The Student Room Group

Dropping out during the summer?

Hi there,

I'm currently thinking of dropping out of uni over the summer. I understand the normal process to go through for dropping out of uni, but I was wondering if anyone knew if it's any different if you drop out over the summer. Is it just a case of not reregistering for the academic year with the uni and not doing another student finance application or do I still have to go through the same process?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Hi!

I haven't personally dropped out during the summer but I have recently dropped out of university and I would probably say the best thing to do is talk to your university as they will be the best to advise you and tell you; from my experience I needed to sign a withdrawal letter with my last date of attendance and then my university sent it to SFE to make them aware that I no longer attend my studies. When that was done, I got letters from SFE saying that because I withdrew I would owe them money and would have to pay them back. I'm unsure if this will be the case for you but please be aware that there could possibly be repercussions with you dropping out.

Hope this helps,
Scott (he/him)
Hi there,

Dropping out of university is an important decision, so make sure you considered all of your options carefully.

The first thing you’ll need to do is to talk to your university. Usually, you can meet with a student support officer, a careers advisor or a student finance advisor and they can help you figure out your next steps and whether dropping out is the right choice for you. For example, if you’re facing financial difficulties, the student finance advisor may provide guidance on other options.

Once you're confident about your decision and you’ve decided to leave your university course, you’ll need to contact your university's student support team to begin the withdrawal process. It's likely you’ll meet with your personal tutor to obtain withdrawal forms. Make sure to fill out these forms and submit them to finalize the date when you'll offically leave the institution and course. Although you're planning to do this over the summer, I would recommend completing all paperwork as soon as possible as it might be timely.

Finally, sort out any administrative tasks related to student finance arrangements and make sure you understand the implications of leaving and find any outstanding fees you may need to settle.

Remember that dropping out of university is a significant decision so it’s essential to consider all aspects before proceeding with an informed choice.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

Quick Reply

Latest