The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Politics vs International relations

I have an offer for politics/french at the uni of Glasgow but I am also interested in international relations, both of the courses have the same modules in years 1 and 2 so what is the difference between the two degrees?
Hi, I also have an offer to study politics (/economics) at Glasgow. When I went on the offer holder day they explained IR will have different modules in years 3/4 which focuses more on the relations between different countries/states. However for anyone studying politics you can still take IR modules in 3rd and 4th year as part of the politics course but priority is given to those studying IR. They also said to study IR past 1st/2nd year you must have applied on UCAS (so if you want to change it you should probably contact them) rather than changing at the uni due to high demand. Politics however you can switch to take it at honours.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Caitlinnn.
Hi, I also have an offer to study politics (/economics) at Glasgow. When I went on the offer holder day they explained IR will have different modules in years 3/4 which focuses more on the relations between different countries/states. However for anyone studying politics you can still take IR modules in 3rd and 4th year as part of the politics course but priority is given to those studying IR. They also said to study IR past 1st/2nd year you must have applied on UCAS (so if you want to change it you should probably contact them) rather than changing at the uni due to high demand. Politics however you can switch to take it at honours.

Thank you! I was thinking of changing to IR from French/politics if I go to Glasgow because I don’t know if I want to do the 5 year degree required as part of the French course but I’m waiting on Edinburgh to get back lol
Original post by consulting-cinde
Thank you! I was thinking of changing to IR from French/politics if I go to Glasgow because I don’t know if I want to do the 5 year degree required as part of the French course but I’m waiting on Edinburgh to get back lol
I'm also waiting on Edinburgh lmao they're taking so long to get back!
Original post by consulting-cinde
I have an offer for politics/french at the uni of Glasgow but I am also interested in international relations, both of the courses have the same modules in years 1 and 2 so what is the difference between the two degrees?

im the same, except my problem is that the joint degrees with IR are limited to (I think) 4 subjects. With pol you could end up doing an arts/humanities/lang subject with it as a future joint degree, which maybe just gives more scope to try other things and how you can bring politics into other subject areas. So, I think politics kind of just offers more flexibility in your degree long term. Unless of course, the joint degrees with IR happen to be your thing. Also, politics practically offers international relations modules in 3rd and 4th year, vice versa. So I think it doesn’t matter too much.

Quick Reply