The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

can any people who are studying at exeter's penryn campus please answer this?

i really need some firsthand advice about the inclusion/friendliness of people at exeter. they have the perfect course for me (marine science), and i'm apprehensive about the uni's reputation for having a 'posh' attitude as i might not fit in that
Hi! I'm currently doing a masters at the Penryn campus but also did my undergrad there and from my experience, the campus is very inclusive and friendly! I'm from a low income background and while some people there are from higher income backgrounds, I've never had the problem of feeling left out or anything like that, many people from these backgrounds are my closest friends. There's a good mix of people from all sorts of backgrounds so I definitely feel like it shouldn't be a reason to stop you doing a course you really want to do!

Penryn Campus is a great campus that's got a great community feel and is shared by both Exeter and Falmouth Universities which means you get loads of different types of people going there! - Alicia, University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by varsh_xx
i really need some firsthand advice about the inclusion/friendliness of people at exeter. they have the perfect course for me (marine science), and i'm apprehensive about the uni's reputation for having a 'posh' attitude as i might not fit in that
I am doing BSc Zoology at Exeter, Penryn Campus, so am studying in the same department you might be in!
I have never met anyone who comes across as having a ‘posh’ attitude, which may have something to do with our campus being separate to the rest of the University. The campus is also shared with Falmouth University Students which brings a different perspective.
Almost everyone in the Biosciences department is very friendly (there’s inevitably going to be some people who have certain attitudes with people coming from all over) and you will definitely be able to find people you get on with at societies and events.

I’m glad you have found a course you are excited about, and, I might be biased, but the Biosciences Degrees here are really good!
Reply 3
Original post by 16hdennis
I am doing BSc Zoology at Exeter, Penryn Campus, so am studying in the same department you might be in!
I have never met anyone who comes across as having a ‘posh’ attitude, which may have something to do with our campus being separate to the rest of the University. The campus is also shared with Falmouth University Students which brings a different perspective.
Almost everyone in the Biosciences department is very friendly (there’s inevitably going to be some people who have certain attitudes with people coming from all over) and you will definitely be able to find people you get on with at societies and events.
I’m glad you have found a course you are excited about, and, I might be biased, but the Biosciences Degrees here are really good!

thank you so much! that makes me feel more confident about choosing exeter :smile:)
I didnt study there but had two friends that did. I gather the Cornwall campus is essentially completely different to the main campus and the two people i know who went there, both fairly down to earth people, seemed to have a great time socially. The reputation for upper middle class "posh" types is regarding the Streatham (and maybe St lukes) campus. Remember the Cornwall campus is wholly separate and doesn't have overlap in student body or faculty with the main campus.
Original post by artful_lounger
I didnt study there but had two friends that did. I gather the Cornwall campus is essentially completely different to the main campus and the two people i know who went there, both fairly down to earth people, seemed to have a great time socially. The reputation for upper middle class "posh" types is regarding the Streatham (and maybe St lukes) campus. Remember the Cornwall campus is wholly separate and doesn't have overlap in student body or faculty with the main campus.

The Streatham campus is not posh - lots of working class people from comps these days. How long ago were you there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending