The Student Room Group

Support worker problems during placement

Hi

I am a final year student in Adult Nursing, currently on placement. I would like to know if any other nursing students have had problems with support workers who are bullies? There is a support worker on my unit who appears to be a strong character. I generally stay out of her way,unless we are working together in a bay.

Today, I had been assigned a job by the nurse I was working with. As I was busy with it, this support worker asked me to go do some observations. I informed her that I was busy( not in a rude way and with a smile) and told her that I will help soon as I finished my task. My task took longer than expected. While working past the nurses station I overhead her complaining to the other support workers that I refused to help her. And now the other support workers she was talking to have a bit of an attitude towards me. My first instinct was to have a word with my PA as I do not want her to endanger my placement. But I thought I should ask here first, just in case someone else has handled this situation before. Suggestions welcome please, TIA
Reply 1
Original post by Whistler'sMother
Hi
I am a final year student in Adult Nursing, currently on placement. I would like to know if any other nursing students have had problems with support workers who are bullies? There is a support worker on my unit who appears to be a strong character. I generally stay out of her way,unless we are working together in a bay.
Today, I had been assigned a job by the nurse I was working with. As I was busy with it, this support worker asked me to go do some observations. I informed her that I was busy( not in a rude way and with a smile) and told her that I will help soon as I finished my task. My task took longer than expected. While working past the nurses station I overhead her complaining to the other support workers that I refused to help her. And now the other support workers she was talking to have a bit of an attitude towards me. My first instinct was to have a word with my PA as I do not want her to endanger my placement. But I thought I should ask here first, just in case someone else has handled this situation before. Suggestions welcome please, TIA

Unfortunately bullying is a no go within the NHS as they have policies in place for people who are bullied and harassed on.
You can report it to the hospital management and see what happens.

First thing you do with someone like this is report it to your ward sister or manager ( obviously they might support the person you are reporting as sometimes that happens).

You do unfortunately get the odd one who thinks they are better than you but remember that they are only a HCA and you are training to become a qualified nurse which means you'll be better than them in the near future. Yeah you'll get people like her telling Porky's about others just to make her look better in front of the other qualified nurses.

At the end of the day you have to decide whether to report it to your PA or just let her continue doing those things, without anyone else knowing about staff bullying other staff members then therefore nothing will happen.

I had someone like her constantly kicking and pushing me when passing and I knew there was no point reporting it to senior staff because they believe them over the students, I did happen to take revenge outside of the hospital ( when I was sent back to the same placement in second year) and she did suffer ( i won't say what I did).

NHS registered midwife
Reply 2
Hi

Talk to your assessor, or someone more senior on the ward so that the issue can be dealth with. (I'm a registered nurse and practice assessor. I've seen both sides - I've had to tell HCAs that students will help when they're free to do so and haven't been because they've been doing tasks I've set/I've been teaching them something, and also had to tell students to get up off their backsides and help with basic tasks!)
Thanks @Tracey_W and Emily_B. I think I will have a word with my PA as I do not want her porkies to potentially affect getting signed off on Pebblepad. I can't wait to finish this placement and move on.

I am glad that you got your revenge @Tracey_W , I love happy endings 🤣
Hi

absolutely.
I once had a nursing assistant say "Ive been doing this for 20 years" I replied "that doesnt mean you've been doing it right"

Theres a lot of green eyed stuff and they see you as more vulnerable as you are not employed so some feedback from them is hyper threatening, its not and shouldnt be.

Are you talking about your practice assessor or are you fancy?
Original post by wanga_wanga
absolutely.
I once had a nursing assistant say "Ive been doing this for 20 years" I replied "that doesnt mean you've been doing it right"
Theres a lot of green eyed stuff and they see you as more vulnerable as you are not employed so some feedback from them is hyper threatening, its not and shouldnt be.
Are you talking about your practice assessor or are you fancy?

Thanks for your reply. I have had a word with my PA about that support worker and fired off an email to my Academic Assessor just in case.

Lol yes I am talking about practice assessor
Reply 6
Thanks @Tracey_W and Emily_B. I think I will have a word with my PA as I do not want her porkies to potentially affect getting signed off on Pebblepad. I can't wait to finish this placement and move on.
I am glad that you got your revenge @Tracey_W , I love happy endings 🤣
Was happy to get revenge on the person as can't stand those who bully others.

Hopefully you'll get everything sorted out with your coursework and then look forward to going back to university before your next placement 😔 😔

Quick Reply