The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Undergraduate Politics and IR 2024

Hi guys , I’m on the excel form for 2024 admissions and I rarely see any Politics and IR bsc ?? Like I thought we were so many but all I see is a bunch of rejections . I didn’t receive any reply from LSE , are some people in the same situation rn ?

Scroll to see replies

hey, same situation but with Politics (without IR)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by DianaGabrielaT
hey, same situation but with Politics (without IR)

what are your GCSE and a level stats?
Original post by Anonymous
what are your GCSE and a level stats?

A Level A*(history) A(econ) A(lit) , you?
Original post by Adelechatelard30
Hi guys , I’m on the excel form for 2024 admissions and I rarely see any Politics and IR bsc ?? Like I thought we were so many but all I see is a bunch of rejections . I didn’t receive any reply from LSE , are some people in the same situation rn ?

In the same position as you, as an early applicant it is extremely frustrating to have little (no) correspondence from LSE for well over half a year; I haven’t been put on a waiting list, haven’t been rejected, just been told , in October mind you, “Our application team is reviewing your application”. Apart from the obvious personal issues that a complete lack of communication can cause, i.e Anxiety, stress etc… there’s also a huge issue which lays in the fact that, people are firming choices now- I can’t, because I don’t have a decision from LSE! Furthermore, people are choosing accommodation, I can’t! People are applying for Student finance, I can’t! People are forming relationships with potential undergrads, I can’t! The extreme inefficiency from LSE causes wide ranging issues for undergraduate applicants, and as such being a Pol+IR to LSE applicant (And any applicant to LSE for that matter) is not an enviable position to be in.

An important aspect to this lamentation I hold is not holding this against the staff themselves- they are overworked and underpaid in poor working conditions. It is far more plausible that this stand-still gridlock is caused by a prioritisation of international students (please see the recent scandal involving top-level unis giving an “easier route” to international students due to the higher fees that they can charge), or, anachronistic bureaucracies which prevent staff from making an actually fast decision.

If these causes of slow decision making hold to be true: Negative externalities are going to be found by both international students and staff. International students, by no fault of their own will face discrimination from disgruntled (and probably racist) undergraduates for not being able to get into LSE- please see the 2024 undergraduate spreadsheet and the rejected applicant expresses his frustrations through heinous comments on the race of students found at an open day. Secondly, staff will be blamed by less cerebral students for the sluggish pace of their application, one doesn’t have to look intensely to find students expressing their alienation through less-than-savoury comments about those working in the applicants office.

So, by giving home applicants such little correspondence about the nature of their application, LSE:

Causes great psychological anguish through alienation of applicants.

Causes interpersonal issues through a lack of ability to build relationship networks with potential undergraduates.

Causes monetary and “Future-anxiety” through giving applicants a lack of closure on their application.

Stokes xenophobic sentiment to international students.

Wrongly shifts blames those who work in the application sector for the molasses-like movement of applications.

Now, although my speculation for the reasons of a slow application process are just that- speculation: It is clear to see what the consequences of the reprehensibly tardy applications process are.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by TomSight
In the same position as you, as an early applicant it is extremely frustrating to have little (no) correspondence from LSE for well over half a year; I haven’t been put on a waiting list, haven’t been rejected, just been told , in October mind you, “Our application team is reviewing your application”. Apart from the obvious personal issues that a complete lack of communication can cause, i.e Anxiety, stress etc… there’s also a huge issue which lays in the fact that, people are firming choices now- I can’t, because I don’t have a decision from LSE! Furthermore, people are choosing accommodation, I can’t! People are applying for Student finance, I can’t! People are forming relationships with potential undergrads, I can’t! The extreme inefficiency from LSE causes wide ranging issues for undergraduate applicants, and as such being a Pol+IR to LSE applicant (And any applicant to LSE for that matter) is not an enviable position to be in.
An important aspect to this lamentation I hold is not holding this against the staff themselves- they are overworked and underpaid in poor working conditions. It is far more plausible that this stand-still gridlock is caused by a prioritisation of international students (please see the recent scandal involving top-level unis giving an “easier route” to international students due to the higher fees that they can charge), or, anachronistic bureaucracies which prevent staff from making an actually fast decision.
If these causes of slow decision making hold to be true: Negative externalities are going to be found by both international students and staff. International students, by no fault of their own will face discrimination from disgruntled (and probably racist) undergraduates for not being able to get into LSE- please see the 2024 undergraduate spreadsheet and the rejected applicant expresses his frustrations through heinous comments on the race of students found at an open day. Secondly, staff will be blamed by less cerebral students for the sluggish pace of their application, one doesn’t have to look intensely to find students expressing their alienation through less-than-savoury comments about those working in the applicants office.
So, by giving home applicants such little correspondence about the nature of their application, LSE:

Causes great psychological anguish through alienation of applicants.

Causes interpersonal issues through a lack of ability to build relationship networks with potential undergraduates.

Causes monetary and “Future-anxiety” through giving applicants a lack of closure on their application.

Stokes xenophobic sentiment to international students.

Wrongly shifts blames those who work in the application sector for the molasses-like movement of applications.

Now, although my speculation for the reasons of a slow application process are just that- speculation: It is clear to see what the consequences of the reprehensibly tardy applications process are.

I find it very encouraging to see people express the same frustration I share regarding the time it takes to get back to our applications. Thank you.
However, I was under the impression, as an international applicant, that home students are prioritised thus explaining the amount of time I’ve been waiting for a response. Is that not the case?
I find it very encouraging to see people express the same frustration I share regarding the time it takes to get back to our applications. Thank you.
However, I was under the impression, as an international applicant, that home students are prioritised thus explaining the amount of time I’ve been waiting for a response. Is that not the case?

Well to be quite frank: I don’t really know, the reasons for the responses times are just speculation.

15 Russell group unis were found to give to give lowered uni grades for international students, presumably because there is less (pretty much no) regulation of how much unis can charge for international students- it’s therefore far more profitable to have more international students than home students, leading to a prioritisation of international students. It is very important to note that, LSE wasn’t on these lists, although we can presume that they are equally as “incentivised” to have international students as those 15 unis; there have been more Pol+IR offers being given out to international than home students at this time (see 2024 undergraduate spreadsheet), but, again, I really can’t say; I don’t know everyone who’s been given a Pol+IR offer, and perhaps the spreadsheet is too small of a sample size. Although I don’t personally know anyone who’s received correspondence I wouldn’t be too concerned: According to the 2023 responses, Pol+IR were given out around the 20th April.

Again, I am not saying that LSE is prioritising international students, just guessing based off the information I have at hand, which is deeply flawed.
(edited 1 month ago)
Well to be quite frank: I don’t really know, the reasons for the responses times are just speculation.
15 Russell group unis were found to give to give lowered uni grades for international students, presumably because there is less (pretty much no) regulation of how much unis can charge for international students- it’s therefore far more profitable to have more international students than home students, leading to a prioritisation of international students. It is very important to note that, LSE wasn’t on these lists, although we can presume that they are equally as “incentivised” to have international students as those 15 unis; there have been more Pol+IR offers being given out to international than home students at this time (see 2024 undergraduate spreadsheet), but, again, I really can’t say; I don’t know everyone who’s been given a Pol+IR offer, and perhaps the spreadsheet is too small of a sample size. Although I don’t personally know anyone who’s received correspondence I wouldn’t be too concerned: According to the 2023 responses, Pol+IR were given out around the 20th April.
Again, I am not saying that LSE is prioritising international students, just guessing based off the information I have at hand, which is deeply flawed.

I understand, thanks for the clarification. It’s all terribly frustrating for all of us. Have you received a response?
Hi everyone, no news , I’m freaking out tbh , I literally will have no time to find some sort of accommodation, this feels awful.
I mean I know politics and ir or only politics are quite the hardest bsc to get in but it just takes sooooo long when I already achieved my grades this is honestly shocking and quite off putting to know nothing atp 🤯
I understand, thanks for the clarification. It’s all terribly frustrating for all of us. Have you received a response?

Yes. Was just rejected, best of luck- going to and revise for a few hours to allow myself to cry in a corner. Xx
Yes. Was just rejected, best of luck- going to and revise for a few hours to allow myself to cry in a corner. Xx

Hi , I just saw your comments and I’m so sorry for you i feel like I’m gonna get rejected myself 😕 have they given you any kind of explanation on the rejection part ? Many say that they don’t even take time to explain their decision
Hi , I just saw your comments and I’m so sorry for you i feel like I’m gonna get rejected myself 😕 have they given you any kind of explanation on the rejection part ? Many say that they don’t even take time to explain their decision

Nope, just gotten the UCAS notification. Cba anymore 6 months of wait for a notification. Don’t stress- whatever happens happens and you’re gonna thrive anyway.

I’m so sorry, I know it has been terrible to wait so long for a negative response. How are your other choices looking?
I mean I know politics and ir or only politics are quite the hardest bsc to get in but it just takes sooooo long when I already achieved my grades this is honestly shocking and quite off putting to know nothing atp 🤯

same situation, still waiting with grades achieved…
I’m so sorry, I know it has been terrible to wait so long for a negative response. How are your other choices looking?

They’re looking alright.
Still no news here (IR + politics applicant), starting to feel incredibly frustrated. This process and lack of regard doesn't bode well for how the uni will help students through their course, after September start.
Original post by jenkins09
Still no news here (IR + politics applicant), starting to feel incredibly frustrated. This process and lack of regard doesn't bode well for how the uni will help students through their course, after September start.

Yh nothing much for me as well , I saw some Politics getting accepted but no politics and IR so it’s just weird
Yh nothing much for me as well , I saw some Politics getting accepted but no politics and IR so it’s just weird

same with politics, was just refreshing the email
Terrible from LSE. They are leaving a huge amount of people waiting, of whom most will likely be rejected, whilst forcing them to wait to be able to make plans for accom or sfe... terrible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending