The Student Room Group

Study now at Exeter or wait one year to study at KCL or Bristol?

Briefly: should I go to Exeter uni now or wait one year to possible go to KCL or Bristol to study business. Please read fully message if you can/want of course.

Although I know that the decision is mine, I would really like to hear the thoughts of other people and students about my situation, your opinion is very important to me, because I am in a difficult situation.

I came from Ukraine and immediately went to six forms to study in grades 12-13. Due to English not being my first language, I could only choose to study a BTEC qualification. I choose business (single & double) that is, diploma. And also IT extended certificate. My predicted grades were DDM, but after receiving the results in March, I will definitely have D*DD, and if I retake the exam well, there is even the possibility of getting D*D*D. With my predicted DDM grades, I couldn’t apply to top universities, although I really wanted to. (I really wanted to go to KCL). Also in May I will take A level in Russian, and I hope to get A or A*. Although it is not my first language, I know it quite well.

I want to study Business management (with elements of marketing there is such a possibility, but it is not necessary). I received an offer from the University of Exeter for the course Business management (marketing) with industrial year. That is, I can already go to this university. But, there are two factors that I don't really like: the location, I will be far from London where my family and friends are likely to be, and the fact that I couldn't get into the university I wanted (KCL).

I can go to KCL with BTEC and two A levels. I have BTEC and only need DDD grades. And for A levels I need AA grades. I would rather get an A in Russian. And the second subject that I would like to take is sociology, although my English is not perfect, I heard it is not a very difficult A level and I believe that with a year of diligent preparation, I can get an A grade in sociology. That is, it seems like there is an opportunity to enter this university, but I will need to lose one year to pass sociology. But, as an excuse, I think that I will not spend this year in vain, but usefully, by improving my English.

But, even if there is, I won't be able to achieve an A in Sociology, or if KCL for other reasons doesn't want to take me to university, I can go to Bristol University, where I only need DDD, and that's what I already have. Unfortunately, I can't apply now because it's too late, and the clearing program doesn't work at these universities, there's too much competition, especially for such a popular course (business).

I know that Exeter is quite prestigious (150 in the world and 8th in business), but KCL is better (30 in the world and 5 in business), and even Bristol (50 in the world and 25 in business). I understand that I will get education once and it will be for life, so most likely I need to try to get into the university better.

I would really like to hear your opinions because I am confused, thank you very much to everyone who read my message and replied to me!
Original post by ppaden
Briefly: should I go to Exeter uni now or wait one year to possible go to KCL or Bristol to study business. Please read fully message if you can/want of course.
Although I know that the decision is mine, I would really like to hear the thoughts of other people and students about my situation, your opinion is very important to me, because I am in a difficult situation.
I came from Ukraine and immediately went to six forms to study in grades 12-13. Due to English not being my first language, I could only choose to study a BTEC qualification. I choose business (single & double) that is, diploma. And also IT extended certificate. My predicted grades were DDM, but after receiving the results in March, I will definitely have D*DD, and if I retake the exam well, there is even the possibility of getting D*D*D. With my predicted DDM grades, I couldn’t apply to top universities, although I really wanted to. (I really wanted to go to KCL). Also in May I will take A level in Russian, and I hope to get A or A*. Although it is not my first language, I know it quite well.
I want to study Business management (with elements of marketing there is such a possibility, but it is not necessary). I received an offer from the University of Exeter for the course Business management (marketing) with industrial year. That is, I can already go to this university. But, there are two factors that I don't really like: the location, I will be far from London where my family and friends are likely to be, and the fact that I couldn't get into the university I wanted (KCL).
I can go to KCL with BTEC and two A levels. I have BTEC and only need DDD grades. And for A levels I need AA grades. I would rather get an A in Russian. And the second subject that I would like to take is sociology, although my English is not perfect, I heard it is not a very difficult A level and I believe that with a year of diligent preparation, I can get an A grade in sociology. That is, it seems like there is an opportunity to enter this university, but I will need to lose one year to pass sociology. But, as an excuse, I think that I will not spend this year in vain, but usefully, by improving my English.
But, even if there is, I won't be able to achieve an A in Sociology, or if KCL for other reasons doesn't want to take me to university, I can go to Bristol University, where I only need DDD, and that's what I already have. Unfortunately, I can't apply now because it's too late, and the clearing program doesn't work at these universities, there's too much competition, especially for such a popular course (business).
I know that Exeter is quite prestigious (150 in the world and 8th in business), but KCL is better (30 in the world and 5 in business), and even Bristol (50 in the world and 25 in business). I understand that I will get education once and it will be for life, so most likely I need to try to get into the university better.
I would really like to hear your opinions because I am confused, thank you very much to everyone who read my message and replied to me!

After reading your post, I felt that the location of the uni being in London, is a very important factor for you. So why not consider other london uni’s?
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/2024/business-management/
Although you want to study specifically business management, is there flexibility, as long as the degree is business with __?

If you dont want to go to exeter, reject the offer, and use UCAS extra.
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices

https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?searchTerm=Business%20and%20management&studyYear=2024&destination=Undergraduate&vacancy=eng&postcodeDistanceSystem=imperial&pageNumber=1&sort=MostRelevant&clearingPreference=None

Entered business and managent, and it shows courses with vacancies, Bristol appears: so they have vacancies to fill.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
After reading your post, I felt that the location of the uni being in London, is a very important factor for you. So why not consider other london uni’s?
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/2024/business-management/
Although you want to study specifically business management, is there flexibility, as long as the degree is business with __?
If you dont want to go to exeter, reject the offer, and use UCAS extra.
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?searchTerm=Business%20and%20management&studyYear=2024&destination=Undergraduate&vacancy=eng&postcodeDistanceSystem=imperial&pageNumber=1&sort=MostRelevant&clearingPreference=None
Entered business and managent, and it shows courses with vacancies, Bristol appears: so they have vacancies to fill.

Thank you for the response! The location it is not really important if it is a top uni like Bristol (still far away from London) but it is worth it. I want to study Business with management or/and marketing elements. Even when I have read about UCAS extra, I have a bit on misunderstanding. Is it where I can make additional choice? Or this is the same as courses with vacancies. How that extra UCAS works? Bristol appears, but it is unfortunately not original uni, that is UWE Bristol (different one).
Original post by ppaden
Thank you for the response! The location it is not really important if it is a top uni like Bristol (still far away from London) but it is worth it. I want to study Business with management or/and marketing elements. Even when I have read about UCAS extra, I have a bit on misunderstanding. Is it where I can make additional choice? Or this is the same as courses with vacancies. How that extra UCAS works? Bristol appears, but it is unfortunately not original uni, that is UWE Bristol (different one).

With UCAS extra, you have to have no offers. Meaning you were either rejected from the universities you applied to, or decided to reject any offers you received. After rejecting all of your offers, you are automatically in UCAS extra. Meaning you can then apply to one course with a vacancy, wait within 21 days for a response. If they reject you, you can apply to another course…

My personal opinion is that ranking does not matter. If you apply to a graduate programme after your degree, such as at HSBC, the only thing they would care about is your grade (first, 2:1…). Different business management courses at different universities would all have different modules, so it is best to read them. Of course, the difference is what the university can offer you in terms of giving you potential opportunities. But, it is up to you to make the most of university in terms of doing extra things to boost your employability (volunteering, summer placement, industry placement, part time job, society, sports…).

What I’m saying is to choose Exeter. I personally dont think it is worth the extra year applying to KCL, since there is no guarantee they would accept the offer, and you would be doing that extra sociology A Level just for KCL, and there is no guarantee with getting an A.
Original post by ppaden

In terms of rankings - I don't think this is necessarily the most important thing. Outside of a few roles/industries (e.g. investment banking/management consulting being the major one) I don't think it's as big a factor as you think. Realistically I think someone with a good degree result from Exeter would have similar career outcomes as someone with the same result from Bristol or KCL, assuming similar work experience etc.

Really the thing that sets graduates apart is what work experience/internships they undertake during their degree and how well they prepare for the psychometric tests and assessment centre exercises graduate schemes use to select applicants.

How do you feel about Exeter itself as a university? Is it somewhere you would want to study? Have you been able to visit?
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
In terms of rankings - I don't think this is necessarily the most important thing. Outside of a few roles/industries (e.g. investment banking/management consulting being the major one) I don't think it's as big a factor as you think. Realistically I think someone with a good degree result from Exeter would have similar career outcomes as someone with the same result from Bristol or KCL, assuming similar work experience etc.
Really the thing that sets graduates apart is what work experience/internships they undertake during their degree and how well they prepare for the psychometric tests and assessment centre exercises graduate schemes use to select applicants.
How do you feel about Exeter itself as a university? Is it somewhere you would want to study? Have you been able to visit?

Since I plan to get an education here and then return to my country, I believe that the ranking of the university can open up many opportunities for me at home. For example, when I am considered as a candidate, they will see that I studied at KCL for example, and will be impressed that my country will highlight me among my competitors. Also, I sincerely believe that the higher the rating a university has, the more difficult it is to get there, which means that such a university will have an appropriate contingent of students (motivated to be the best version of themselves). What I mean is that at top universities I can surround myself with people with whom I will achieve great goals. But on the other hand, I'm a little scared that the students there might be of a higher social class than me, because I'm a poor refugee, haha.
I was just at an open day at the University of Bath. I really don’t care what the dormitory conditions and other aspects of universities are like, how the buildings look (ugly or stunning). I'm going to university to get social networking and knowledge itself. And after watching a couple of videos about the University of Exeter and reading about it on the forums, I realised that this is a decent university, but not a top level one. Perhaps my demands are too big and I want the impossible. But, it’s not at all difficult for me to study something throughout the year in order to get a chance to go to a better university. The problem is that my A level is designed for 2 years, and I don’t know if I can study sociology for only 1 year, after which I can go to university. In any case, if KCL doesn't work out, I'll go to Bristol, almost guaranteed (in my opinion) and it's also one of the best universities.
Reply 6
Original post by BankaiGintoki
With UCAS extra, you have to have no offers. Meaning you were either rejected from the universities you applied to, or decided to reject any offers you received. After rejecting all of your offers, you are automatically in UCAS extra. Meaning you can then apply to one course with a vacancy, wait within 21 days for a response. If they reject you, you can apply to another course…
My personal opinion is that ranking does not matter. If you apply to a graduate programme after your degree, such as at HSBC, the only thing they would care about is your grade (first, 2:1…). Different business management courses at different universities would all have different modules, so it is best to read them. Of course, the difference is what the university can offer you in terms of giving you potential opportunities. But, it is up to you to make the most of university in terms of doing extra things to boost your employability (volunteering, summer placement, industry placement, part time job, society, sports…).
What I’m saying is to choose Exeter. I personally dont think it is worth the extra year applying to KCL, since there is no guarantee they would accept the offer, and you would be doing that extra sociology A Level just for KCL, and there is no guarantee with getting an A.

Thank you very much for the time you spent on research and helping me! I learned about new options, unfortunately I did not find a university where I would like to study for a vacancy program. Thank you also for your opinion on whether I should go to Exeter. In another post I explain why I still think that a high rating is good. If you're interested, you can read it. People still advise me to go to Exeter, because it is good and the ranking does not really matter, as they say, but I would like to try to go to a better university. And that’s the dilemma, I don’t want to make a mistake.
Original post by ppaden
Since I plan to get an education here and then return to my country, I believe that the ranking of the university can open up many opportunities for me at home. For example, when I am considered as a candidate, they will see that I studied at KCL for example, and will be impressed that my country will highlight me among my competitors. Also, I sincerely believe that the higher the rating a university has, the more difficult it is to get there, which means that such a university will have an appropriate contingent of students (motivated to be the best version of themselves). What I mean is that at top universities I can surround myself with people with whom I will achieve great goals. But on the other hand, I'm a little scared that the students there might be of a higher social class than me, because I'm a poor refugee, haha.
I was just at an open day at the University of Bath. I really don’t care what the dormitory conditions and other aspects of universities are like, how the buildings look (ugly or stunning). I'm going to university to get social networking and knowledge itself. And after watching a couple of videos about the University of Exeter and reading about it on the forums, I realised that this is a decent university, but not a top level one. Perhaps my demands are too big and I want the impossible. But, it’s not at all difficult for me to study something throughout the year in order to get a chance to go to a better university. The problem is that my A level is designed for 2 years, and I don’t know if I can study sociology for only 1 year, after which I can go to university. In any case, if KCL doesn't work out, I'll go to Bristol, almost guaranteed (in my opinion) and it's also one of the best universities.

Hmm well several things to pick up from here.

In terms of the relative value of the universities to employers in other countries that can vary - I can't really speak to that and you probably know better how things are interpreted in your country/culture!

In terms of rankings and difficulty of entry, that's very relative and does not quite translate in the way you think. Firstly, rankings invariably shift year on year, and entry requirements are also not really much of an indication (for example Exeter has relatively high published entry criteria, but their average converted tariff offers are lower than their published offers and they routinely are very flexible on results day for near and not-so near miss applicants).

Also regarding the student bodies - entry criteria doesn't necessarily translate to an intellectual and engaged student body. In my experience across several universities and courses (including Exeter at one point) there is ultimately a range of people of different motivations and engagement levels. Even at my current uni (UCL) I think some of the students I've come across are quite intellectually lazy (taking modules they already have a background in, skipping readings, using chatGPT to summarise readings rather than doing them themselves, etc). Others on the other hand are very invested in their course and wider matters though! In a similar manner, when I was at SOAS (which has much lower entry criteria and does not rank as highly in generic rankings) I found more of the students to be very engaged in the course intellectually in most of my subjects, as we were studying a smaller, more niche subject which everyone had their own reasons for pursuing.

In terms of "social class" this may not track in the sense of "higher ranking universities have students of higher social 'class'". Exeter (and to a lesser extent these days Bristol) is in fact renowned for having a lot of upper middle class students, whereas London universities tend to have a fair mix of students as a lot of students are local to London from all walks of life. But even then there isn't a sharp divide, it's just that students from some backgrounds may be harder to relate to than others and may be somewhat ignorant of the realities of life that others experience. I would be very surprised if you were directly discriminated against because of being a refugee at any uni (although people may ask you tactless questions, or just assume everyone has lots of money lying around to go and do things all the time!).

I would say though that people do sometimes take a single A-level in a year as an "intensive" course during a gap year. So it's not unheard of and is certainly possible in principle at least.
Original post by ppaden

You should nt be so focused on rankings - look at the courses.

Avoid Bristol as the accommodation issues are bad with some students in halls in Wales!

Exeter is not that much further than Bristol - and the industrial placement is a good idea.

Go ths year -
Original post by ppaden

Please dont rely on rankings as they are absolutely meaningless. The UK rankings tables show Exeter to be around the same as Bristol and both are higher than Kings. The issue is te International rankings like QS and THE highly favour big city universities like Kings whereas in the UK rankings that doesnt apply. Kings ranks several places below both others but in reality it wont make any difference.

My son is an Exeter graduate and is working for one of Europes biggest companies. A friend went to work for GCHQ and another Price Waterhouse. The rankings between these universities dont matter and it certainly shouldnt be a reason for taking an extra year.

The really big issue with Exeter is whether you will feel comfortable there. It is a small city unlike the other 2. Will you feel comfortable in a small beautiful place or would you prefer the hustle and bustle of London or Bristol. If you wont feel happy in a smaller city dont go to Exeter. The other issue is that London and Bristol are likely to be far more multi cultural but Exeter has a fair share of overseas students.

Exeter over many years has had a reputation for many years as being posh, white and middle class. This isnt the reality but like all top universities it has many privately educated students. At one time it was claimed to be the second choice university for Eton students. Many of Exeter's students will be Oxford and Cambridge rejects so you neednt worry about class.

As already said the key issues are locations and course and not rankings. If you are not comfortable somewhere it will be a long 3 years and tis will apply if the course isnt right for you. Nobody can tel you what is right for you as everybody is different but going somewhere because of the rankings is a very poor idea. You dont ant to spend 3 years being unhappy and maybe ending up leaving the course.
Original post by swanseajack1
Please dont rely on rankings as they are absolutely meaningless. The UK rankings tables show Exeter to be around the same as Bristol and both are higher than Kings. The issue is te International rankings like QS and THE highly favour big city universities like Kings whereas in the UK rankings that doesnt apply. Kings ranks several places below both others but in reality it wont make any difference.
My son is an Exeter graduate and is working for one of Europes biggest companies. A friend went to work for GCHQ and another Price Waterhouse. The rankings between these universities dont matter and it certainly shouldnt be a reason for taking an extra year.
The really big issue with Exeter is whether you will feel comfortable there. It is a small city unlike the other 2. Will you feel comfortable in a small beautiful place or would you prefer the hustle and bustle of London or Bristol. If you wont feel happy in a smaller city dont go to Exeter. The other issue is that London and Bristol are likely to be far more multi cultural but Exeter has a fair share of overseas students.
Exeter over many years has had a reputation for many years as being posh, white and middle class. This isnt the reality but like all top universities it has many privately educated students. At one time it was claimed to be the second choice university for Eton students. Many of Exeter's students will be Oxford and Cambridge rejects so you neednt worry about class.
As already said the key issues are locations and course and not rankings. If you are not comfortable somewhere it will be a long 3 years and tis will apply if the course isnt right for you. Nobody can tel you what is right for you as everybody is different but going somewhere because of the rankings is a very poor idea. You dont ant to spend 3 years being unhappy and maybe ending up leaving the course.

A couple of other things you need to be aware of. UWE is a separate university to Bristol university. It is on the outskirts of Bristol and is a much lower ranked university.

Exeter has 2 campuses in Exeter. Streatham and St Lukes and business courses are run in Streatham. Exeter is 2 hours by train from London as against 1 and 1/2 hours from Bristol. They also have a campus in Penryn in Cornwall and some business students are placed there. That is a very small place absolutely many hours from London. It might be worth checking which campus you are offered as that might impact on your decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending