The Student Room Group

Applying from pharmacy to a medicine course

I'm an international student and I've been offered a place to study at Pharmacy courses in September, 2024. I have a change in my mind and I wish to study medicine. I have some inquiries on applications:

1. Do universities at UK accept reasons to defer entry such as doing A-levels? I didn't apply with A level scores to pharmacy schools. Btw, I will be returning to my home country for A levels for approximately a year.

2. If I do defer my entry to pharmacy courses at the university until September 2025 and apply to medicine course at the same university at October, 2024 for an entry in September, 2025, is my new application likely to be considered?

Thanks for your helpp
(edited 1 month ago)
You cannot 'keep' your Pharmacy place and reapply for Medicine. You would need to cancel your entire application for 2024 entry and make a fresh application in September for Medicine fir 2025 entry.

Unis will not care that you have changed your mind and are now applying for a different subject.
And you can still reapply for a Pharmacy course as your 5th choice.

Useful Applying for Medical School - Online Course - FutureLearn
and Healthcare Professional: Online Work Related Learning - FutureLearn
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it very much.

I just have one more quick question..

Does cancelling my entire application for 2024 entry mean that I will have to reject all my pharmacy school offers? Is it possible to I keep my place for a pharmacy place for Sept 2025 entry and apply to a medicine course in a different university for Sept 2025 entry?

I just thinking that it’ll be nice to have a backup in case I get four rejections *
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
You cannot 'keep' your Pharmacy place and reapply for Medicine. You would need to cancel your entire application for 2024 entry and make a fresh application in September for Medicine fir 2025 entry.
Unis will not care that you have changed your mind and are now applying for a different subject.
And you can still reapply for a Pharmacy course as your 5th choice.
Useful Applying for Medical School - Online Course - FutureLearn
and Healthcare Professional: Online Work Related Learning - FutureLearn

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it very much.I just have one more quick question..Does cancelling my entire application for 2024 entrymean that I will have to reject all my pharmacy schooloffers? Is it possible to I keep my place for apharmacy place for Sept 2025 entry and apply to amedicine course in a different university for Sept 2025entry? I just thinking that it’ll be nice to have a backup incase I get four rejections *
Original post by rena.k
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it very much.
I just have one more quick question..
Does cancelling my entire application for 2024 entry mean that I will have to reject all my pharmacy school offers? Is it possible to I keep my place for a pharmacy place for Sept 2025 entry and apply to a medicine course in a different university for Sept 2025 entry?
I just thinking that it’ll be nice to have a backup in case I get four rejections *

This was answered above. You cannot hold a deferred place and apply again in the next cycle.

NB. You can't defer an offer, only a confirmed place. So you'd only be losing 1 secured place, not 4 offers, by doing this.

You choose a firm an insurance offer > the other two offers are rejected automatically
If your firm accepts you on results day > your insurance offer is removed automatically
If your firm rejects you on results day then you might be accepted by your insurance choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending