The Student Room Group

is this a good mix of alevels

computer science, geography, maths (maybe further maths but im still thinking about it)

im just asking cuz it seems pretty random but i wanted to keep my options open for a degree in computer science or geology because i know im pretty fickle with this stuff. would it bother universities or do they not care about this stuff?
Reply 1
Original post by shocked-general
computer science, geography, maths (maybe further maths but im still thinking about it)
im just asking cuz it seems pretty random but i wanted to keep my options open for a degree in computer science or geology because i know im pretty fickle with this stuff. would it bother universities or do they not care about this stuff?

Hi there!

This is absolutely fine if not perfect considering the degrees you may want to do in the future. You have computer science for the computer science degree and geography for the geology degree. The two maths A-levels are double bonuses as Universities love applicants that have studied A-level maths. Plus that will help in both of the degrees. :smile:
Original post by Zjzc
Hi there!
This is absolutely fine if not perfect considering the degrees you may want to do in the future. You have computer science for the computer science degree and geography for the geology degree. The two maths A-levels are double bonuses as Universities love applicants that have studied A-level maths. Plus that will help in both of the degrees. :smile:

What Zjzc said 👍
Not being negative here but if you want study Cs in top uni (oxbridge) then they would prefer you to do maths, fmaths, computer science or physics. As they are the preferred subjects for doing computer science, but idk about geology.
Reply 4
Original post by Winni2pool
Not being negative here but if you want study Cs in top uni (oxbridge) then they would prefer you to do maths, fmaths, computer science or physics. As they are the preferred subjects for doing computer science, but idk about geology.

Nowhere does it say you need physics:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/computer-science
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/computer-science-ba-hons-meng

It is true that many applicants do have physics though, but it is not a must.
Original post by mesub
Nowhere does it say you need physics:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/computer-science
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/computer-science-ba-hons-meng
It is true that many applicants do have physics though, but it is not a must.

I didn't say it is a must 😑, i said they *prefer*
Original post by shocked-general

Hi!

These seem great!

For computer science, the main one is maths which you have covered and of course computer science is recommended and a bonus. Some universities will even give you lower entry requirement grades if you have computer science as well as maths.

For geology, I'm less familiar with this, but after some research, it seems generally that they want 2 relevant subjects from a list. This general list seems to include many things including geography maths and computer science. So you've got that one down as well.

I think these choices will be great for keeping your options open for the two. As others have said further maths is looked highly at however that is because it is very hard. In my opinion, a high maths grade is better than a low maths and further maths grade so I'd recommend looking at the content and seeing how you feel about doing both 🙂

I hope this helps! At the end of the day just choose what you think you'll enjoy more. You're going to have to be studying these subjects for two years so liking what you choose is essential and generally leads to higher grades!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending