The Student Room Group

Physics with Astrophysics- what to research

Hi, everyone, just picking the brains of uni students here. If all goes well I’ll be studying physics with astrophysics at Leicester next year. I just wondered what to research over the summer to really improve my knowledge and prepare
Reply 1
Practise some Python
Original post by GraveDohl
Hi, everyone, just picking the brains of uni students here. If all goes well I’ll be studying physics with astrophysics at Leicester next year. I just wondered what to research over the summer to really improve my knowledge and prepare

Hiya,

I'm a current 3rd year astrophysics and cosmology student at Lancaster Uni and if you're wanting to do a bit of prep for first year, I'd highly recommend having a look at the course outline specific to your uni online, seeing where you might not feel as comfortable or may require a bit more prior knowledge to do well in that module. However, please do not feel it is necessary! Modules in first year are structured so students from various teaching backgrounds can all achieve well, so they tend to start off relatively basic, covering topics done in GCSE and A-Level and then build upon that.

Something I would have benefitted well from was continuing to practice maths skills like differentiation and integration as those are skills that are always required in multiple modules and gaining more practice in that lets you feel more confident in every other module.

Another skill (as mentioned by another response) is Python. I highly recommend having a look and exploring this coding language as Lancaster do Python-specific modules within its course and as someone who lacks a coding background, trying it out beforehand is a great idea. Have a look if Leicester do any coding and just start to get to grips with that coding language if you're looking to prepare for your first year.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
-- Arya (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending