The Student Room Group

mock grades vs real grades

i was wondering if anyone who’s already done their gcse’s could let me know what they got on their mocks vs the real thing ? because i’m stressing thinking im gonna do worse in the actual exams than in mocks 😭
Reply 1
Im from scotland so its Nat 5's that I did a few years back (somewhat equivalent to gcse, maybe a bit below) I usually performed worse on the mock (think I got 2 A's , 4 B's and 2C's) but it gave me a solid base to work from as it got me to see the structure of what the exam would be like. After that just sorta adopt the same mentality and work through as many past papers as you can to get used to the question types and make sure you have all theory and stuff covered. Ended up doing a lot better when I sat the exam, it feels a lot more calmer (just my opinion, not everyone shares that lol) since you know what to expect when you go in.
Original post by lc_007
i was wondering if anyone who’s already done their gcse’s could let me know what they got on their mocks vs the real thing ? because i’m stressing thinking im gonna do worse in the actual exams than in mocks 😭

Your mocks serve several purposes.

One is a check on where you are at the moment

From my point of view, they (more importantly) let you practice taking an exam and understand the stress and pressure. In reality, the benefit I see from mocks is the realisation that “exam technique” is a real thing.

I.e. I would expect you to do BETTER in the real exams than on the mocks as you should learn from what happens in the mocks.

I.e don’t panic, read through the exam paper at Lear one, if not twice, before putting pen to paper, work out which questions you can do best at, tell your brain to think about the other questions in the background while you answer the first (and easiest) question to build you confidence, learn to allocate and keep to time per question etc.

Like I say,if you learn from the experience, I would expect your marks not increase NOT decrease

Hope that helps
Reply 3
Original post by lc_007

Did mine last year, not gonna disclose grades themselves, but I improved by 0.5 grades on average over my 12 GCSE's (with quite a lot of revision). So do expect yourself to get a better grip of topics with time it's natural, but don't be too confident in this and make sure you give a lot to studying for your exams! Best of luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending