The Student Room Group

Re: revision methods

I'm making Quizlet sets to revise for GCSES next year, and I'm wondering if I'm doing it right. For sciences and english I'm using PMT flashcards and putting them through Quizlet magic notes to make sets. For maths I'm just practicing because there's not much else I can do. For RT, history and DT I'm just making my own sets.Should this be effective enough?
Original post by student749
I'm making Quizlet sets to revise for GCSES next year, and I'm wondering if I'm doing it right. For sciences and english I'm using PMT flashcards and putting them through Quizlet magic notes to make sets. For maths I'm just practicing because there's not much else I can do. For RT, history and DT I'm just making my own sets.Should this be effective enough?

Have you looked at specific software or do you like the pen paper?
How and what you use to revise is different for everyone, meaning that flashcards could be effective enough for you, but could be useless for someone else. As you are currently making flashcards I would guess that they work for you, but now is a good time to test other revision methods, even with a small topic for an hour trying out, e.g. mindmaps, just to see if you feel like that has been an effective hour of revision and if you have retained the knowledge.

You could try using these few examples and more to see if they work for you:

blurting

mindmaps

teaching someone/pretending to teach someone

past papers

Finding what works for you just involves trial and error, but just remember that one technique that works for one subject may not work for another. But it is definitely important to mix it up as it keeps you engaged in that subject. 🙂
Reply 3
Original post by wanga_wanga
Have you looked at specific software or do you like the pen paper?

I prefer Quizlet because it's easier to organise, create, and keep track of
Reply 4
Original post by charliehall45
How and what you use to revise is different for everyone, meaning that flashcards could be effective enough for you, but could be useless for someone else. As you are currently making flashcards I would guess that they work for you, but now is a good time to test other revision methods, even with a small topic for an hour trying out, e.g. mindmaps, just to see if you feel like that has been an effective hour of revision and if you have retained the knowledge.
You could try using these few examples and more to see if they work for you:

blurting

mindmaps

teaching someone/pretending to teach someone

past papers

Finding what works for you just involves trial and error, but just remember that one technique that works for one subject may not work for another. But it is definitely important to mix it up as it keeps you engaged in that subject. 🙂

Thanks! Just was wondering if you thought there may be any issues using magic notes, considering it technically is AI, but is purely condensing content
Original post by student749

I would say flashcards are best for subjects like history and DT (and languages too!).
For me, flashcards don't work as well with the sciences - but everyone’s revision method is different, so I'd say go try different methods and figure out which one works best for you!

Good luck, wish you all the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest