The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Accom recs for an exchange student!

Hi everyone!

This week I got accepted into Leeds as an incoming international exchange student. I'm really excited as the most I've seen about the UK is Shoreditch lol. Anyways, I have a few options regarding residencies, given that as an international exchange student I'm guaranteed a spot in one of them. Commute isn't really that big of an issue, so keep that in mind while reviewing my choices, but I really do care about the aesthetics of the place. I come from Latin America, and would love to get the classic "Victorian" experience.

1) Ellerslie Global Residence: The "International" accomodation. This is both a plus and a con. Plus: I get to relate to other international people, maybe even those that speak my mother tongue. Great! Also, Catered. I've never lived outside of home and I'm concered that my **** cooking skills will either drive me poor or malnourished. Con: I'm doing an exchange for a reason. I want to meet English people and hopefully start growing some roots in this country. Also that price! Yikes!

2) Lyddon Hall: Advertised as "The Victorian One". Appealing for obvious reasons. I don't play the piano yet love the idea of there being one. Once again, the price is ridiculous, but it's catered so...

3) James Baillie Park: Another catered option, and all the rooms come with a double bed!! Sweet! This one, however, is self catered.

4) North Hill Court: The cheapest of my options and, if I'm lucky, I might get a balcony room. I'm an occasional smoker, so that would be really nice. Draws: It's self catered and there's only a shared bathroom option.

That's it! Let me know which one you would recommend if you have or haven't attended Leeds :smile:
Have a look at devonshire hall!!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Oh dear god I just took a look at it and I love it!!! Did you ever stay there? If so, what was your experience like?
Original post by chamisquillas
Oh dear god I just took a look at it and I love it!!! Did you ever stay there? If so, what was your experience like?

No I haven't stayed there before ahaha, i'm also planning on going leeds this year !! I was just having a look around on the accomodation website and thought devonshire hall might be to your taste ! What course are you going for ?
Original post by lilypod244
No I haven't stayed there before ahaha, i'm also planning on going leeds this year !! I was just having a look around on the accomodation website and thought devonshire hall might be to your taste ! What course are you going for ?

Since I'm an exchange student I just have to pick a parent faculty. I chose Music! I'm not a musician (I'm actually studying to be a journalist back in my home country), but I adore their courses on music and culture. (The only one that comes to mind rn is Music in Context 1 ajajajajajja)
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by chamisquillas
Hi everyone!
This week I got accepted into Leeds as an incoming international exchange student. I'm really excited as the most I've seen about the UK is Shoreditch lol. Anyways, I have a few options regarding residencies, given that as an international exchange student I'm guaranteed a spot in one of them. Commute isn't really that big of an issue, so keep that in mind while reviewing my choices, but I really do care about the aesthetics of the place. I come from Latin America, and would love to get the classic "Victorian" experience.
1) Ellerslie Global Residence: The "International" accomodation. This is both a plus and a con. Plus: I get to relate to other international people, maybe even those that speak my mother tongue. Great! Also, Catered. I've never lived outside of home and I'm concered that my **** cooking skills will either drive me poor or malnourished. Con: I'm doing an exchange for a reason. I want to meet English people and hopefully start growing some roots in this country. Also that price! Yikes!
2) Lyddon Hall: Advertised as "The Victorian One". Appealing for obvious reasons. I don't play the piano yet love the idea of there being one. Once again, the price is ridiculous, but it's catered so...
3) James Baillie Park: Another catered option, and all the rooms come with a double bed!! Sweet! This one, however, is self catered.
4) North Hill Court: The cheapest of my options and, if I'm lucky, I might get a balcony room. I'm an occasional smoker, so that would be really nice. Draws: It's self catered and there's only a shared bathroom option.
That's it! Let me know which one you would recommend if you have or haven't attended Leeds :smile:

Hey I’m selling my room for 2024/2025. It was newly built a year ago and it’s an en-suite in a modern accomodation. If you were interested I could give you my socials to message on, as this accomodation is quite close the city centre and all the universities

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending