The Student Room Group

Not entitled to tuition despite only 1 previous year’s worth of tuition.

I never attended my second year, my last attendance was recorded at the end of the first year, and according to my sfe I did not pay tuition for my second year. However, I withdrew (after an initial leave of absence) after receiving the first maintenance loan instalment, and was paid a second instalment by mistake in January.

Despite only paying tuition for the first year, SFE told me on the phone that because I got A student loan (regardless of the type) it counts as 2 years of previous study. Is this true? The logic of it sounds ridiculous; I’m entitled to maintenance for 24/25 but not tuition despite only ever having the latter for one prior year but because I had the former for 1 and 2/3rds of a year.

Furthermore, I initially got an entitlement letter after I initially applied saying I would get paid tuition for 24/25. It was only after I modified the course (after the course I had initially put down got rejected so I changed to one I got and offer from and was going to accept) following this letter that it was recalculated (on the phone the operator said it just must have been spotted in the new calculation when adjusting for the course) and it seems frustrating that I lose out on 9k because I simply modified the course to an application I had already had approved.
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi there,

When you were paid the Maintenance Loan did you return the money to us? Did your university send us a Suspension for Non-Attendance?

Thanks, Drew
Hi jbedford2001,

Yes, if you attend the course at all then we count this as previous study - it is not based on whether we paid a tuition fee loan or not.

Thanks,
Calum
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,
When you were paid the Maintenance Loan did you return the money to us? Did your university send us a Suspension for Non-Attendance?
Thanks, Drew

The university sent notification and have had it confirmed by SFE advisor on the phone that they can see my attendance was suspended due to health reasons. I have also had contact about requesting collection of overpayment as a result. I have not paid this back as of yet, but when I asked how it was impacting me in not being entitled to tuition for 24/25 and if paying it back (or getting it taken off future payments) would in effect cancel it as counting towards a second year of study it sounded like it couldn’t and I would be considered as having 2 years previous study regardless.
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi jbedford2001,
Yes, if you attend the course at all then we count this as previous study - it is not based on whether we paid a tuition fee loan or not.
Thanks,
Calum

I did not attend at all. My last date of attendance at my uni is recorded as 25/6/2021 (end of my first year) and is recorded as such in my SFE letter about notification of withdrawal. From speaking on the phone it seems more to do with being paid the maintenance loan than anything to do with being in attendance (which I was not).
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi there,

As you received the payment for the Maintenance Loan this is classed as a year of funding even if the Tuition Fee Loan was not received. You should have returned the money and had a Suspension for non attendance and this would not have affected your Tuition Fee Loan.

Thanks, Drew
Hi there,
As you received the payment for the Maintenance Loan this is classed as a year of funding even if the Tuition Fee Loan was not received. You should have returned the money and had a Suspension for non attendance and this would not have affected your Tuition Fee Loan.
Thanks, Drew

As mentioned, I have had a “suspension of non-attendance”. Please be clearer when stating how this “would not have affected [my] Tuition Fee Loan”.

Do you mean A) it “would not have affected…[my tuition fee loan that I did not pay in the second year] If so, we have already established that and is neither my enquiry.

If you mean that B) it “would not have affected…[my tuition fee loan for my 24/25 application] in that—had I returned the payment—I would be considered as NOT having 2 years previous study, then this goes against what I have been told on the phone and would like to arrange this to happen. I was instead just referred to applying for CPR when I asked this line of questioning.

Or if you mean that C) it “would not have affected…[my tuition fee loan for my 24/25 application] in that I would be considered as studying for 2 years regardless of this, then thank you for confirming.
Hi there,

If you had suspended for non attendance and had returned the money you were paid in error then it would not have been classed as a year of funding as you did not attend and were not paid money you were not supposed to get.

Thanks, Drew
Hi there,
If you had suspended for non attendance and had returned the money you were paid in error then it would not have been classed as a year of funding as you did not attend and were not paid money you were not supposed to get.
Thanks, Drew

Yes, but I did get money I was not supposed to get. It is preventing me from being entitled to tuition for 24/25. How do I change this.
Hi there,

Do you have Compelling Personal Reasons as to why you could not study last year?

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending