The Student Room Group

Home Fee Status

I wanted to know whether I would be eligible for home fee status. I am a UK citizen and established ordinary residence in the UK, as I lived there with my parents for 3.5 years. We moved due to Canada in Jan 2019 due to my fathers job and will stay here until June 2025, at which point we will return to the UK. My father has a letter from his employer requesting him to relocate to Canada for a 6.5 year fixed period, the letter also states that the intention would be return to the UK after fixed period. Does that satisfy the criteria for temporary absence through parent employment. Note we travel back to the UK once a year and maintain a principle property which my parents lease. Many thanks
Original post by bobbell3067
I wanted to know whether I would be eligible for home fee status. I am a UK citizen and established ordinary residence in the UK, as I lived there with my parents for 3.5 years. We moved due to Canada in Jan 2019 due to my fathers job and will stay here until June 2025, at which point we will return to the UK. My father has a letter from his employer requesting him to relocate to Canada for a 6.5 year fixed period, the letter also states that the intention would be return to the UK after fixed period. Does that satisfy the criteria for temporary absence through parent employment. Note we travel back to the UK once a year and maintain a principle property which my parents lease. Many thanks

Hi there,

Providing evidence to show the temporary break in your residency can be reviewed. We would need copies of your Father's contracts showing his temporary employment, if you maintained a link with the UK how did you do this?

Thanks, Ross
Reply 2
Hi Ross. Thanks for your prompt response. I don't have my fathers contract but I do have a letter written from the employer prior to the move to Canada outlined fixed term and intention to return to the UK. The fact that was written prior to departure should help, as opposed to be written after the fact....Can I provide this to you in a private channel? I am hoping this letter alone will be enough to justify temporary absence.

Maintaining links is mainly UK Bank account, UK principle property(leased whilst we are in Canada), mortgage details, Grand parents house used as base and address appearing on Council Tax and Bank statements. Flights to the UK in 2022 and 2024(x2), not 2023. Is there anything else that would help to show habitual home in UK.
Reply 3
Hi Ross. Thanks for your prompt response. I don't have my fathers contract but I do have a letter written from the employer prior to the move to Canada outlined fixed term and intention to return to the UK. The fact that was written prior to departure should help, as opposed to be written after the fact....Can I provide this to you in a private channel? I am hoping this letter alone will be enough to justify temporary absence.
Maintaining links is mainly UK Bank account, UK principle property(leased whilst we are in Canada), mortgage details, Grand parents house used as base and address appearing on Council Tax and Bank statements. Flights to the UK in 2022 and 2024(x2), not 2023. Is there anything else that would help to show habitual home in UK.

Also Family living in the UK
Also Family living in the UK

Thanks for the detailed response. We can't accept evidence through private channels unfortunately.

You would be best to make an application, we do ask for information regarding residency and then you can upload online what you can. If further evidence is required you would be emailed to advise this from the assessors. All evidence would be uploaded to your account or sent by post.

Thanks, Ross
Just noting that SFE don't determine your fee status, (that is done by the unis you apply to), only your eligiblity for funding.
Reply 6
Original post by Ross SLC
Thanks for the detailed response. We can't accept evidence through private channels unfortunately.
You would be best to make an application, we do ask for information regarding residency and then you can upload online what you can. If further evidence is required you would be emailed to advise this from the assessors. All evidence would be uploaded to your account or sent by post.
Thanks, Ross

Thanks Ross. What information is requested for residency? What other evidence is typically requested to confirm habitual home. I would like to collate this ahead of my applications. Would the letter from the employer be the only piece of evidence required to confirm Temporary absence? The letter states, hoping this is good enough, it was written in 2018 prior to starting;

This role will require you to work within a fixed term on a full-time basis, starting, xx,
2019, and concluding in June 2025.

As part of your appointment, xxx will cover the cost of relocation for you and your family to
facilitate your move to the Canada. The intention behind this relocation is for you to return to xxx
in the United Kingdom upon the completion of the assignment. Your contributions to our
organization are highly valued, and we anticipate your continued involvement upon your return.
Thanks Ross. What information is requested for residency? What other evidence is typically requested to confirm habitual home. I would like to collate this ahead of my applications. Would the letter from the employer be the only piece of evidence required to confirm Temporary absence? The letter states, hoping this is good enough, it was written in 2018 prior to starting;
This role will require you to work within a fixed term on a full-time basis, starting, xx,
2019, and concluding in June 2025.
As part of your appointment, xxx will cover the cost of relocation for you and your family to
facilitate your move to the Canada. The intention behind this relocation is for you to return to xxx
in the United Kingdom upon the completion of the assignment. Your contributions to our
organization are highly valued, and we anticipate your continued involvement upon your return.

The contract would be the main part, we would also look for copies of flight tickets to confirm your return to UK. If you have evidence of maintaining a link to the uk (which you stated you do) you should also send that to us as well.

Thanks, Ross
Reply 8
Thanks Ross, I only have a letter from the employer stating the above(fixed date start and end and intention to return to the UK), would that be sufficient.
Thanks Ross, I only have a letter from the employer stating the above(fixed date start and end and intention to return to the UK), would that be sufficient.

It will be reviewed. You may be asked for further evidence.

Thanks, Ross
Reply 10
perfect thanks for your help
perfect thanks for your help

You're welcome. If you have any further queries, please let us know. Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply