The Student Room Group

Advice on uni choice

I’m very indecisive but this has been puzzling my mind .
I’m currently a year 13 student who has offers from university of manchester and Nottingham. I currently live in manchester and I think there is a lot of benefit of me staying in manchester for law , I have a good relationship with my family ,3/4 friends , live close by however I love the appeal of Nottingham and I am pretty sure I want to move and see what life it like outside from what I have now . However my family isn’t well off and if I were to stay in manchester I could save money , get a car , but I feel like this would come at the cost of the potential university experience I believe I could get at Nottingham such as gaining confidence through independence, managing myself, meeting new people . They are both russel groups but manchester has a higher ranking internationally . However Nottingham is equally as good from what I’ve seen and I’m not sure if I want to work abroad particularly.

If anyone has advice this would be great because I have chose Nottingham as my firm but I’m now starting to reconsider!!
Original post by Lawkiddd
I’m currently a year 13 student who has offers from university of manchester and Nottingham. I currently live in manchester and I think there is a lot of benefit of me staying in manchester for law , I have a good relationship with my family ,3/4 friends , live close by however I love the appeal of Nottingham and I am pretty sure I want to move and see what life it like outside from what I have now . However my family isn’t well off and if I were to stay in manchester I could save money , get a car , but I feel like this would come at the cost of the potential university experience I believe I could get at Nottingham such as gaining confidence through independence, managing myself, meeting new people . They are both russel groups but manchester has a higher ranking internationally . However Nottingham is equally as good from what I’ve seen and I’m not sure if I want to work abroad particularly.
If anyone has advice this would be great because I have chose Nottingham as my firm but I’m now starting to reconsider!!

this one's easy: go to Nottingham and be an adult.
Reply 2

Hi!

I saw another comment saying just go to Nottingham and I believe that's unfair. Yes, you would get a whole different experience and become more of an adult by living alone etc but don't go to a place where you might struggle financially. Struggling financially in an unknown place might affect many parts of your life such as mental health, how you cope on your course etc due to stressing about being able to afford things like food & rent.

I am not saying don't go to Nottingham, as it would be a great opportunity for you to reach out beyond Manchester, but definitely talk with family and with tutors at your college to support you through this decision making as they will be best at giving you the right advice moving forward.

Best of luck to you,
Scott (he/him)
(edited 1 month ago)

Hi! My advice would be to definitely take the time to explore both options, attend open days to get a general feel for each university, try to connect with current students at each to gather as much information as you can. University can be quite a change, and perhaps being in a familiar city with your family and friends may be comforting whilst also allowing you to meet like-minded people on your course, however Nottingham may feel like a better fit for you in terms of how the university feels and what it can offer. You’ll definitely experience the best of university with either choice and meet new friends! All the best with your decision 🙂

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
Reply 4
Nottingham has higher entry standards for Law, a higher research rating, and a slightly higher percentage of students who go on to do something related to Law. See TheCompleteUniversityGuide. If you ever work abroad, a good Law firm will know that (or just tell them that) or will be pleased that you chose a respected university (as a university overall, Nottingham's research quality is currently higher than Durham, Bath, and St Andrews) that has the better department. Maybe Nottingham has a particularly large department for it, I don't know, but after Oxbridge, Bristol/Durham, Nottingham has the highest number of students who go on to work for UK Law firms. For London Law firms, it's the same except UCL also has more than Nottingham. Manchester's strength is more largely science subjects.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi! My advice would be to definitely take the time to explore both options, attend open days to get a general feel for each university, try to connect with current students at each to gather as much information as you can. University can be quite a change, and perhaps being in a familiar city with your family and friends may be comforting whilst also allowing you to meet like-minded people on your course, however Nottingham may feel like a better fit for you in terms of how the university feels and what it can offer. You’ll definitely experience the best of university with either choice and meet new friends! All the best with your decision 🙂
Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield

2024 University Open Days are for potential applicants currently in Year 12 who will be applying for 2025 entry - not those hoping to start Uni this September.

To the OP :
Go on Campus Tours at each Uni if you can, or if not there is nothing to stop you just walking around each Uni campus to get a feel of the place. Although you wont be able to get into certain buildings, non-one will stop you and ask you for id etc, and you can do this at any tome, including evenings/weekends. This will give you some tome to think about the reality of being in each place.
Campus tours - The University of Nottingham
Guided campus visits | The University of Manchester

Going over to Nottingham on your own might be instructive - how does this feel, liberating or ...... Are you ready to leave home, go it alone, or do you need the security of home. Remember that you could still move out of home for 2nd year etc at Manc, and move into a house/flat share with others so its not a straight either/or.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending