The Student Room Group

For those doing iGCSE Edexcel English

I’m having trouble maintaining 7s in both aspects of English. If u guys have any tips please share 🙏
Original post by mayarpapayar
I’m having trouble maintaining 7s in both aspects of English. If u guys have any tips please share 🙏
Hi i got a 9 in both englishes, rather than annotating poems i made headline things i could say so it’s quicker to remember and it’ll be more valuable. I revised quite late for english lit so i didnt have time to remeber all poems ik this is risky but try finding what poems are predicted/or wont come up at all. There were 5 poems that were predicted and 2 came up. But if u have the time definitely revise all poems. For english lang practise writing transactional, such as articles letters whatever it is. Then self mark it and compare it to a sample piece of work given by the exam board. Look at vocab, what words could u replace to make it fancy, dont stick to PEEL Structure make it more complex and interesting. Use words like furthermore, on the contrary.
Original post by rabiiii379
Hi i got a 9 in both englishes, rather than annotating poems i made headline things i could say so it’s quicker to remember and it’ll be more valuable. I revised quite late for english lit so i didnt have time to remeber all poems ik this is risky but try finding what poems are predicted/or wont come up at all. There were 5 poems that were predicted and 2 came up. But if u have the time definitely revise all poems. For english lang practise writing transactional, such as articles letters whatever it is. Then self mark it and compare it to a sample piece of work given by the exam board. Look at vocab, what words could u replace to make it fancy, dont stick to PEEL Structure make it more complex and interesting. Use words like furthermore, on the contrary.

Thanks for ur help!! also, if u took the English gcses last year, do u remember the poem that came up from the anthology?
Thanks for ur help!! also, if u took the English gcses last year, do u remember the poem that came up from the anthology?
Yes i think it was passage to africa i can tag you to posts and other revision threads cos they are also much more detailed

Is there any feedback your teachers might have given you?
Original post by jelllyfiiish
Is there any feedback your teachers might have given you?

There was one where she stated something abt linking + adding context in the eng lit exam, that 45 marker one if you know what I’m talking abt.
How much context would you need to add?? ( for ref I do to kill a mockingbird )
There was one where she stated something abt linking + adding context in the eng lit exam, that 45 marker one if you know what I’m talking abt.
How much context would you need to add?? ( for ref I do to kill a mockingbird )

I would say context plays a huge part in English lit essays - for example, I do Of Mice and Men, and we have to include context for 30-50% of the essay. (Basically in each analysis paragraph)
So I'd assume for To Kill a Mockingbird it would be something similar: 40% context, 60% analysis. Both context and analysis are marked.

Example mini paragraph:
Analysis - not bolded
Context - bolded

In Of Mice and Men, Steinbeck portrays the theme of loneliness by setting the story in "Soledad", which is translated to loneliness and solitude in Spanish. Moreover, "Soledad" is located in California - also known as the Golden State where the theme of the American Dream takes place. Furthermore, during the Great Depression, many itinerant workers tried to move to California to make a suitable living - abandoning their families in the process. This directly correlates to the theme of loneliness, as well as the fact that many workers move around independently.

Basically, weaving in bits of context through your analysis!
Hope this helps. :biggrin:
Original post by jelllyfiiish
I would say context plays a huge part in English lit essays - for example, I do Of Mice and Men, and we have to include context for 30-50% of the essay. (Basically in each analysis paragraph)
So I'd assume for To Kill a Mockingbird it would be something similar: 40% context, 60% analysis. Both context and analysis are marked.
Example mini paragraph:
Analysis - not bolded
Context - bolded
In Of Mice and Men, Steinbeck portrays the theme of loneliness by setting the story in "Soledad", which is translated to loneliness and solitude in Spanish. Moreover, "Soledad" is located in California - also known as the Golden State where the theme of the American Dream takes place. Furthermore, during the Great Depression, many itinerant workers tried to move to California to make a suitable living - abandoning their families in the process. This directly correlates to the theme of loneliness, as well as the fact that many workers move around independently.
Basically, weaving in bits of context through your analysis!
Hope this helps. :biggrin:

Thank you!! This helped a lot

Quick Reply

Latest