The Student Room Group

UCAS points BTEC Applied Science/Biomedical Science

Does anyone know how much points is a distinction, merit and pass worth?
Original post by ilikefoodxox
Does anyone know how much points is a distinction, merit and pass worth?

Are we talking about three separate BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificates? If so, a distinction is 48 points, a merit is 32 points, and a pass is 16 points.

The UCAS Tariff Calculator is here.
Original post by DataVenia
Are we talking about three separate BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificates? If so, a distinction is 48 points, a merit is 32 points, and a pass is 16 points.
The UCAS Tariff Calculator is here.
Sorry that I didn’t make it clear. I am talking about one Level 3 Biomedical Science/Applied Science
Sorry that I didn’t make it clear. I am talking about one Level 3 Biomedical Science/Applied Science

So you're talking about a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma - equivalent to three A levels? That isn't graded as "distinction, merit and pass", so the question doesn't really make much sense.

The individual units within it are graded that way, but the whole BTEC Extended Diploma receives a three-letter grade, like PPP, DMM, or D*D*D. It's the overall grade which earns UCAS points.
So you're talking about a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma - equivalent to three A levels? That isn't graded as "distinction, merit and pass", so the question doesn't really make much sense.
The individual units within it are graded that way, but the whole BTEC Extended Diploma receives a three-letter grade, like PPP, DMM, or D*D*D. It's the overall grade which earns UCAS points.

What I meant was how much points distinction is worth same with merit and pass.
What I meant was how much points distinction is worth same with merit and pass.

UCAS points? None. It doesn't work that way.

Before we continue, can you please confirm that name of the qualification you're referring to. Not the subject, but the qualification. Is it a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma - equivalent to three A levels?
UCAS points? None. It doesn't work that way.
Before we continue, can you please confirm that name of the qualification you're referring to. Not the subject, but the qualification. Is it a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma - equivalent to three A levels?

Yes it’s a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma.
Yes it’s a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma.

Great. So each unit within that BTEC will earn you points. These are not UCAS points, but are BTEC points. The number of BTEC points varies according to the size of the unit, the grade you get for that unit (pass, merit, or distinction), and - in the case of external units (the ones with exams) - the actual mark you get in the exam.

To work out your overall grade for the BTEC, they add up all the unit points and then convert that to a three-part grade, from PPP to D*D*D*. It is that grade which earns you UCAS points, from 48 for PPP to 168 for D*D*D*.
Great. So each unit within that BTEC will earn you points. These are not UCAS points, but are BTEC points. The number of BTEC points varies according to the size of the unit, the grade you get for that unit (pass, merit, or distinction), and - in the case of external units (the ones with exams) - the actual mark you get in the exam.
To work out your overall grade for the BTEC, they add up all the unit points and then convert that to a three-part grade, from PPP to D*D*D*. It is that grade which earns you UCAS points, from 48 for PPP to 168 for D*D*D*.

Yes sorry, I got it muddle up. I meant the points not ucas points.So far I got 109 BTEC points but I haven’t finished any of my assignment units do you think I can still get a DDD
Yes sorry, I got it muddle up. I meant the points not ucas points.So far I got 109 BTEC points but I haven’t finished any of my assignment units do you think I can still get a DDD

So you're saying that you've achieved 109 points from only external units so far? (External units are the ones with exams, not coursework.) So you haven't finished any internal units so far? (Internal units are the ones with coursework.)

Which external units have you completed? Your BTEC has four of them:

1 Principles and Applications of Science I
3 Science Investigation Skills
5 Principles and Applications of Science II
7 Contemporary Issues in Science

Unit 1 can get you up to 24 points and Units 3, 5 and 7 can get you up to 32 points each. So the maximum points from these four units is 120. There's no way to earn 109 points from just three of these units, so if you "haven’t finished any of my assignment units" then you must have done all four external (exam) units. Is that correct?

To achieve DDD overall you need a total of 216 points. If what you've said is accurate, then you're well on your way to that total, which is certainly attainable.

However, I've never heard of any school or college which teaches all the external (exam) units before any of the internal (coursework) units. So my guess is that this isn't actually what's happened.

It makes things much easier to work out if you list the number of each unit you've done, together with the grade you achieved for each. If you know the mark you obtains for each exam, then that helps too.
So you're saying that you've achieved 109 points from only external units so far? (External units are the ones with exams, not coursework.) So you haven't finished any internal units so far? (Internal units are the ones with coursework.)
Which external units have you completed? Your BTEC has four of them:
1 Principles and Applications of Science I
3 Science Investigation Skills
5 Principles and Applications of Science II
7 Contemporary Issues in Science
Unit 1 can get you up to 24 points and Units 3, 5 and 7 can get you up to 32 points each. So the maximum points from these four units is 120. There's no way to earn 109 points from just three of these units, so if you "haven’t finished any of my assignment units" then you must have done all four external (exam) units. Is that correct?
To achieve DDD overall you need a total of 216 points. If what you've said is accurate, then you're well on your way to that total, which is certainly attainable.
However, I've never heard of any school or college which teaches all the external (exam) units before any of the internal (coursework) units. So my guess is that this isn't actually what's happened.
It makes things much easier to work out if you list the number of each unit you've done, together with the grade you achieved for each. If you know the mark you obtains for each exam, then that helps too.

So far from my units that I have completed I have 109 points. So that’s Unit 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,17.
I have done my unit 1 exam in January last year. I retook my Unit 3 exam in January. I have already done my Unit 7 and 5 in January.
So far from my units that I have completed I have 109 points. So that’s Unit 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,17.

OK. So when you said "I haven’t finished any of my assignment units" you means except for units 2, 4, 8 and 17 - all of which are based on coursework (assignments)? :confused:

You still have unit 6 (Investigative Project) to do, plus four of the optional units (from units 8 through 26).

Unit 6 is larger the the other four remaining units, so can earn you up to 24 points (for a distinction). The other four units can earn you up to 16 points (for a distinction) each. So there are 88 points (24+16+16+16+16) still available. Added to your current 109 points, that's a best case scenario of 197 points.

Unfortunately, you need 216 for DDD. The best you can hope for is a DDM (which requires 196 points). And even that's "iffy" given that it requires distinctions in every remaining unit. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending