply", then things would get tricky. As then you'd have to claim that those terms were unfair and unreasonable - even though you agreed to them when you signed the contract.

In short, read the contract.
Reply 2
Thanks for your response. You’re right it’ll just be best to get my contract. I should have asked that day but looks like I’ll have to wait for it to be sent out to me or something. I do have fixed hours though so I’m assuming as you said I’ll be paid for my contracted hours for the statutory 1 week more than likely.
Hello
Thanks for any advice

You'll be paid up to the day you were dismissed....... Any hours you worked up to then you'll be paid for, depends on what day you started working with Tesco plus how many days prior to the cutoff date for to be paid for that particular month..... If you leave Tesco yourself you would have to give them a minimum of 1 week notice if under a year ( over a year it's a week notice for every year you have worked there). But Tesco can also give you a week notice if they chose to do so unless it's a decision made due to misconduct or something else then they can dismiss you there and then but will pay you for it.

Previously I mentioned that you should discuss this matter with your usdaw union representative and they should be able to handle things for you.
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
You'll be paid up to the day you were dismissed....... Any hours you worked up to then you'll be paid for, depends on what day you started working with Tesco plus how many days prior to the cutoff date for to be paid for that particular month..... If you leave Tesco yourself you would have to give them a minimum of 1 week notice if under a year ( over a year it's a week notice for every year you have worked there). But Tesco can also give you a week notice if they chose to do so unless it's a decision made due to misconduct or something else then they can dismiss you there and then but will pay you for it.
Previously I mentioned that you should discuss this matter with your usdaw union representative and they should be able to handle things for you.

thanks for your response. I’ve got my contract now and I’m receiving 4 weeks pay from the date my employment ended as the letter says. I’ll speak to the union rep still though about holiday pay etc but that’s more than less cleared things up.
thanks for your response. I’ve got my contract now and I’m receiving 4 weeks pay from the date my employment ended as the letter says. I’ll speak to the union rep still though about holiday pay etc but that’s more than less cleared things up.

Thanks 😊
At least you now know what you will receive for pay etc from Tesco.... Remember to check it thoroughly when you receive it just incase of any mistakes by them 😔

Yes I would certainly still speak with your union rep.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Tracey_W
Thanks 😊
At least you now know what you will receive for pay etc from Tesco.... Remember to check it thoroughly when you receive it just incase of any mistakes by them 😔
Yes I would certainly still speak with your union rep.

Many thank again 😊

So I’m getting 4 weeks pay from the day my employment ended on 5th April. Do you think all this will show on my next payslip this month? As for example any hours worked 2 days before payday will go onto next months payslip as its past the cut off in that case but since they said I’m getting 4 weeks pay on my final payslip do you think I’ll only be paid up to a few days before payday this month and then getting another payslip in may?
I’m hoping all 4 weeks pay (including pay for hours that I would of worked in early may had I been there still) will show in my April payslip 🤞
Many thank again 😊
So I’m getting 4 weeks pay from the day my employment ended on 5th April. Do you think all this will show on my next payslip this month? As for example any hours worked 2 days before payday will go onto next months payslip as its past the cut off in that case but since they said I’m getting 4 weeks pay on my final payslip do you think I’ll only be paid up to a few days before payday this month and then getting another payslip in may?
I’m hoping all 4 weeks pay (including pay for hours that I would of worked in early may had I been there still) will show in my April payslip 🤞
You are welcome Kieran ☺️

I'll be honest with you about the pay you'll receive from Tesco - when you'll receive it will really depend on how quickly your manager and HR notify payroll about your situation. If they send the information to payroll asap after the meeting you where dismissed at then hopefully you'll receive in your next available payday ( as if you were still employed) , I would just advise you to check it when you receive it and make sure it is correct. They should send you notification on how much you'll be receiving on next payday asi think you'll probably be locked out of your online Tesco staff account.
Hopefully you'll receive as scheduled on the next payday okay. 🤞 Any issues with this then you'll have to notify payroll about it 😔.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending