The Student Room Group

GCSE Spanish Speaking exam

I’m very confused on the structure of the Spanish speaking exam for AQA exam board
For the general conversation do I choose two themes like theme 2 and theme 3, and then two topics for each theme. Or do I just choose one theme?
So if I choose those two themes, will one theme come up and one theme be random?
And if I choose theme 2 and 3 for conversation, will the role play and photo card be theme 1??
I’m very confused, I’ve emailed my teacher, they haven’t replied but my speaking exam is in 6 days I’ve already memorised my theme 2 question
Please somebody explain the structure of the exam in great detail.
Thank you very much in advance
Original post by Jasmine6789
I’m very confused on the structure of the Spanish speaking exam for AQA exam board
For the general conversation do I choose two themes like theme 2 and theme 3, and then two topics for each theme. Or do I just choose one theme?
So if I choose those two themes, will one theme come up and one theme be random?
And if I choose theme 2 and 3 for conversation, will the role play and photo card be theme 1??
I’m very confused, I’ve emailed my teacher, they haven’t replied but my speaking exam is in 6 days I’ve already memorised my theme 2 question

Hey im doing gcse aqa Spanish as well.
Im pretty sure u only choose 1 theme only and that’s for general convo. Ofc two themes will come in general convo, (but ur teachers should’ve told u that they need to know what theme u want for it.) then in the exam they pick another theme for general convo, that hasn’t been on the photocard.

On the aqa website it says for general convo the theme YOU chose will be the first theme u speak abt in the exam

For what theme u chose for the general convo, eg: theme 2, then theme 1 or 3 could either be photocard or the other general convo theme. Idk about Roleplay tho

Take my words with a grain of salt, I think it would be best if u asked ur teacher in person!! Goodluck
yeah that's definitely right, the roleplay doesn't have a specific theme it's just supposed to ease u in cuz u get marked for communicating ideas mainly so as long as ur able to get ur points across i tend to be as straight to the point as i can!
Before starting u will prepare for 12 minutes (supervised) where u will see your role play and photo card u have to prepare for so u can write down as much as u need to!
First, role play, it's only supposed to take 2 minutes (so yeah keep it brief!!) and it's 15 marks. (In this, u r asked a question you haven't been able to prepare for and also ask a question, which u can formulate in the prep time).
Second, photo card, supposed to be 3 minutes at higher tier (2 at foundation) and it's 15 marks. This will be on either of the other 2 themes you haven't nominated. (in this there will be 2 questions of the 5 which r on the spot).
Last, general conversation, 6 minutes at higher (4 at foundation) and it's 30 marks. The first 3 minutes on the theme you've nominated, the last three on whichever theme hasn't been covered yet over general conversation and role play. You'll be marked on communication, fluency and accuracy
Hope this clears it up!!
Reply 3
Original post by mayarpapayar
Im pretty sure u only choose 1 theme only and that’s for general convo. Ofc two themes will come in general convo, (but ur teachers should’ve told u that they need to know what theme u want for it.) then in the exam they pick another theme for general convo, that hasn’t been on the photocard.
On the aqa website it says for general convo the theme YOU chose will be the first theme u speak abt in the exam
For what theme u chose for the general convo, eg: theme 2, then theme 1 or 3 could either be photocard or the other general convo theme. Idk about Roleplay tho
Take my words with a grain of salt, I think it would be best if u asked ur teacher in person!! Goodluck

Thanks this helped a lot!
Thanks this helped a lot!

Nppp also have you taken your speaking exam yet ? If so, how’d it go!

I am wondering this as-well. It’s very different to Edexcel since I did another language in year 10 and we had 5 themes. With 3 themes I’m confused as to what the photo card and role play will be according to my general conversation. Mine is on Monday 💀💀💀💀

Hey! Thanks for that. What would you say is the best theme to pick. I know that environment is quite difficult so maybe I should do theme 2 to be prepared well for that. But I’m also not sure if theme 1 and 3 are a better pick. This is very last minute since my exam is on Monday and my teacher thinks I want to do theme 1.
Original post by coolAT274
Hey! Thanks for that. What would you say is the best theme to pick. I know that environment is quite difficult so maybe I should do theme 2 to be prepared well for that. But I’m also not sure if theme 1 and 3 are a better pick. This is very last minute since my exam is on Monday and my teacher thinks I want to do theme 1.

I’ve actually chosen theme 2 for mine, and many other of my classmates chose it too
Goodluck on your exam!! You’ll do great
Reply 8
Nppp also have you taken your speaking exam yet ? If so, how’d it go!

It was okay! my random theme, role play and photo card were all on the topics I revised but I didn’t answer a question on the role play because I didn’t have a clue what it meant which is the one thing I’m very worried about, I hope it didn’t cost me too many marks.
It was okay! my random theme, role play and photo card were all on the topics I revised but I didn’t answer a question on the role play because I didn’t have a clue what it meant which is the one thing I’m very worried about, I hope it didn’t cost me too many marks.

Each question is worth 3 marks, so if you did well on the rest it won’t cost you much at all and you can still easily get a high score.

I’m sure that one question wouldn’t drag you down too much, well done!!

what was on them all? im sure you did great! what was the photo card and roleplay
Just did my Spanish speaking and I did absolutely fantastic!! My teacher said I sounded very fluent because I spoke pretty fast and had good pronunciation and I answered about 10 questions for each theme for the conversation. The role play and the picture card were also great!! I tripped up on a surprise question in the role play but I asked them to repeat the question and I understood it and then gave a good answer!
Just did my Spanish speaking and I did absolutely fantastic!! My teacher said I sounded very fluent because I spoke pretty fast and had good pronunciation and I answered about 10 questions for each theme for the conversation. The role play and the picture card were also great!! I tripped up on a surprise question in the role play but I asked them to repeat the question and I understood it and then gave a good answer!

Omggg I’m so happy for you

what did you get!! i’m so interested as my exams tomorrow!
Original post by Anaturek
what was on them all? im sure you did great! what was the photo card and roleplay

Sorry I don’t think I can say, but Thankyou!
Original post by reganwilsonx
what did you get!! i’m so interested as my exams tomorrow!

Well I don’t know my mark of course because the examiner is not allowed to tell you that, but my teacher was very happy and definitely said I would hit high marks, as she said I hardly made any mistakes. In terms of the photo cards and the role play, I would prefer not to say anything about them because it is exam information and you’re not supposed to tell anybody. However, what I can tell you is I think i got extremely lucky with mine, as they were extremely easy, and from looking at past paper sets, it seems there is a mix of difficult and easy ones, and I clearly got a very easy one in honesty. I’m very happy with it and I feel amazing, considering I got a U in my mocks and having never revised Spanish in 3 years, I feel I’ve really persevered.

That’s great well done! Yeah I didn’t understand the surprise question on the role play, I just said ‘no entiendo, Lo siento’ but hopefully that only lost me a few marks, I’m aiming for a 9 in Spanish so that really upset me but I’m hoping I atleast got a 7 so I can do better on my other exams to make up for it. Hope you get the grade you want!
That’s great well done! Yeah I didn’t understand the surprise question on the role play, I just said ‘no entiendo, Lo siento’ but hopefully that only lost me a few marks, I’m aiming for a 9 in Spanish so that really upset me but I’m hoping I atleast got a 7 so I can do better on my other exams to make up for it. Hope you get the grade you want!

Same actually. On one of the surprise questions I was startled and zoned out and said a wrong answer and realised then said lo siento and asked her to repeat and then made a correct answer. These things to be honest you can never prepare for, and with me having already done Edexcel Arabic GCSE last year and got a 9, I feel like unless you’re fluent at a language, it’s gonna take you a lot longer to comprehend a question that you aren’t expecting. Each question is worth 3 marks I believe. It won’t cost you too much. I’d say about 50/60 would get you a 9 but boundaries are variable. It doesn’t really matter if you didn’t do perfect in the speaking, all that matters is that you perform well in your other exams. I could have got a 7 in my listening in Arabic and a 9 in speaking and a 9 in writing and an 8 in reading and it would add up and possibly get a 9 all together!
Same actually. On one of the surprise questions I was startled and zoned out and said a wrong answer and realised then said lo siento and asked her to repeat and then made a correct answer. These things to be honest you can never prepare for, and with me having already done Edexcel Arabic GCSE last year and got a 9, I feel like unless you’re fluent at a language, it’s gonna take you a lot longer to comprehend a question that you aren’t expecting. Each question is worth 3 marks I believe. It won’t cost you too much. I’d say about 50/60 would get you a 9 but boundaries are variable. It doesn’t really matter if you didn’t do perfect in the speaking, all that matters is that you perform well in your other exams. I could have got a 7 in my listening in Arabic and a 9 in speaking and a 9 in writing and an 8 in reading and it would add up and possibly get a 9 all together!

Omg i remember I zoned out kn my french mock 😭😭😭 congrats on ur Arabic gcse btw. I have both my french and Spanish speaking’s in the same week 🌚

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending