The Student Room Group

Oxford or Johns Hopkins for Biology

Hello,

I'm rly grateful to have received offers from both Oxford and JHU for Biology but I'm having a hard time deciding between them, mostly because I'm not yet sure what kind of career path I want to pursue. I've applied to Biology at uni but I am now considering going into finance/consulting, however I still think it's possible that I'd want to go into pharma/biotech later.

I'm an international student but have been studying in the UK for the past 5 years, and I definitely feel very comfortable with British culture. I've visited Oxford and done a lot of research and I think I would really enjoy Oxford, in addition to the fact that I've heard that its 'prestige' might help with breaking into finance.

However, another part of me is considering going to the US, as there are just so many biotech opportunities + I think it would be cool to experience a totally different culture. The undergrad experience in the US also sounds like a lot of fun, plus there's an added benefit of flexibility in choosing a major eg if I would want to do something more finance related.

Any advice at all would be massively appreciated!
If you are looking to do finance, Oxford is your best bet as it is a target school and would definitely get you an interview at Goldman, JPM etc. However, if you want to continue doing research I would advice JHU, USA is definitely much better in that aspect but JHU is also more expensive. imo I think Oxford would suit you better as you will get a chance for securing a spot in a bank with that name, JHU not so much, JHU is a semi-target.
Original post by hanamitsu
If you are looking to do finance, Oxford is your best bet as it is a target school and would definitely get you an interview at Goldman, JPM etc. However, if you want to continue doing research I would advice JHU, USA is definitely much better in that aspect but JHU is also more expensive. imo I think Oxford would suit you better as you will get a chance for securing a spot in a bank with that name, JHU not so much, JHU is a semi-target.

Thank you so much for the reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending