The Student Room Group

Work experience for vet med

Okay so I am absolutely 100% sure I want to be a vet and I just want to get some input to be sure that I’m on the right track work experience wise. I’m 15 so most places won’t take me yet but I turn 16 in August. I already have two places set up (one at my dogs vet, the other at a dog shelter) and I plan on staying at both of them for a year minimum, probably longer. I’m not sure how often I’ll be in for yet but I’d assume a couple hours a week at each.

Other than this, I have a year and a bit of voló úñete ring at a charity shop however I’d rather not add that as the manager hated literally all of us, including me, so I feel like it would only harm my application rather than help it. I also have DofE bronze and I’m going to do silver in sixth year.

Obviously I have to get experience with other animals as well but that should be easy enough because there are like 5 farms within walking distance from me and horse stables, but I think I’ll wait until late fifth year/early sixth year for that. I don’t want to do too much and risk my grades dropping so I was planning on keeping it at that for now but could someone please tell me if I’m doing okay so far?

(P.S. I’m going to go to a Scottish university ((hopefully)) so I don’t know if that changes anything)
Whilst you wait for the age barrier to drop, medic mentor has a virtual vet work experience programme (it’s one day a month for 6 months and previous sessions are rerun). Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Sounds like you’re doing great! Something to bear in mind is that some schools only take into account experience acquired max 18 months before you apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending