The Student Room Group

Where to go! 2024 Uni

Hi! This year, 2024, I have applied to study Languages and international relations at Dundee Uni, Edinburgh Uni, Glasgow Uni and Heriot Watt. I am originally from Edinburgh and love the city! But would also be keen to ‘venture out’ Glasgow I also like, especially the gigs and live theatre, however feel I might get overwhelmed in such a big city and Dundee Uni I like too, the campus is so good however I have concerns about the city itself and worry there isn’t a lot to do as a student! But feel with even just the beach and ‘quieter’ areas may be better. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great! :smile:
Hey! I’m also doing IR at uni (may or may not be with French, undecided) !!! I’m choosing Glasgow because of its good reputation for the course but it also has numerous music venues which is good for gigs (discovered a lot of great smaller artists here too), and so many pubs, clubs, cafes, transport links etc so there is defo a good social life opportunity and Glasgow probably offers the most of any city here. Also, the West End has the art museum, book shops and botanic gardens nearby which offers a quieter, academic and relaxed side at the same time, so it’s not too overwhelming. The only downside is that the city centre can feel quite unsafe at night occasionally and west end is quite expensive, but I guess Edinburgh would be even worse for price of living. It is still quite a jump for me to confidently say I’m right, I live nearby Glasgow but in a really small town so I’ve never actually been accustomed to city life. Would you say there’s any downside to living in a city full time or positives ?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 1000yellowdaisy
Hey! I’m also doing IR at uni (may or may not be with French, undecided) !!! I’m choosing Glasgow because of its good reputation for the course but it also has numerous music venues which is good for gigs (discovered a lot of great smaller artists here too), and so many pubs, clubs, cafes, transport links etc so there is defo a good social life opportunity and Glasgow probably offers the most of any city here. Also, the West End has the art museum, book shops and botanic gardens nearby which offers a quieter, academic and relaxed side at the same time, so it’s not too overwhelming. The only downside is that the city centre can feel quite unsafe at night occasionally and west end is quite expensive, but I guess Edinburgh would be even worse for price of living. It is still quite a jump for me to confidently say I’m right, I live nearby Glasgow but in a really small town so I’ve never actually been accustomed to city life. Would you say there’s any downside to living in a city full time or positives ?

ahh exciting!! I don’t think i’d ever settle down in a busy city however it may be good to experience as a student? you’re right about pubs, clubs, cafes etc which i think would be a good experience for uni. I’m actually from just outside Edinburgh so I haven’t really experienced living properly in a city centre. I’m sure Glasgow being in the west end means it’s slightly quieter (and unfortunately expensive!!) but at least it will give me the option of going in to the centre for a night out and then having quieter nights too. thanks so much!
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest