The Student Room Group

Separated parents

I have really struggled with the finance forms.

My parents are separated and getting a divorce. They currently live in the same home because they can't afford not to.

I would like to put down that my mum is sponsoring me, but somehow the automated forms have selected my dad.

How do I fix this? Is there someone I can write to?
Hi there. You can write a cover letter explaining that you want to use your mother instead, and she can provide her details using a PFF2 form which you can upload to your online account. If they are separated, then evidence will be needed to show this if you are only wanting to use one parent.

For the marital status. The standard evidence would be one of the following;

Council tax bill with 25% single person discount
Decree Nisi or a Conditional Order
Civil Partnership Conditional Order
Solicitors letter that confirms current marital status/separation
A Signed Affidavit - a sworn declaration made in writing describing facts that they wish to state as true. Typically made under oath and signed then stamped by a Solicitor
Statutory declaration - Normally drafted by a Solicitor who is usually a Notary Public or drafted by a Legal Executive authorised to administer Oaths. Alternatively, the declaration can be made before a Magistrate (also known as a Justice of the Peace) or some Magistrates Clerks at a Magistrates Court

Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply