The Student Room Group

EPQ

I am currently choosing my A levels I think I am going to choose Philosophy, Politics and Business. To get into Uni's I could probably get my offers lowered by a grade because I am in foster care. Is it still worth me doing an EPQ or should I just stay focused on my Alevels? Any advise would be much appreciated.
Original post by AnthonyM0208
I am currently choosing my A levels I think I am going to choose Philosophy, Politics and Business. To get into Uni's I could probably get my offers lowered by a grade because I am in foster care. Is it still worth me doing an EPQ or should I just stay focused on my Alevels? Any advise would be much appreciated.

If the objective of taking the EPQ would be to lower the required grades (which some universities do), and if the universities to which you'd be applying would lower your required grades anyway (due to you being is foster care), then there would be little point in taking the EPQ for that reason. (You might want to take it anyway, to get some experience of performing a research project prior to uni, but that's a different question.)

I suggest you carefully check the contextual requirements of the universities to which you'd be applying and confirm that their conditions include being in foster care. (Different universities use different criteria.)
Reply 2
Original post by AnthonyM0208

It depends tbh!!! I didn't take an epq, as my school offered taking an AS instead, but I now regret it! It depends on what uni and what course you want to apply too. If you are applying to top 5/10 unis, then they won't normally give a reduced offer, but a lot of other really great unis, including russell groups, soas, and royal holloway will give an even lower reduced offer for EPQ, even if you already have a comtextual one. For lower ranked, local unis, they will probably consider ucas score as a whole, which EPQ will add to. But, if you want to apply to a niche course with a subject you don't study, then it may help to do an epq on the topic to show unis you are interested in. I now want to spply for joint courses that have sociology and politics, and I could have done my EPQ on one of those to show that I am comitted to learning about them, as I will have nothing but essay comps to put on my personal statement for them as they are hard to get work experience for. I would take it anyway, and as you want to take three essay based subjects it shouldn't be that hard!!!
Original post by DataVenia
If the objective of taking the EPQ would be to lower the required grades (which some universities do), and if the universities to which you'd be applying would lower your required grades anyway (due to you being is foster care), then there would be little point in taking the EPQ for that reason. (You might want to take it anyway, to get some experience of performing a research project prior to uni, but that's a different question.)
I suggest you carefully check the contextual requirements of the universities to which you'd be applying and confirm that their conditions include being in foster care. (Different universities use different criteria.)

Thank you so much got the advise :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending