The Student Room Group

More tired after drinking coffee / energy drinks

Why does this happen to me? Is there any way I can increase my energy levels as some days I feel so tired even after getting good amounts of sleep (7 / 8 hours) and as a med student I need my energy 😭
I have the exact same problem and I’ve found that eating healthy ( fruits, vegetables and smoothies) helps and so does exercise. when I feel tired it wakes me up and releases hormones, I believe. Everyone is different but give it a try and let me know how it goes.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I have the exact same problem and I’ve found that eating healthy ( fruits, vegetables and smoothies) helps and so does exercise. when I feel tired it wakes me up and releases hormones, I believe. Everyone is different but give it a try and let me know how it goes.

I do find that smoothies help, I’ll try this - thank you so much!!
As a medical student, surely you know to see a doctor about this in the first instance? Have you had your bloods checked recently?
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
As a medical student, surely you know to see a doctor about this in the first instance? Have you had your bloods checked recently?

i have. my gp said this happens to some people and that it’s not something to be worried about. just wanted to see if anyone else experiences the same thing as I do.
Reply 5
that's quite common with people with adhd! [idk if there's been any studies btw, this is just anecdotal :smile:]
Caffeine blocks the adenosine receptor so to prevent an afternoon crash after having coffee or energy drinks you should avoid caffeine consumption until around an hour or two after waking up which will allow the adenosine to clear naturally during the morning.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Why does this happen to me? Is there any way I can increase my energy levels as some days I feel so tired even after getting good amounts of sleep (7 / 8 hours) and as a med student I need my energy 😭

I thought it was common knowledge that energy drinks aren't healthy due to caffeine and sugar highs. Read this:

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-faqs/why-does-coffee-make-me-tired

Smoothies aren't the answer, either, as they can contain a lot of sugar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending