The Student Room Group

REVISION - Y10 (GCSEs)

Hi in about 3 weeks I will have Year 10 mock exams for every subject I take and I have been revising since February but nothing seems to be sticking and now I'm panicking. Does anyone have any advice on how to revise the following:

ENGLISH LANGUAGE (EDUQAS)(MOCK: C1)
ENGLISH LITERATURE (EDUQAS)(MOCK: MACBETH AND SEEN POETRY)
MATHEMATICS (PEARSON EDEXCEL)(MOCK: PAPER 1 AND 2)
SCIENCE COMBINED (AQA TRIOLOGY)(PAPER 1 OF BIOLOGY, PHYSICS AND CHEMISTRY)
HISTORY (PEARSON EDEXCEL) (MOCK: COLD WAR AND EARLY ELIZABETHAN ENGLAND)
GEOGRAPHY (AQA) (MOCK: PHYSICAL PAPER)
MUSIC (AQA) (MOCK: NOT SURE)
COMPUTER SCIENE (OCR) (MOCK: PROBABLY PAPER 2)

Kind regards, Georgia (Y10, Secondary School)
Original post by Twistycrayon272
Hi in about 3 weeks I will have Year 10 mock exams for every subject I take and I have been revising since February but nothing seems to be sticking and now I'm panicking. Does anyone have any advice on how to revise the following:

Heyy! I'm also in yr 10 and have my mocks, starting form the first Wednesday back... 😶
(I'm not the best at english, so don't take my word fully)

english lang - I think the main thing is just to get yourself familiar with each question and how to structure your answers accordingly. Also something which I have found useful, is to look at grade 9, model answers to see what exactly I need to include to ensure top marks. Just another thing which was recommended to me was just to read a variety of texts in your own time, e.g, newspaper articles, letters etc and to just annotate them, just so you have a broadened knowledge of different texts.

english lit - (this is my weakest subject, so again don't take my word completely on this!!), but I say just learn quotes which can be used for multiple characters/themes, so that you don't need to learn as many. And for notes/context on poems and stuff, I highly recommend looking at the resources on physicsandmathstutor. Another technique that I personally have never tried, (but I know many people like doing) is mindmaps for each character/theme.

maths - I think the main thing for maths is just to do as many exam questions/past papers as possible as well as watching walkthroughs of papers on yt if you don't understand a question. Also if you notice you keep getting a specific topic wrong, you can practice it using mathsgenie, corbettmaths, or drfrost (if ur school has given you a login)

science - so I do triple science, so I'm not rlly sure about combined, but the main thing again is once you have learn and fully understood the content, just do past papers/exam q's as questions often tend to be repeated. sececa/cognito is good if you don't understand some of the content. Another way, is learning from the mark scheme , eg for biology you need to be very specific with particular answers, so by lookign at the mark scheme, you will know exactly how to word your answers.

geography - geography is very content heavy, so what I recommend is mindmaps/posters on case studies/fieldwork/key processes. Again doing exam questions is useful, but focus on the long answer essay questions. (I don't rlly have anything else for geo sryy!)

computer science - I think the main thing for cs is just to make sure you understand the key concepts fully and the theory behind it (especially for programming/coding). (again, idk what else really...)

I don't do the other subjects so I can't really give any advice on them.
(also pls excuse all the spelling mistakes lol!!)

Idk if this advice useful, but I hope it helps, even if it's just the slightest!! :smile:

edit: something i forgot to mention is that when your revising make sure you also have the specification handy (especially for science), to ensure your learning everything that you need to know, and not wasting time learning stuff you dont need 😀
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Twistycrayon272

For history i say maybe try out The History Teacher on Youtube since she covers all that you need. I personally can't find more notes on elizabeth online but if you need more resources on the cold war, maybe check out this website: https://www.klshistory.co.uk/gcse-history.html
Hope it helps :biggrin:
Original post by infamous.nugget
Heyy! I'm also in yr 10 and have my mocks, starting form the first Wednesday back... 😶
(I'm not the best at english, so don't take my word fully)
english lang - I think the main thing is just to get yourself familiar with each question and how to structure your answers accordingly. Also something which I have found useful, is to look at grade 9, model answers to see what exactly I need to include to ensure top marks. Just another thing which was recommended to me was just to read a variety of texts in your own time, e.g, newspaper articles, letters etc and to just annotate them, just so you have a broadened knowledge of different texts.
english lit - (this is my weakest subject, so again don't take my word completely on this!!), but I say just learn quotes which can be used for multiple characters/themes, so that you don't need to learn as many. And for notes/context on poems and stuff, I highly recommend looking at the resources on physicsandmathstutor. Another technique that I personally have never tried, (but I know many people like doing) is mindmaps for each character/theme.
maths - I think the main thing for maths is just to do as many exam questions/past papers as possible as well as watching walkthroughs of papers on yt if you don't understand a question. Also if you notice you keep getting a specific topic wrong, you can practice it using mathsgenie, corbettmaths, or drfrost (if ur school has given you a login)
science - so I do triple science, so I'm not rlly sure about combined, but the main thing again is once you have learn and fully understood the content, just do past papers/exam q's as questions often tend to be repeated. sececa/cognito is good if you don't understand some of the content. Another way, is learning from the mark scheme , eg for biology you need to be very specific with particular answers, so by lookign at the mark scheme, you will know exactly how to word your answers.
geography - geography is very content heavy, so what I recommend is mindmaps/posters on case studies/fieldwork/key processes. Again doing exam questions is useful, but focus on the long answer essay questions. (I don't rlly have anything else for geo sryy!)
computer science - I think the main thing for cs is just to make sure you understand the key concepts fully and the theory behind it (especially for programming/coding). (again, idk what else really...)
I don't do the other subjects so I can't really give any advice on them.
(also pls excuse all the spelling mistakes lol!!)
Idk if this advice useful, but I hope it helps, even if it's just the slightest!! :smile:
edit: something i forgot to mention is that when your revising make sure you also have the specification handy (especially for science), to ensure your learning everything that you need to know, and not wasting time learning stuff you dont need 😀

We do most of the same subjects and THANK YOU! I have my mocks in a few weeks so this also helped immensely thank you so much!!

Also do you wanna be moots?!
Original post by farhiya09
We do most of the same subjects and THANK YOU! I have my mocks in a few weeks so this also helped immensely thank you so much!!
Also do you wanna be moots?!

heyy! your welcome, I'm glad the advice was useful to you too! <3
And yeah sure, why not? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest