The Student Room Group

History and politics A-level

I need to choose between history or politics A-level to study next year. I really like history at GCSE, but politics also seems interesting
Can anyone that does it let me know how they are and help me pick? thanks
I would say History. Politics is easier than History but History is more respected and it's so interesting! I do both but I still love History. Look at the syllabuses for both subjects and see what tickles ya fancy
I do politics and history and I would 100% choose history!!! I think History is easier and more interesting than politics, plus with the course I take there's political elements within the history subject.
Reply 3
Original post by florencegrxnt
I do politics and history and I would 100% choose history!!! I think History is easier and more interesting than politics, plus with the course I take there's political elements within the history subject.

oh okay thank you
do you think it's a good idea to take both in y12 (so 4 a-levels) and see which one i like more? or would it be too much?
Original post by fffhjtf
I need to choose between history or politics A-level to study next year. I really like history at GCSE, but politics also seems interesting

I do both and really like them, but personally prefer politics :smile:
im happy to answer any questions about both
Reply 5
Original post by erin11
I do both and really like them, but personally prefer politics :smile:
im happy to answer any questions about both

why do you prefer politics? is it easier or more interesting?
and is it easier to revise for history or politics?
Original post by fffhjtf
why do you prefer politics? is it easier or more interesting?
and is it easier to revise for history or politics?

while there is a some overlap in terms of the politics between politics and history that i’m doing, i generally prefer the topics in politics and for me feels a lot easier to do well and score highly in x
tbf, whether revision is easier or harder is a very subjective thing so maybe chiose both and see which one you like more
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 7
Original post by erin11
while there is a some overlap in terms of the politics between politics and history that i’m doing, i generally prefer the topics in politics and for me feels a lot easier to do well and score highly in x
tbf, whether revision is easier or harder is a very subjective thing so maybe chiose both and see which one you like more

thank u so much
i need bio and chem for what i want to do in uni, and i want a humanities subject so im not doing all stem subjects since i like both so i need to do one
i could do 4 a levels but people say the content for history and politics is a lot to deal with so not sure if it's what i should do
Original post by fffhjtf
thank u so much
i need bio and chem for what i want to do in uni, and i want a humanities subject so im not doing all stem subjects since i like both so i need to do one
i could do 4 a levels but people say the content for history and politics is a lot to deal with so not sure if it's what i should do
true.
NEA is something else to consider - for history you have to do an NEA coursework, which can be quite time consuming and added stress whereas there’s no NEA for politics x
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by fffhjtf

I take both History and Politics and if I could only pick one I would pick History. Someone already said it but History is definitely a more respected subject because it's considered a cornerstone subject. I think Politics is easier but History is easier to revise for because it's a set time range whereas Politics is always changing and you are expected to know recent examples.

Quick Reply

Latest