The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham or Lincoln for Chemistry

Advice please!
I am an American student coming to the UK to study chemistry. The two universities that I really like are Durham and Lincoln. I like that Lincoln has a forensic chemistry course as an option. I am considering going into toxicology. My main concern about Durham is cost, as it is quite a bit more expensive for international students. When visiting and speaking to others, it seemed that a degree from Lincoln would be less valuable than Durham. If I return to the U.S., this would not be a concern. If I stay in the UK, would I have an easier time finding a job if my degree was from Durham? Is it better to study general chem vs forensic chem? If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
I understand the difference in the schools and Durham’s collegiate system. Just wondering if choosing Lincoln would be a mistake!
Original post by Anonymous
Advice please!
I am an American student coming to the UK to study chemistry. The two universities that I really like are Durham and Lincoln. I like that Lincoln has a forensic chemistry course as an option. I am considering going into toxicology. My main concern about Durham is cost, as it is quite a bit more expensive for international students. When visiting and speaking to others, it seemed that a degree from Lincoln would be less valuable than Durham. If I return to the U.S., this would not be a concern. If I stay in the UK, would I have an easier time finding a job if my degree was from Durham? Is it better to study general chem vs forensic chem? If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
I understand the difference in the schools and Durham’s collegiate system. Just wondering if choosing Lincoln would be a mistake!

Hiya!

While I can't speak on your course and what its life or prospects at Lincoln, I can give a bit on insight into Durham as a whole from the perspective of an international student. While it is unfortunately true that it does get quite expensive for international students, there are ways and opportunities in Durham that can assist you with finances and budgeting like student discounts (student beans, UniDays, TooGoodToGo, etc) and many of the local shops and cafes offer discounts. Durham also as many opportunities to flexibly work part time at the University like Open Day ambassadors, Durham Student Ambassadors, Bar Staff, Student Union and part time jobs with the Durham student team 🙂 All these jobs are all incredibly flexible and work with your academic commitments as well as help you earn a bit of cash on the side.

In terms of career prospects at Durham, we are quite opportunistic. Durham University has a dedicated and amazing Careers & Enterprises team that supports students with their career prospects like helping students land part-time jobs, work experience and internships as well as support with CV writing, Job interviews, Career advice, etc! The careers team also supports students applying for graduate jobs in many different ways, and connects them with the alumni community (They helped me land my placement! 😆). The career prospects at Durham are truly amazing and the team works above and beyond to support students as much as they can.
Careers & Enterprise Website
I hope this can help in someway and Goodluck!

-Ghala
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Advice please!

Lincoln requires you to only do two a levels, that is pretty much the absolute bare minimum an 18 year old can do after graduating from our version of High school. Durham Requires A*AA, which are pretty damn hard to achieve. I really think that says a lot regarding prestige and who an employer would rather have.

Why not just stay in the USA? Salaries for the sciences are way lower here, although COL is lower asw. Also have heard its pretty hard to find anything but basic lab work with just a chemistry undergrad. Way too many people major in it so supply is far higher than demand, and then imagine being a Lincoln graduates having to compete with Oxbridge, Imperial, Durham, Warwick, UCL, St Andrews etc. graduates.

Lincoln Fees are a little under 2/3 of Durham's international fees asw.

Honestly, Chemistry is already an oversaturated field with **** poor salaries, either do it at a top uni or just don't do it at all. Also if you have the capability to get into durham i'm sure you could get into a uni in the states which could possibly be a bit cheaper.

Just put yourself in the position of a hiring manager at a Forensic lab. For one job you have a 100 applications, you see someone with a Chem degree from Durham and then a Degree from Lincoln. Who are you choosing?

People will say uni doesn't matter, if your field is in demand like CS then yes, employers don't care about where you're from. But a field like Chemistry which has 1000s of new graduates in this country alone looking for jobs do you really think a uni like Lincoln would make you stand out positively?

Sorry for being really negative here, but there are people with PHDs from Oxford who struggle to get work in chemistry. Just find a more employable course or just firm the crazy international fees Durham charges.

Final decision is up to you, ofc.
Advice please!

I doubt going to Lincoln would be a mistake, it is still a good University, its just an up and coming one. Rankings are only as good as they are each year. If affordability is your priority id recommend Lincoln.
The University is extremely student focused, and its working very hard to improve its facilities and overall image as a newer university.
Don’t knock it in comparison to Durham, get a first or 2:1 at either university and thats still extremely valuable
Lincoln requires you to only do two a levels, that is pretty much the absolute bare minimum an 18 year old can do after graduating from our version of High school. Durham Requires A*AA, which are pretty damn hard to achieve. I really think that says a lot regarding prestige and who an employer would rather have.
Why not just stay in the USA? Salaries for the sciences are way lower here, although COL is lower asw. Also have heard its pretty hard to find anything but basic lab work with just a chemistry undergrad. Way too many people major in it so supply is far higher than demand, and then imagine being a Lincoln graduates having to compete with Oxbridge, Imperial, Durham, Warwick, UCL, St Andrews etc. graduates.
Lincoln Fees are a little under 2/3 of Durham's international fees asw.
Honestly, Chemistry is already an oversaturated field with **** poor salaries, either do it at a top uni or just don't do it at all. Also if you have the capability to get into durham i'm sure you could get into a uni in the states which could possibly be a bit cheaper.
Just put yourself in the position of a hiring manager at a Forensic lab. For one job you have a 100 applications, you see someone with a Chem degree from Durham and then a Degree from Lincoln. Who are you choosing?
People will say uni doesn't matter, if your field is in demand like CS then yes, employers don't care about where you're from. But a field like Chemistry which has 1000s of new graduates in this country alone looking for jobs do you really think a uni like Lincoln would make you stand out positively?
Sorry for being really negative here, but there are people with PHDs from Oxford who struggle to get work in chemistry. Just find a more employable course or just firm the crazy international fees Durham charges.
Final decision is up to you, ofc.

I think you are extremely exaggerating the difference choosing Durham over Lincoln will make. Still a difficult career to step into, but you are really being misleading with saying choosing Lincoln will significantly harm their chances, in the long run it will not make a difference
I think you are extremely exaggerating the difference choosing Durham over Lincoln will make. Still a difficult career to step into, but you are really being misleading with saying choosing Lincoln will significantly harm their chances, in the long run it will not make a difference

Durham is widely regarded as one of the best chem programs in the country, Lincoln requires BCC. Not saying you can't be successful going to Lincoln but what I am saying is that your chances of being successful in what is pretty much a dead industry in most of the world including the UK is far greater when you have received your undergraduate education from Durham rather than Lincoln.
Durham is widely regarded as one of the best chem programs in the country, Lincoln requires BCC. Not saying you can't be successful going to Lincoln but what I am saying is that your chances of being successful in what is pretty much a dead industry in most of the world including the UK is far greater when you have received your undergraduate education from Durham rather than Lincoln.

Is chemistry a dead industry??
Is chemistry a dead industry??

At a Bachelors level, pretty much
Masters level less so
phd level even less so

https://www.reddit.com/r/chemistry/comments/14e1aif/is_a_chemistry_degree_worth_it/
check this out gain the insight of lots of people

https://www.reddit.com/r/chemistry/comments/psgbvf/to_those_who_graduated_w_a_bachelors_degree_in/
more uk based

Just avoid S and M parts of STEM if you want a pretty solid chance of getting a good industry job in the thing you studied in.

if you really want to work with chemicals just do a chem eng degree very employable, much better pay.

Are you a chemist yourself? Describing it as a 'dead industry' is possibly a bit harsh. It is true salaries may not be as high as in Computer Science but there are not many degrees which are at present! Additionally people who tend to go into chemistry do not necessarily do it for the money, it can be a very rewarding career if you wish to spend your career partly in a practical setting rather than mainly desk-based. Back on track, Durham will probably offer better prospects and they do the Year in Industry in the final year of the MChem, which may help greatly with a full-time position as there may be opportunities to stay on with the same employer at the end of the placement since you don't have to return to uni for another year.

Quick Reply

Latest