The Student Room Group

Should I go ahead with this job despite the fact I intend to leave soon?

I recent got a job at this company, for a sales position. I will be leaving sixth form soon to go to university at the end of September in a different city and intend on leaving the job in the next few months.

The reason why I am taking up the job is that it is more hours than my current job, the pay is good and the commute is a lot easier for me which will save me money whilst I save for university.

The interviewer asked me whether I will be going to university after college which I denied however now I feel bad and do not know whether I should reject the job before starting it and just continue at my current place or do the job and just leave as I planned after a few months.
Original post by bxa_842
I recent got a job at this company, for a sales position. I will be leaving sixth form soon to go to university at the end of September in a different city and intend on leaving the job in the next few months.

The reason why I am taking up the job is that it is more hours than my current job, the pay is good and the commute is a lot easier for me which will save me money whilst I save for university.

The interviewer asked me whether I will be going to university after college which I denied however now I feel bad and do not know whether I should reject the job before starting it and just continue at my current place or do the job and just leave as I planned after a few months.

Suppose the company knew the office was going to close-down permanently by September, but they still needed people to work there between now and then. Would they simply stop hiring people because they "feel bad"? Or would they hire people anyway and then let them go in a few months time?
Original post by bxa_842

Id still go for it. Like you say its a better job for you (e.g. nearer, better pay etc).
If they say anything nearer the time, then you can always say that your plans changed with regards to uni.
Reply 3
There is a bit of a do as you would be done by principle here. You weren’t truthful at interview either. The most wholesome thing to do would be to discuss your change of plans and see if they still want to hire you. I suppose they might. This said, if you decide to just go ahead and resign nearer the time I doubt there is anything they can do. It’s best though not to make a habit of not being honourable
Reply 4
I think you should do the job and leave when you’re starting uni. They will find someone else to replace you in a heartbeat. If they ask just say you changed your mind and decided to go uni last minute. I recently got a customer service job taking inbound calls which I don’t mind because it’s easy and I work from home and choose my own hours. I’ll be working in between term times too. Idk if they’re still hiring if you’re after something you can still do when you move to uni but look on their website it’s called remflexgroup.co.uk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending