The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Is Sheffield a good uni?

Hi all,

I am considering studying a joint honours Music and English degree and, so far, Sheffield is my top choice. I am going to go to the open days and visit the city, but it looks great on paper. Does anyone have any personal experiences about studying at Sheffield they could share?

Hey, I was at Sheffield last year (before deciding to change course, so I'm on a leave of absence till September) and I absolutely loved it! I lived up in endcliffe and rly liked it there, since it's surrounded by so much greenery, and the area felt very safe. Essentially from the university campus up to endcliffe, I would feel very comfortable walking by myself late at night, which for me personally I really liked. There are also so many events to get stuck into, like the edge runs weekly art, exercise, and all sorts of activities. Which tbf I didn't utilise that much, but I definitely will going back (they also run these sorts of things at other uos accoms). And mainly just the people that I met were all really nice, as there's a good mix of people from all over the UK. The 24hr library the IC (information comes) is also definitely a bonus, for late night study sessions :smile:) and I mean the city itself I like because it's not too busy that it's overwhelming, so as a person from an island, it was completely fine to adjust to. Lmk if you've got any other specific things you want to know about, as I'd be happy to answer.

(Ofc all this is subjective personal experience, but I never met or spoke to anyone who didn't like it)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by pandapang05
Hey, I was at Sheffield last year (before deciding to change course, so I'm on a leave of absence till September) and I absolutely loved it! I lived up in endcliffe and rly liked it there, since it's surrounded by so much greenery, and the area felt very safe. Essentially from the university campus up to endcliffe, I would feel very comfortable walking by myself late at night, which for me personally I really liked. There are also so many events to get stuck into, like the edge runs weekly art, exercise, and all sorts of activities. Which tbf I didn't utilise that much, but I definitely will going back (they also run these sorts of things at other uos accoms). And mainly just the people that I met were all really nice, as there's a good mix of people from all over the UK. The 24hr library the IC (information comes) is also definitely a bonus, for late night study sessions :smile:) and I mean the city itself I like because it's not too busy that it's overwhelming, so as a person from an island, it was completely fine to adjust to. Lmk if you've got any other specific things you want to know about, as I'd be happy to answer.
(Ofc all this is subjective personal experience, but I never met or spoke to anyone who didn't like it)

I studied psychology just fyi :smile:)
Original post by pandapang05

Hi, im also considering sheffield and i was wondering what is the support like from the uni? thanks
Original post by ScienceStudent!
Hi, im also considering sheffield and i was wondering what is the support like from the uni? thanks

The uni has a lot of support services in the SU that you can walk into during opening hours, and from my experience they were able to be helpful and direct me to who I should speak to or just giving good advice.
Also during the last bit of time I was at the uni I was struggling with my mental wellbeing, and I was able to have a virtual meeting with a student wellbeing person (this could also be a walk in the park or smth if you prefer face to face). That was with the department of science person, but they have someone for all of the uni course categories. But I found that really helpful in just having someone to talk to, he also sent me a bunch of resources and stuff.
You also have a personal tutor who you can book in meetings with, if you have anything you want to talk about course wise or general uni life. mine was really helpful in directing me and listening, when I was going through the process of changing course
My friend going into second year was also having struggles dealing with a landlord, and the student housing services people had someone specifically to shout at landlords lol. Sheffield said that they were really helpful, and responsive when they were going through the whole ordeal.
But in general I had good experiences with all the support services I personally used :smile:
Original post by 176253
Hi all,
I am considering studying a joint honours Music and English degree and, so far, Sheffield is my top choice. I am going to go to the open days and visit the city, but it looks great on paper. Does anyone have any personal experiences about studying at Sheffield they could share?

Hi 176253,
My name is Sofia and I am a 3rd Year Biochemistry student at the University of Sheffield. It is great that you are going to an open day as I would say this is the best way to get a feel for the uni! When I visited I really got to experience the friendly atmosphere here at Sheffield and that was what made me choose to go here. Although I do a different course, so can't give you course specific information, I can share my own experiences of Sheffield. I have really enjoyed my course and have found the lecturers to be enthusiastic and engaging. As I said, I love the friendly atmosphere at Sheffield, especially in first year when I lived in Endcliffe I really got that community feel. Sheffield as a city is really nice as well. It is a good mix of having lots to do but also many green spaces like Weston Park, Endcliffe Park and the Peak District. I have loved my time at Sheffield and wish you all the best for your university journey.
I hope this helped and please don't hesitate to ask my any other questions you may have,
Sofia 🙂
Reply 6
I am first year and I literally could not recommend Sheffield more or be happier here !! Best decision of my life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending